• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
INTEREST: Broccoli Warns Against Uta-Pri Doujin Goods

Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
eragon2890

PostPosted: Sat May 24, 2014 12:39 pm Reply with quote
I have an idea: if one of these fucktard companies complains again, how about everyone simply stops buying anything from them and we let them go broke? That will shut the rest up pretty good. I mean, off course they have the legal right to do something about doujinshi and other cool stuf which I like to buy, and am gonna keep buying, at conventions I go to, but I have the legal right to boycot them and thus make them go broke so that their employees can go live on the streets with their kids ´cause they can´t pay the mortgage anymore. Too bad. Should sent a clear message to other copyright fascists.

I mean these are usually people who bought the DVD´s/manga´s legally and such, so why do they feel the need to whiny-whiny so much? There is a reason the rest of the companies doesn´t complain about this, baka´s Razz
Hoppy800

PostPosted: Sat May 24, 2014 12:46 pm Reply with quote
Shut up Broccoli and let the fujoshi sell their doujin wares, they are not destroying or defaming the series you own the rights to. Play nice with your fans and cut the corporate tyranny otherwise it'll bite you in the back someday.
Nemui_Nezumi

PostPosted: Sat May 24, 2014 1:11 pm Reply with quote
Broccoli, that's.... not really a nice move honestly :/

I can understand your complains but if part of your fanbase is still holding thanks to doujinshis and such I don't think that scaring them is very intelligent, they will just stop approaching Uta-Pri and move to another thing they can freely fangirl/fanboy about

if their revenue are not that good it's maybe just because people started to get bored of the games (I remember reading a lot of complains about the latest games, it must be for something)

PD: imagine if that started to happen with Kurobasu or even Shingeki no Kyojin D:
Mohawk52

PostPosted: Sat May 24, 2014 1:16 pm Reply with quote
Laughing Whoa! the entitlement ninjas were quick to flash in with an attack. Didn't expect that [much] Laughing But Broccoli has only themselves to blame if they know full well there is a mechandise market that they are not fulfilling they needed to get their collective fingers out and commission them to a legit licensed toy manufacturer. Fortune, like power abours a vacuum. Miss your opportunity and someone else will take it out from under you before you knew it was there. Will you guy's ever learn?
MisterLuck

PostPosted: Sat May 24, 2014 1:27 pm Reply with quote
If I was Broccoli? I would just copy the designs and works of the fans selling them using better paper and materials for their fan created works. Just to see if the fans can win in court which they won't. Laughing
Hoppy800

PostPosted: Sat May 24, 2014 1:34 pm Reply with quote
MisterLuck wrote:
If I was Broccoli? I would just copy the designs and works of the fans selling them using better paper and materials for their fan created works. Just to see if the fans can win in court which they won't. Laughing

A better idea is just for the doujin creators to pay a small amount in royalties to Broccoli, 2% of the profits from sales maximum. All Broccoli wants is a piece of the pie and they could get their fair share if this happened.
Mohawk52

PostPosted: Sat May 24, 2014 1:56 pm Reply with quote
Hoppy800 wrote:
MisterLuck wrote:

A better idea is just for the doujin creators to pay a small amount in royalties to Broccoli, 2% of the profits from sales maximum. All Broccoli wants is a piece of the pie and they could get their fair share if this happened.
I don't think it's the book doujins that are taking the profits away, cause I will hazard a guess most of theose are H anyway. No I think it's more the buttons, jewellery, solid merchandise like that.
sunflower

PostPosted: Sat May 24, 2014 2:06 pm Reply with quote
Why would people buy fake merchandise if the official merchandise met their needs? Broccoli needs to take all the ideas from the fake stuff that's selling and copy it themselves. What will the fans do, sue?

Broccoli has every right to protect their product, but they need to do it in a smart way. Being asses (kind of like Funimation and DMI have done at times) only serves to alienate fans, including those who may actually buy from them.
Hoppy800

PostPosted: Sat May 24, 2014 2:16 pm Reply with quote
sunflower wrote:
Why would people buy fake merchandise if the official merchandise met their needs? Broccoli needs to take all the ideas from the fake stuff that's selling and copy it themselves. What will the fans do, sue?

