• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Astro Toy - Proplica Moon Stick

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Gina Szanboti

PostPosted: Sun May 25, 2014 2:02 pm Reply with quote
Though they probably leave the batteries out only because they're cheap, I suppose it does have an advantage for hard core collectors who most value toys in unopened boxes. Batteries leaking in the box after years of storage would ruin the investment (and would be dangerous as well). Button batteries aren't so prone to leakage, but their seals do still have a shelf life.
Levitz9

PostPosted: Sun May 25, 2014 11:43 pm Reply with quote
Combine one of these with some Precure toys and you'll be the coolest kid in Tokyo.

It's great that these are coming out now, when many of Sailor Moon's original fans are old enough to afford the thing.

About that box... I like how, at first glance, Sailor Moon looks like a ribbon under the jewel. Also, my sister saw the box: she thought it read "Moo Stick".
PseudoFiction

PostPosted: Mon May 26, 2014 12:21 am Reply with quote
you pressed that button real good dave

bravo
configspace

PostPosted: Mon May 26, 2014 12:54 am Reply with quote
That seam in the middle of the crescent makes it look cheap and even more toy-like than it already is.

I think a collectors version should be made of metal, solid pieces without visible seams. Maybe powder coated deep pink aluminum for the wand and more dull but metallic (speckled) crescent. And real crystal.

Now what would push this into or beyond fine-arts territory would be if that crescent were made of real gold Cool
Violynne

PostPosted: Mon May 26, 2014 10:19 am Reply with quote
Quote:
I dunno about no hundred dollars for it. In my toy-nerd estimation this is a $60-70 piece.

For a piece of plastic.

Bandai should have at least used metal for the crest and glass for the gem if it's going to charge customers this much. I doubt this cost Bandai $7 to make and package.

Proplica: Japanese for "cheap plastic ripoff".

Bandai puts metal into its high-end mecha line but can't do so for these.

What an insult to fans.
Dessa

PostPosted: Mon May 26, 2014 10:29 am Reply with quote
Violynne and configspace have hit it on why this has been bothering me, and I couldn't voice it. The fact that it's all plastic.

I don't mind the crystal being plastic, using glass would be too fragile, and depending on the crystal could either a) make it too fragile as well, b) skyrocket the price, c) not make it light up correctly, or d) any or all of the above.

But the crescent should have been die-cast. The Legendary Dragon Dagger*, released this year** by Bandai of America, used die-cast for the gold on it. Yes, the blade is still that rubber that they use for all of the toku/power rangers blades, and yes, the rest of it is plastic, but all of the gold is die-cast (except for possibly the buttons... it's been a while since I held one), and it's completely show-accurate in size, and, most likely, in weight. Yes, a real blade would make this heavier, but considering it's a magic sword, it wouldn't have the weight of the electronics inside.

*I do not support Amazon right now, but a) only Amazon and Toys R Us carry the product, b) TRU doesn't have it in stock and charges $20 more for it, and c) TRU's website doesn't have as good of a "zoom in" feature to see the details.
** Yes, it's on pre-order at Amazon. It started as a TRU exclusive at the beginning of the year, next month Amazon is allowed to sell it.
Violynne

PostPosted: Mon May 26, 2014 2:10 pm Reply with quote
Dessa wrote:
I don't mind the crystal being plastic, using glass would be too fragile, and depending on the crystal could either a) make it too fragile as well, b) skyrocket the price, c) not make it light up correctly, or d) any or all of the above.

A valid response, so I'll correct my response to say quartz. It's inexpensive, and looks similar to glass without being fragile. Light also reflects very well in crystal.

Anything but plastic.
Brand

PostPosted: Mon May 26, 2014 5:23 pm Reply with quote
I saw the box and thought, this will be cool. But does it disappoint. I think my toy moon stick from the 90s looked better. I do have to agree better materials could have been used especially at that price.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Knight-Hart

PostPosted: Mon May 26, 2014 7:23 pm Reply with quote
It sucks now that even if they do make a better one, because they're already released this one, it's bound to be at least twice the price.
kawaiibunny3

PostPosted: Mon May 26, 2014 10:19 pm Reply with quote
I'm holding out for some of the other trinkets from the series that I'd be more willing to shell out that kind of money for
(c'moooon Chibi Moon's Wand) since they really seem to be paying attention to detail

I'm okay with it being just plastic. metal's cool and all, but I'd cry if it ever tarnished or something. plus some of those wands are pretty weighted, i don't wanna pay an extra in shipping it just for the weight of the metal.
WeirDiE_InC

PostPosted: Tue May 27, 2014 1:22 pm Reply with quote
As nice as metal would be, I think it's impractical on a small role-play toy like this. Those Power Rangers legacy products are heavy as they are with the die-cast making up less that 40%.

Also, that crescent is poooin-teee.
Dessa

PostPosted: Tue May 27, 2014 6:06 pm Reply with quote
WeirDiE_InC wrote:
As nice as metal would be, I think it's impractical on a small role-play toy like this. Those Power Rangers legacy products are heavy as they are with the die-cast making up less that 40%.

Also, that crescent is poooin-teee.

Except that this isn't a role-play toy, it's a collector's item.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1