• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
REVIEW: Fairy Tail BD+DVD Parts 7-8

Goto page 1, 2  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Stark700

PostPosted: Tue May 27, 2014 11:02 am Reply with quote
This was probably my least favorite arc from FT when I watched it awhile ago. Somehow, I wasn't fond of any of the antagonists at all. I like the way it was set up though and some of the humor behind it with the characters.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
zeo1fan

PostPosted: Tue May 27, 2014 11:52 am Reply with quote
Calling him a 'pansy' is a bit harsh, no? He doesn't act that differently from your average anime ingenue.
dtm42

PostPosted: Tue May 27, 2014 1:05 pm Reply with quote
Wish the review spent less time on comparisons to the manga and more time just talking about the show itself.

Review wrote:
It's not DBZ-level bloat...

It both saddens and irritates me that DBZ is still held up as the ultimate example of shounen bloat. It's not just this review, I see this sentiment everywhere. But in fact, Bleach, Naruto and One Piece are far more egregious and recent (and therefore relevant) examples.
CrisGer A.A.

PostPosted: Tue May 27, 2014 1:18 pm Reply with quote
I am once again appalled at the trivial shallow and callous way some people review Fairy Tail, it appears to be a difficult series for some so called anime 'reviewers" to grasp and to appreciate.

Firstly this cycle of Edolas was superb, as were ALL of the episodes leading up to it and none of them can be remotely called "filler" as some people love to try to pan the essential relaxed and fun episodes that release pressure from many of the anime series. Each one is a jewel of its own quality and all of them in this cycle are superb.

The Edolas story is a difficult one for it takes the cast to an entirely new and alien world. As a portrayal OF an alien world this is superb work, it truly conveys the feeling of somewhere very different yet very believable and the other aspects of the mirroring of the main characters is lovely and very well done.

The art animation and character design of Fairy Tail continues to be first rate and among the best of any fantasy anime yet made. Each character has its own charm and is totally solid and well made. The character of each is revealed in the dialog, both the Japanese and the English dialog is very well matched and reflects the spirit of the series.

And as for the dubbing, the best dub by far is the Animax dub, each character VA is fantastic and evokes the characters in wonderful ways. Sadly the Class A VA team of Animax only dubbed Fairy Tail up thru ep 104, but this cycle is fully done by them and really great in every way. Especially well done are Natsu, Grey, Lucy, and Erza, and Happy....but all of the rest are very good too. It is worthwhile watching this set for it is by far and above much much better than the Funi version. The Japanese original is better but not accessible to all due to the language barrier.

In the end, this cycle is superb and the entire series is getting better and better, and it now holds in my view the premier place of honour of fantasy anime far above One Piece or any other claimant. I am sure that Fairy Tail will hold its place among the all time classics like Inuyasha and Kenshin, and I am so glad we are now enjoying more new episodes of Fairy Tail tho the character design has morphed a bit, esp for Lucy they seem to be coming back on track with more balance with that aspect.

I am sorry that Fairy Tail continues to be a challenge for many to appreciate who write coverage and I will continue to pray that we can find reviewers who can understand the depth and the quality that this superb series offers us.
jr240483

PostPosted: Tue May 27, 2014 1:24 pm Reply with quote
well at least its not like the daphne arc.

cause at least this arc is more enjoyable than that arc. even the filler time clock arc was a lot better than the daphne arc.

and there was some good things. of course one of them is mystogan, though i was really hoping he was actually jalall's twin segraine instead of being the edloas counterpart. and of course carla & happy's origins. which is a plus and kind of a tear jerker moment. of course more people liked this arc for two reasons. #1)Erza VS Erza and the second is OP #8 which everyone thinks is the best OP of the series.

the funny part was the weird disguises. especially the only happy used. if you haven't seen it either in the anime or manga,you'll definitely LOL'ed if you have a funny bone. the same said for the edolas version of Ichiya if you haven't seen it. of course the other reason this arc exist is for Gageel to have his own flying kitty cat.