Broccoli has every right to protect their product, but they need to do it in a smart way. Being asses (kind of like Funimation and DMI have done at times) only serves to alienate fans, including those who may actually buy from them.

1) Character merchandise from supporting and even some main characters may not exist on official channels. This is a huge problem for me since quite a few series have characters I like but don't get official figures.

2) Quality, sometimes the merchandise that's official are of not so desirable or bad quality and the merchandise from a doujin circle has better quality. It still happens but was more of an issue around 2002-2003 where figures weren't of the best quality.

3) Preference, the best chance to get a figure or dakimakura (especially 18+ ones) that suits your fetish is from a doujin circle.
Cptn_Taylor

PostPosted: Sat May 24, 2014 2:23 pm Reply with quote
This thread once again shows just how f-u-c-k-i-n-g entitled anime/manga fans are.
From fansubs to doujishi's. Get this straight, making a doujinshi and selling it at Comiket is a privilege the copyright holder grants the fans.
It's nothing more than that. As such it can be revoked at the copyright holder's request. And when fan made products start eating into the legitimate market you can expect the copyright holder to clamp down on the fans that make said products.
Hoppy800

PostPosted: Sat May 24, 2014 2:28 pm Reply with quote
Cptn_Taylor wrote:
This thread once again shows just how f-u-c-k-i-n-g entitled anime/manga fans are.
From fansubs to doujishi's. Get this straight, making a doujinshi and selling it at Comiket is a privilege the copyright holder grants the fans.
It's nothing more than that. As such it can be revoked at the copyright holder's request. And when fan made products start eating into the legitimate market you can expect the copyright holder to clamp down on the fans that make said products.

The problem is that it's not eating away at the legitimate market, I don't believe Broccoli for one second on this. I'd understand if it was a series that only sold 100 BDs and their merchandise sold almost nothing at all but Utapri is a series that sells regardless, they haven't lost a single yen and if they were read concerned this bad they should've instituted a small royalty fee.
eragon2890

PostPosted: Sat May 24, 2014 2:43 pm Reply with quote
Cptn_Taylor wrote:

Nobody cares. If fans get too pissed of, they go out of business because people don't buy from them anymore, and they can go be morally right in their bankruptcy grave. Got that straight? Anime hyper

That's why this is stupid.
mdo7

PostPosted: Sat May 24, 2014 2:56 pm Reply with quote
Cptn_Taylor wrote:

Well sadly for you, there's seem to be evidence that piracy doesn't harm the market at all. After seeing that, it makes me question if Japan's "piracy hurt anime/manga" logic is under fire, and I think it is.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
unitmikey

PostPosted: Sat May 24, 2014 3:04 pm Reply with quote
I grapple with situations like these.
I try to support the industry as best I can, buying DVDs and manga volumes and watching zero fansubs. I understand the sentiment behind the company to protect what is their product.
But the doujin community is something that has existed for so long now, both when the industry was doing better or worse. In this way, I don't see that it really has much effect on the official show/product.
This also blends into the artist alleys and etsy stores, which everyone else seems to be fine with. I have thought of selling Tshirts online with fanart I've done, but it's things like this that make me hesitant because I do care for the people and creators within the industry.
Lavnovice9

PostPosted: Sat May 24, 2014 3:13 pm Reply with quote
Cptn_Taylor wrote:

Anime's the one fandom where entitlement is actually justified. Unlike video game fans who just puff hot air when they threaten EA or Activision with boycotts which have zero weight to those threats because they're just a drop in the pond, the anime market actually is run by the fans. That's the great things about niche market VS mass market. The fans actually have power. When you live and die by your fans, you do have to listen to them. In this case, if Broccoli pisses off enough of them then it is going to hurt their profits as people leave to go flock to other properties like Kuroko because Shueisha doesn't pull stuff like this. Attacking the doujin market is one of the stupidest things a company can do. So many aspiring creators get their work starting as doujin artists and the community is what keeps some of these shows in the public consciousness and keeps the fandom alive between seasons. It's also a great way to judge potential marketing endeavors. A lot of big hits wouldn't be where they are without Comiket or the doujin community.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next
Page 1 of 3