• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Website: Gus Van Sant to Direct Warners' Live-Action Death Note

Goto page 1, 2  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Mr_42

PostPosted: Wed Jul 09, 2014 7:48 am Reply with quote
So..... I have to wonder if this is ever going to be a thing or whether it's going to remain wrapped up in Film Studio Red Tape forever.

Rumors of the live action have been going round ever since Warner Bros. bought the rights. Zac Efron was conjectured to play light and you know its been a long time because he has grown way out of the role. I just can't see him playing the part now at his age.

I'm interested to see where this will go, just as long as it does so before a decade passes.
prime_pm

PostPosted: Wed Jul 09, 2014 8:12 am Reply with quote
Here we go again
gridsleep

PostPosted: Wed Jul 09, 2014 8:47 am Reply with quote
If this goes the way of the American versions of Ju-on, the Ring, and Dark Water, well, I don't wish them ill but I won't be watching it. Original subs for me, hee hee, original subs for me-eeeeeeeee...
Penguin_Factory

PostPosted: Wed Jul 09, 2014 10:40 am Reply with quote
This is still happening? I thought it got flushed down the toilet ages ago.

Assuming he actually stays attached to the project, Gus Van Sant is not the sort of director I'd have expected. Mostly because he's a good director and good directors don't tend to get involved with adaptations of properties that most american film-goers have never heard of.

Here's hoping the movie actually gets made and we either get an interesting alternate take on the story or a hilarious failure cascade.
Agent355

PostPosted: Wed Jul 09, 2014 11:05 am Reply with quote
Mr_42 wrote:

Rumors of the live action have been going round ever since Warner Bros. bought the rights. Zac Efron was conjectured to play light and you know its been a long time because he has grown way out of the role. I just can't see him playing the part now at his age.

I fully expect them to age up the protagonist to at least college age, if not just make him a middle aged guy stuck in a dead end job who suddenly gets this supernatural power. It would be an interesting alternate take on the story, and they won't have to deal with an understandable American squeamishness to stories about teens killing people.
Lovely

PostPosted: Wed Jul 09, 2014 11:15 am Reply with quote
Well, they aged him up to college-aged for the Japanese live-action movies, so I don't see why not.

Er. If this ever actually does gets made anyways.
Chrno2

PostPosted: Wed Jul 09, 2014 11:29 am Reply with quote
Suddenly I'm imagining a movie with lots of cut scenes leading up to some action scenes and a book, and scythe off in the background and some "white dude". Makes for a good teaser trailer. Oh and cue that boom, boom, boom noise that happens in all those creepy trailer movies.

So we're changing directors? Hmm... well I can't really comment on whether this is a good thing or bad thing other than hoping that it's a go and it will be good.
7jaws7

PostPosted: Wed Jul 09, 2014 11:31 am Reply with quote
I hope it's the events of Death Note from America's perspective. IIRC, W. made a cameo in the original Very Happy
Hawkwing

PostPosted: Wed Jul 09, 2014 12:11 pm Reply with quote
I certainly hope that the adoptation is good, but I got a bad feeling about this. Confused
Ginrai1984

PostPosted: Wed Jul 09, 2014 12:24 pm Reply with quote
'm still convinced that the majority of people just don't get the elaborate jojo's bizarre adventures refference that is raito's "alter-ego" Anime hyper!
Setsura1

PostPosted: Wed Jul 09, 2014 12:35 pm Reply with quote
Why is this still happening? Just let it die, it already got some adaptations. We don't need s*** American ones. *sigh*
walw6pK4Alo

PostPosted: Wed Jul 09, 2014 12:45 pm Reply with quote
Maybe I haven't seen enough of Van Sant's movies, but I just can't get a good reading of his style.
digritz

PostPosted: Wed Jul 09, 2014 12:49 pm Reply with quote
My guess is this got movement because Edge of Tomorrow/All You Need is Kill did well internationally. It was actually a really good movie. I was pleasantly surprised. I believe this will have both good and bad repercussions. As in things that should be and things that should not be adapted.
Tenchi

PostPosted: Wed Jul 09, 2014 12:56 pm Reply with quote
Penguin_Factory wrote:
This is still happening? I thought it got flushed down the toilet ages ago.

The drain's partially-clogged and small chunks of news about it it still bob to the surface every once in a while like with live-action Akira. I'm still not expecting anything to ever come out of it.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
danilo07

PostPosted: Wed Jul 09, 2014 1:01 pm Reply with quote
walw6pK4Alo wrote:
Maybe I haven't seen enough of Van Sant's movies, but I just can't get a good reading of his style.

He certainly isn't as bombastic as Tetsuro Araki was , which is where the charm of Death Note truly lies.I recently tried to read manga , but I really couldn't get into , it just lacked those dramatic chips eating scenes.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2