unfortunately there was flaws. one is of course the edolas counterparts of fairy tail which is kinda stupid which was why only edo lucy got any airtime which is another flaw of the arc. having a character do a 180 just for the sake of otaku fanservice (which is proof from the crapload of doujins of the two lucys) is extremely stupid. which brings the biggest flaw of the whole arc. Lisanna.

dont get me wrong i like her, but to bring a character back from the dead just for the sake of fanservice is the best way to kill a series. am I wrong? if your gonna mention a character who is already dead , they should stay dead. i mean if the author let the whole bring dead characters for the sake of fanservice bit takes over,its like opening pandora's box. what's next ? would he next pull a NGE or code geass and tempoarily bring lucy's mom back from the dead? it would be open season if that had happened.

all in all , its still a solid arc,if not for for the flaws. at least it can be easily washed away with the Tenrou Island/Grimwore Heart arc which is the better of the arc for the entire series. especially since there are also a majority are waiting for the grand magic games arc.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
thekingsdinner

PostPosted: Tue May 27, 2014 1:43 pm Reply with quote
"final boss looks disconcertingly like a Pokémon."
I honestly laughed loudly at that part. I don't even know what they're talking about.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Second Fire Shadow

PostPosted: Tue May 27, 2014 3:00 pm Reply with quote
CrisGer A.A. wrote:
I am once again appalled at the trivial shallow and callous way some people review Fairy Tail, it appears to be a difficult series for some so called anime 'reviewers" to grasp and to appreciate.

Your really overreacting, this review gave a pretty fair score for what Fairy Tail is and judging it on what it could be... like any review of anything you've ever seen.

CrisGer A.A. wrote:
Firstly this cycle of Edolas was superb, as were ALL of the episodes leading up to it and none of them can be remotely called "filler" as some people love to try to pan the essential relaxed and fun episodes that release pressure from many of the anime series. Each one is a jewel of its own quality and all of them in this cycle are superb.

The Edolas Arc was pretty good, I'll give you that. But just like the review stated, it could, and probably should, have been better.

CrisGer A.A. wrote:
The art animation and character design of Fairy Tail continues to be first rate and among the best of any fantasy anime yet made. Each character has its own charm and is totally solid and well made. The character of each is revealed in the dialog, both the Japanese and the English dialog is very well matched and reflects the spirit of the series.

Not really, there are a lot, and I mean a lot, of fantasy Anime that make Fairy Tail's animation and art look really average at best. And characters of Fairy Tail are kinda one dimensional, with the possible exceptions of Erza and Jellal. But the worst case of a character not getting any development as far as I'm concerned is Gray. He is generic is every sense...

CrisGer A.A. wrote:
And as for the dubbing, the best dub by far is the Animax dub.

No way in bloody way in hell is the dub for Fairy Tail better than freakin Cowboy Bebop, Fullmetal Alchemist, InuYasha and several other dubs by Animax just to name a few.

CrisGer A.A. wrote:
In the end, this cycle is superb and the entire series is getting better and better, and it now holds in my view the premier place of honour of fantasy anime far above One Piece or any other claimant. I am sure that Fairy Tail will hold its place among the all time classics like Inuyasha and Kenshin, and I am so glad we are now enjoying more new episodes of Fairy Tail tho the character design has morphed a bit, esp for Lucy they seem to be coming back on track with more balance with that aspect.

I understand everyone has their own opinion but... what? Fairy Tail is nowhere as good as One Piece, Inuyasha and Kenshin and it sure as hell isn't going to be remembered as an all time classic. The only Shonen anime that's going to remembered as an all time classic with the likes of Fist Of The North Star, YuYu Hakusho and Dragon Ball is One Piece, which for the record is amazing in every sense. Fairy Tail will most likely remembered as Dragon Ball Z with Wizards. But that's what people love about it.

CrisGer A.A. wrote:
I am sorry that Fairy Tail continues to be a challenge for many to appreciate who write coverage and I will continue to pray that we can find reviewers who can understand the depth and the quality that this superb series offers us.

