• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Akame ga Kill! (TV).

Goto page   Next

Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Series Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Stark700

PostPosted: Fri Jun 20, 2014 9:43 pm Reply with quote

Akame ga Kill! (TV)

Genres: action, comedy, drama, fantasy, horror, psychological, romance
Themes: assassins, corruption, fighting, gore, politics, revolution, science fantasy, tragedy

Plot Summary: Tatsumi is a self-acknowledge country bumpkin who is nonetheless a well trained fighter. He and two companions leave their remote village to head to the Imperial City to find a way to relieve their friends and family from ruinous taxation imposed by the authorities. Yet the Imperial City is filled with unimaginable amounts of corruption and evil from supernatural sources. Tatsumi is immediately swindled after reaching the City and nearly loses everything soon after, but finds himself allied with an unlikely group of assassins.
----------------------------------

Preview:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_embedded&v=iOle_TmHE_A

A preview is out now! For a 2 cour show, this is definitely something I'd keep in mind for this Summer. White Fox, one of my favorite studios will be animating this. The PV has promising moments although it's missing some key characters in there. Nonetheless, a 2 cour has already been announced so definitely looking forward to this Smile
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
WhiteHairGirls

PostPosted: Sun Jun 29, 2014 12:02 am Reply with quote
Now the big question is, will this be censored? There is A LOT of gore. It makes Another look pretty tame. If ~25% of episodes are censored like Pupa, I will be really disappointed. There is also spoiler[rape and pedophilia in the manga. ] I wonder if those scenes will be removed.
Yttrbio

PostPosted: Sun Jun 29, 2014 12:36 am Reply with quote
The show would be fine without most of the gore. If they just cut around it, it'll be fine, but if they cover the screen in mysterious inexplicable shadows, it'll be obnoxious as heck.
Stark700

PostPosted: Sun Jul 06, 2014 12:15 pm Reply with quote
Episode 1:

Pretty good episode so far. I noticed there wasn't much censoring which is a plus since it bought out more of the credibility of the show. Some of the comedic moments felt off though especially when that spoiler[fight between Tatsumi and Akame got interrupted.]

Anyways, this set up the show pretty well in general seeing as spoiler[Night Raid being the protagonists after seeing the darkness inside the Imperial Empire. Hopefully, we'll see their rivals soon since I saw a clip of it in the OP song.]
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
ookamigirl

PostPosted: Sun Jul 06, 2014 12:23 pm Reply with quote

That kid was so naive it's ridiculous.
At least he caught a lucky break rather fast.
Or so he thought...
And got up to speed with current events in a blink of an eye.
Night Raid was pretty awesome.
Damn, they all need to die.
Will give this one a try.
Spastic Minnow
Bargain Hunter
Exempt from Grammar Rules

PostPosted: Sun Jul 06, 2014 12:57 pm Reply with quote
There's one thing I really don't get that really should be explained.

I mean, come on...
spoiler[
That sweater

]

Okay,yeah, that's supposed to a joke, but knowing nothing about the show going in, it did make me think it was going to be yet another show about a normal guy from "the real world" getting sucked into another RPG game or alternate world. He's a striped tie and blazer away from a school uniform.

plus, you know, spoiler[not all the club soda in the world is going to get all the blood stains out of that cotton/wool blend!]
Yttrbio

PostPosted: Sun Jul 06, 2014 1:06 pm Reply with quote
I'm sure his backpack is filled with 30 identical versions of the same outfit. It'll be fine.
Shikiari

PostPosted: Sun Jul 06, 2014 6:03 pm Reply with quote
I've been looking forward to this for a while after seeing the first preview.

I thought the first episode was pretty good. It got straight to the point with moralities. The spoiler[Capitol is full to the brim with evil and Night Raid is determined to kill it all]. No beating around the bush with this one.

It was refreshing to see spoiler[Tatsumi kill] without a moments hesitation. If he's willing to do so now, we won't have to waste numerous episodes with him pansying around the notion.

I'm definitely digging the spoiler[cream sweater vest look]. Let's hope he's good at getting excessive blood stains out.
Gina Szanboti

PostPosted: Sun Jul 06, 2014 7:31 pm Reply with quote
Spastic Minnow wrote:
There's one thing I really don't get that really should be explained.

I mean, come on...
spoiler[That sweater]

It's how you know he's from the country.
Blood-
Bargain Hunter

PostPosted: Sun Jul 06, 2014 8:39 pm Reply with quote
Liking this so far. Bummed out that our hero's spoiler[two friends are dead - even their brief intro made it seem like they'd be kind of cool.]
Jacquipuff

PostPosted: Sun Jul 06, 2014 10:45 pm Reply with quote
From the bits and pieces I'd heard about the manga, this first episode was more or less what I was expecting, but I liked it. I look forward to seeing the members of Night Raid in action in future episodes.

Even though I could pretty much guess that spoiler[Aria and her parents were going to turn out to be evil], it was still pretty horrifying when the storehouse doors were opened and everything was revealed. And it was also immensely satisfying to see spoiler[Tatsumi kill her without any hesitation] after that. But yeah, his sweater really does seem out of place in this setting...
Gina Szanboti

PostPosted: Mon Jul 07, 2014 1:19 am Reply with quote
I felt like they really botched that scene though by telegraphing it so hard. spoiler[Instead of having Tube-top building up to what's behind the door and then kicking it in, they should have just had Tatsumi trying to take the girl in there for refuge, fling open the doors and find *gasp*! It would have had the added jolt of out of the frying pan, into the shop of horrors, as well as the element of surprise. Then he could have gotten the explanation, and she could have played innocent and all that. It's just that once you already knew something awful was in there, and who was responsible, the shock value was gone by the time it was revealed.]
Galap

PostPosted: Mon Jul 07, 2014 1:29 am Reply with quote
Well that escalated quickly...

What was that with those blood letters that came out of the guy's cut neck? Some kind of death curse? I thought that was cool.

spoiler[ I was expecting something to be wrong about the family, but not... that dramatically so. I was expecting something like him becoming indebted to them and them making him work for them in some dangerous or unsavory ways, or maybe selling him to the army or something. I liked how he just cut her down, too. Makes complete sense to me, seeing as she was just screaming about how his best friend deserved to die, after him just seeing that she was responsible for it. Also, people might think that the family's murderous operations are way over the top and unrealistic, but sadly something very similar has actually happened (not the most pleasant thing to read, but interesting in this context). I would be surprised if this weren't a direct reference to that.]
walw6pK4Alo

PostPosted: Mon Jul 07, 2014 2:38 am Reply with quote
If this anime didn't actually have the stones to be graphic with its violence, I likely would have dropped it. I haven't read the manga, but anime adaptations are always likely to be toned down and kneecapped and thus lose all of that fanservice interest. spoiler[But the prospect of this team going around and brutally slaughtering people makes it a goddamn keeper. Sold. I wish I could just marathon it right now. I also didn't mind all of the weird off-kilter comedy during the violent bits, that stuff worked for Hellsing.]
casualfan

PostPosted: Mon Jul 07, 2014 3:40 am Reply with quote
This is like 'retribution' the anime. loving the show's premise. Also really glad that the mc isn't your typical goody two-shoes hero. This could be the best show of the season for me if it keeps the same quality.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Series Discussion All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page   Next
Page 1 of 35