• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Glasslip (TV).

Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10  Next

Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Series Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
L'Imperatore

PostPosted: Tue Jun 24, 2014 6:05 am Reply with quote

Glasslip (TV)

Genres: slice of life

Plot Summary:Tōko Fukami's family runs a glass-working business in a small seaside town. She hangs out with her four best friends at a cafe called "Kazemichi." During the summer break of their senior year in high school, they meet a transfer student named Kakeru Okikura, who claims that a voice from the future talks to him, and that it's led him to Tōko. His arrival sets off a series of events that will make their final summer together one full of hope and heartache.
----------------------------------

Frankly, first sentence of the plot summary above is what attracts me most. Since this is a show by P.A. Works, we can expect some gorgeous visual treat, hopefully focusing on the awesome art of glassforming. I believe they don't slap the word "Glass" into the title for nothing. Very Happy

Meanwhile, still patiently waiting for the ever-creative Japanese to create an anime focusing on altar woodcarving.
Stark700

PostPosted: Thu Jul 03, 2014 11:16 am Reply with quote
Episode 1:

Great animation thanks to P.A. Works. Otherwise, it was a decent start so far. The ending seems to have escalated some drama while most of the main characters are introduced. I do expect some mild romance in this with some hints already in the pilot episode.

Oh and that ED song? SO CUTE.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
SethMosrite

PostPosted: Thu Jul 03, 2014 11:24 am Reply with quote
P.A. Works + nano.RIPE, I am happy again.
DuskyPredator

PostPosted: Thu Jul 03, 2014 12:13 pm Reply with quote
Episode 1

Has a very Nagi no Asakura feel to it, especially with that super drama love triangle bit at the end, you feel the angst. But this looks like a mostly fun not too serious series, a fairly heavy art feel to it, and chickens.
ookamigirl

PostPosted: Thu Jul 03, 2014 12:45 pm Reply with quote

Art looks really nice.
That's the first thing that caught my eye.
OP was oh so slice of life charming.
Not a bad choice to start off with a spoiler[festival].
It's simple, yet it sucks you right in.
Might give this one a try..
WhiteHairGirls

PostPosted: Thu Jul 03, 2014 3:56 pm Reply with quote
Wow this transfer student is such an alpha male. "Am I friend or foe?". First name basis with the main girl already. Apparently his appearance was just enough to spark some drama. I can understand that guy being hostile, but why did the glasses girl stand up? She seemed like a shy, bookworm character.
Jacquipuff

PostPosted: Thu Jul 03, 2014 11:03 pm Reply with quote
I ended up liking Nagi no Asukara much, much more than I had initially expected, so I'm hoping I'll like this next P.A. Works series, too, but as of the first episode I'm not quite sure what to think. Obviously we're going to get some love drama, but other than that I'm not sure what to expect, so I'll be watching the next episode in order to remedy that.

I did like the part with the chickens. It was silly, but adorably so. As was the ending sequence. Which also had the chickens in it. Does this mean the chickens count as characters? I could go for some more chicken scenes, if they continue to be cute.

They made opening that ramune bottle look so easy...I'm always afraid I'll hurt my hand if I hit it too hard, so I can never open them by myself...
SethMosrite

PostPosted: Thu Jul 03, 2014 11:37 pm Reply with quote
@Jacquipuff, you need to check out Hanasaku Iroha.
casualfan

PostPosted: Fri Jul 04, 2014 1:43 am Reply with quote
Not really a fan of the whole one-sided love aspect, but the beautiful character design and peaceful atmosphere won me over. The main character seems interesting too, although he's a bit too mature for his age.
Blood-
Bargain Hunter

PostPosted: Fri Jul 04, 2014 3:55 pm Reply with quote
Well, I can't say I was blown away by the characters or story (such as there was) but the visuals are nice. There is enough promise here that I'll watch a few more before making a definitive decision whether to continue on or drop.
HaruhiToy

PostPosted: Fri Jul 04, 2014 8:58 pm Reply with quote
Stark700 wrote:
Great animation thanks to P.A. Works.

I find it hard to believe that they are going to be able to sustain that level of animation for the whole anime. I watch 1080p streamed onto a 27 inch iMac and it looked to me like I was watching a high-budget feature film. How many Japanese and Korean slaves do they have working on this anyway?

Chickens. Don't take them into your home they poop everywhere and constantly. And they would ruin any tatami mat in a matter of minutes.

Love triangle. Love polygon. Yes. Let the games begin.
Vaisaga

PostPosted: Fri Jul 04, 2014 11:35 pm Reply with quote
WhiteHairGirls wrote:
I can understand that guy being hostile, but why did the glasses girl stand up? She seemed like a shy, bookworm character.

I found that odd too. I'm sure they'll address it in the next episode. I also wonder what exactly Yanagi and Yukinari's relationship is since they're apparently living together.

About Yukinari, I must say... Damn it Haru, go back to your own show! You're not supposed to like girls!

PA Works does great work as always, but they did surprise me with the show's more... cartoony aspects. Like that traditional sweatdrop and Touko's mom appearing in a separate bubble. The chibis in the ending also highlight that. A nice divergance from their norm.
JustinGallimore

PostPosted: Sat Jul 05, 2014 12:22 am Reply with quote
After watching Nagi no Asakura this was a no brainer.
TsunaReborn!

PostPosted: Sat Jul 05, 2014 6:31 am Reply with quote
Blood- wrote:
Well, I can't say I was blown away by the characters or story (such as there was) but the visuals are nice. There is enough promise here that I'll watch a few more before making a definitive decision whether to continue on or drop.

I had the same feeling, I'm not sure if I liked it or not but it does have some potential.

Not sure if I'm feeling this love dynamic so early on, I was hoping this would be a cute slice of life like Kimi to Boku but about glass blowing and friendship. It seems more like its going to be about how many love triangles can we throw into one show.

I know Nagi was pretty much the same and I did enjoy it but it did have this crazy concept of people living underwater and the barriers that were broken down between land and sea. I'm not sure how this series can create something that adds more substance than "I love her but she loves him and he loves glass figures".

Hopefully I'm proven very wrong as it is the series I was most looking forward to watching this season.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
leatherhead333

PostPosted: Sat Jul 05, 2014 9:19 am Reply with quote
Another P.A works romance eh? Since I really liked Nagi I have good expectations for it. Animation naturally looks great. This opening episode didn't really grab me (and I'm not to fond of the weird emo kid) but I'll see where it goes from here.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Series Discussion All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10  Next
Page 1 of 10