Did you take time to actually read the review before you went on this rant? He said that the Edolas Arc was "fun", but does one fun arc justify a series that has constantly been mediocre prior to it continuing? That's the question he's asking in this review. And it's a pretty justifiable question to ask as well. Fairy Tail is your usual run-of-the-mill Shonen Action Ecchi Comedy, like I said, Dragon Ball with Wizards. But there in lies the main problem with the show and why there is so much backlash towards it on the internet, it doesn't try to be anything unique or different. It's just muscular wizards and well endowed women fighting each other every chance they get. Something we've some many times in the last 20 years. Many people, such as yourself, love it for that concept and you have every right to. But many others, such as myself admittedly, don't care for the show or like it just for that concept alone and have every right to. It's called "Having an opinion". Wink

Last edited by Second Fire Shadow on Wed May 28, 2014 4:27 am; edited 1 time in total
Second Fire Shadow

PostPosted: Tue May 27, 2014 4:03 pm Reply with quote
dtm42 wrote:
It both saddens and irritates me that DBZ is still held up as the ultimate example of shounen bloat. It's not just this review, I see this sentiment everywhere. But in fact, Bleach, Naruto and One Piece are far more egregious and recent (and therefore relevant) examples.

Yeah, I know what you mean. Naruto, One Piece and Bleach have been way more guilty of bloating their show than Dragon Ball Z ever was. Naruto is quite possibly the worst example of a bloated shonen anime or manga I've ever come across, it flat out abuses the concept of filler. The amount of filer acrs there have been in that show is countless and at one stage didn't Naruto have like 80 episodes of filler back to back?
Araki

PostPosted: Tue May 27, 2014 4:07 pm Reply with quote
CrisGer A.A. wrote:

That's because "reviewers" watched enough anime to know that everything Fairy Tail does was done countless times, and better, already.

Second Fire Shadow wrote:
Naruto is quite possibly the worst example of a bloated shonen anime or manga I've ever come across, it flat out abuses the concept of filler. The amount of filer acrs there have been in that show is countless and at one stage didn't Naruto have like 80 episodes of filler back to back?

If we put Naruto and Shippuuden together, i'm afraid at least 50% of the show is filler..
EighteenSky

PostPosted: Tue May 27, 2014 4:56 pm Reply with quote
jr0904 wrote:
don't get me wrong i like her, but to bring a character back from the dead just for the sake of fanservice is the best way to kill a series. am I wrong? if your gonna mention a character who is already dead , they should stay dead. i mean if the author let the whole bring dead characters for the sake of fanservice bit takes over,its like opening pandora's box. what's next ? would he next pull a NGE or code geass and tempoarily bring lucy's mom back from the dead? it would be open season if that had happened.

But she was never confirmed as dead, believed to be but not confirmed so how can she be brought back from the dead? You are totally over exaggerating it with your bit below that. Mashima is not Kishimoto, he won't bring characters back from the dead for stupid reasons, he hasn't done so once in the entire series (mainly because he doesn't often kill off characters). And she wasn't brought back for the fanservice, that's ridiculous if you think that no matter how much the mangaka likes it.

Second Fire Shadow wrote:
But the worst case of a character not getting any development as far as I'm concerned is Gray. He is generic is every sense...

Of all the characters in this series you could have chosen for not having any character development you choose Gray. Seriously? Have you actually watched/read this series?
immblueversion

PostPosted: Tue May 27, 2014 5:01 pm Reply with quote
CrisGer A.A. wrote:
And as for the dubbing, the best dub by far is the Animax dub, each character VA is fantastic and evokes the characters in wonderful ways. Sadly the Class A VA team of Animax only dubbed Fairy Tail up thru ep 104, but this cycle is fully done by them and really great in every way. Especially well done are Natsu, Grey, Lucy, and Erza, and Happy....but all of the rest are very good too. It is worthwhile watching this set for it is by far and above much much better than the Funi version. The Japanese original is better but not accessible to all due to the language barrier.

