• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Dragon Quest Gets Guinness Record for Longest-Running Japanese RPG Series

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
mdo7

PostPosted: Sat Jun 21, 2014 11:37 am Reply with quote
Congrats, Square Enix and DQ for making that achievement. Smile
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Shadowrun20XX

PostPosted: Sat Jun 21, 2014 11:46 am Reply with quote
Its the most consistent RPG anyway. Great job Yuji. Final fantasy fans would be hatin if they weren't merged.
Aquaregia99

PostPosted: Sat Jun 21, 2014 12:45 pm Reply with quote
So it's longest running as opposed to number of main entries into a series or number of games in a intellectual property?

If it was number of games in an IP I'd guess it would have gone with Final Fantasy with all of the spin-offs/etc.

If it was the number of main entries into a series I believe the Atelier series is releasing number 16 next month.
GATSU

PostPosted: Sat Jun 21, 2014 1:42 pm Reply with quote
Aqua: DQ has its own sizable amount of spin-offs.
consignia

PostPosted: Sat Jun 21, 2014 2:01 pm Reply with quote
It's hardly an impressive record, and it's almost entirely meaningless. You could put out a sequel of a JRPG from before the first Dragon Quest, and therefore it would be longer. Are we still counting the series as running? The next game may never materialise (no matter how unlikely), would that then role the series to have finished at 9?

Bah, humbug.
GiriOni

PostPosted: Sat Jun 21, 2014 2:02 pm Reply with quote
Now if only we could get the DQ7 remake in NA and EU. Then I could be even more excited.
walw6pK4Alo

PostPosted: Sat Jun 21, 2014 2:04 pm Reply with quote
It's definitely the series that keeps consistently getting doujinshi and fanart made. Maybe it's due to rereleases, but other old properties that get rereleased or remade aren't treated the same. 3, 4, and 5 always have new material available, it's great. And entire other properties like Maoyuu are based off of DQ3.
Romuska
Subscriber

PostPosted: Sat Jun 21, 2014 3:19 pm Reply with quote
Now if we can just get Dragon Quest X stateside.
Stuart Smith

PostPosted: Sat Jun 21, 2014 4:52 pm Reply with quote
consignia wrote:
It's hardly an impressive record, and it's almost entirely meaningless. You could put out a sequel of a JRPG from before the first Dragon Quest, and therefore it would be longer.

I'm not sure why you're trying to downplay Dragon Quest's success. Dragon Quest routinely puts out games and has over 30 entries under the franchise. That's quite impressive feat and is hardly some technicality you're trying to suggest.

-Stuart Smith
consignia

PostPosted: Sat Jun 21, 2014 5:28 pm Reply with quote
Stuart Smith wrote:
consignia wrote:
It's hardly an impressive record, and it's almost entirely meaningless. You could put out a sequel of a JRPG from before the first Dragon Quest, and therefore it would be longer.

I'm not sure why you're trying to downplay Dragon Quest's success. Dragon Quest routinely puts out games and has over 30 entries under the franchise. That's quite impressive feat and is hardly some technicality you're trying to suggest.

-Stuart Smith

So how about a more meaningful metric, say most units sold?

I was somewhat joking, and Dragon Quest in many ways is an impressive series, I just think "long running JRPG" is a meaningless title to achieve.
Rahxephon91

PostPosted: Sat Jun 21, 2014 6:44 pm Reply with quote
How is long running a meaningless title when it implies a long history of success?

Many other jrpg series are dead in the water.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime
consignia

PostPosted: Sat Jun 21, 2014 7:05 pm Reply with quote
"Long history of success" is not the record it won, though, it won "longest running". Which could imply simply two unsuccessful instalments released longer apart than the first and currently last instalments of Dragon Quest. Or have loads more actual releases, despite not selling a whiff as much.

Look, all I'm saying is this "Guinness Record" is meaningless, not that Dragon Quest is non-notable.
Cecilthedarkknight_234

PostPosted: Sat Jun 21, 2014 7:42 pm Reply with quote
Rahxephon91 wrote:
How is long running a meaningless title when it implies a long history of success?

Many other jrpg series are dead in the water.

Aye don't get me started, phantasy star and shining force have been dead for years now.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
KH91

PostPosted: Sat Jun 21, 2014 8:08 pm Reply with quote
Meanwhile, Yoshihiro Togashi is trying to set a Guiness record for putting his manga on hitaus for years just to play Dragon Quest.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1