I don't see your point.

Last edited by immblueversion on Tue May 27, 2014 10:34 pm; edited 1 time in total
Second Fire Shadow

PostPosted: Tue May 27, 2014 5:14 pm Reply with quote
EighteenSky wrote:
Of all the characters in this series you could have chosen for not having any character development you choose Gray. Seriously? Have you actually watched/read this series?

As far as the manga goes, yes. The only thing that struck me about Gray was that he always seem to be naked, but that act ended up dying pretty quickly. He's another one of those generic "I'm cool but occasionally get embarrassed or do something stupid" type of character, which could literally describe about 80% of cast.
CrisGer A.A.

PostPosted: Tue May 27, 2014 8:54 pm Reply with quote
Sorry but One Piece is a shallow and trivial series without quality and overly kinetic.

Fairy Tail is for many reasons which appear to be beyond many people's usual experience or understanding of fantasy literature..very good indeed. It is much better than just about any other similar genre series. And it continues to get better.

And yes the Animax Dub is superb one of the best dubs into English I have seen. Just sorry that the A team of their VA did not carry on with episodes after 104. We can hope they may do the latest season.

Reviewers of any form of art, or literature are NOT guaranteed to understand or know what they are talking about just because they are chosen to publish their works. In this case and in the case of many of the posts i have seen on Fairy Tail, its special mix of Japanese culture, Japanese view of fantasy and anime in particular seems opaque to many western viewers and esp to many fans of anime. I am far more than a fan, i have been studying anime in a dedicated fashion in depth for many years now and am a professional artist in both western art and now work in anime and manga myself. But I shared my concerns and views because I am tired of seeing FT panned with such superficial and glib dismissal.

In time I believe true values will emerge, Fist of the North and One Piece will thankfully be forgotten on the trash heap of transition anime I am glad to say.
immblueversion

PostPosted: Tue May 27, 2014 10:19 pm Reply with quote
CrisGer A.A. wrote:
And yes the Animax Dub is superb one of the best dubs into English I have seen. Just sorry that the A team of their VA did not carry on with episodes after 104. We can hope they may do the latest season.

Are we thinking of the same dub? If I'm not mistaken, the Animax dub I've seen is regarded by quite a few people as a dub so poorly done, it's been mistaken as an amateur fandub.

Personally, the Animax actors sound more like they're mimicing the Japanese actors' inflections than giving a good performance and trying to bring their character to life.

That, and the way they read some of their lines is just awful. For example, in episode 3, Natsu says they're gonna put "Plan T" into motion. In the Animax dub Lucy asks, "What on Earth is Plan T?" Not bad on paper (if only just a little too formal for Lucy's character), but the way Lucy's actress reads it just kills the line dead: "Wut, on, urth, is, plan, t."

Now, not all the lines are read quite as horrifically as that, but every so often a character will put an acCENT on the wrong sylLABle, or a weird inflection on the wrong word. Some lines are just flat out rushed, and others have long, awkward pauses even when you can't see the character's mouths (either they're thinking or their faces are off-screen), thus giving no excuse for long, awkward pauses.

Yeah, there are some silly and stupid voices here and there, not to mention a handful of ungodly tacky accents, but that only applies to a select group of characters. I can put all that aside so long as the voice actors are good. And the voice actors picked for Fairy Tail's Animax dub...aren't. I'm sure they could be great with better direction and scripting, but they don't have that.

And so, I'm sticking with the Funimation dub. As spotty as it is in places, it does have its share of decent translation decisions that make the characters seem more alive, even if their voices don't quite match; that said, there's literally a handful I consider truly unfitting (mainly Levy).
Michael Nathanael T.

PostPosted: Tue May 27, 2014 11:23 pm Reply with quote
thekingsdinner wrote:
"final boss looks disconcertingly like a Pokémon."
I honestly laughed loudly at that part. I don't even know what they're talking about.

They're talking about "Dorma Anim" the strongest enemy in the Edolas arc.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2