• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
The X Button - Creature Features

Goto page 1, 2  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
belvadeer

PostPosted: Wed Aug 06, 2014 1:24 pm Reply with quote
Quote:
Level-5 had some failures to their name. The visual novel Time Travellers bombed, the PlayStation 2 RPG Rogue Galaxy didn't quite sell up to expectations, and even Gundam AGE, which Level-5 president Akihiro Hino co-authored, had its broadcast cut short.

This I did not know for either. Just wondering, didn't Rogue Galaxy sell better here? And I'm currently consuming episodes of Gundam AGE, and I just checked the episode listing; it stops at 49. Dang, another Gundam cut short, though I know AGE isn't the best Gundam they could have made and a little kid piloting a mobile suit probably threw everyone off. I mean, sure, there was Sai Saici in G Gundam, but that was meant to be hilariously campy.

Tales of Xillia 2: Had the CE reserved since the localization was announced. I can't wait to play this.
meiam

PostPosted: Wed Aug 06, 2014 5:48 pm Reply with quote
Rogue galaxy really wasn't that great so it's no surprise that it would under sell expectation.

Gundam age, I had even forgotten it existed, gundam series have carried less and less weight with every subsequent iteration (with possibly an exception for unicorn, but it's to be expected since its a direct sequel), so it's no surprise there again that it would bomb.
Lavnovice9

PostPosted: Wed Aug 06, 2014 6:03 pm Reply with quote
belvadeer wrote:
This I did not know for either. Just wondering, didn't Rogue Galaxy sell better here? And I'm currently consuming episodes of Gundam AGE, and I just checked the episode listing; it stops at 49. Dang, another Gundam cut short, though I know AGE isn't the best Gundam they could have made and a little kid piloting a mobile suit probably threw everyone off. I mean, sure, there was Sai Saici in G Gundam, but that was meant to be hilariously campy.

Rogue Galaxy sold about 400K in Japan. In America it sold around 200K. Given how many more people are in America than Japan, it was far more of a failure in America than Japan.

Gundam AGE starring a kid has nothing to do with AGE's failure. Amuro was the same age as Flit and Sei in Build Fighters is even younger than them both. Kids with mechs isn't exactly a new thing for anime.
doctordoom85

PostPosted: Wed Aug 06, 2014 6:41 pm Reply with quote
That might have been the joke you were making, but Tom Cruise's character is NOT the last samurai in the movie, Ken Watanabe is. I remember a lot of ignorant people immediately freaking out when that movie was coming out saying, "they made the final samurai an American?!" and then they looked pretty dumb when the movie came out.

I had the opposite view of Resident Evil, it was the crude graphics that pulled me out the atmosphere and made me always feel like I was in a game. That's less true for horror that's more psychological (Silent Hill was scaring me even in the PS1 days, and the 16-bit Lone Survivor is frightening as well), but the more jump-scare-focused horror of RE didn't really work for me until RE4 and REmake came along. And then 5 and 6 messed it all up (but at least Revelations was good).

Already had the Tales of Xillia 2 CE pre-ordered since was put up. Hopefully it's as godly as the Tales of Symphonia Chronicles CE was (one of the best Collector's Editions I've ever got. A 4-disc soundtrack, that's cray-cray!).
Lynx Amali

PostPosted: Wed Aug 06, 2014 8:34 pm Reply with quote
Quote:
Chances of a Domestic Release: Yōkai Watch seems on the verge of a U.S. release. Level-5 applied for a trademark here, and Denstu Entertainment USA is sniffing around for someone to bring the series over here.

I dunno.

They were doing the same for Danball for a couple years and we're only just getting the show now, albeit heavily edited (Why the hell does Hunter, who's entire gimmick is physical ranged weaponry, get edited to a beam rifle?) with no news of whether we'll ever get the games.

Unless it's Professor Layton or Inazuma Eleven (for Europe), getting a domestic for some of their longer running series seem to be hit or miss for the most part.

So hype for Xillia 2 anyway.
Spotlesseden

PostPosted: Wed Aug 06, 2014 8:51 pm Reply with quote
I still haven't finish tales of Xillia. i couldn't take the voice acting, it's going to take me 2 years to finish the game. I will buy Xillia 2 once i finish Xillia. At that time, maybe can get 2 for like $20 too.
belvadeer

PostPosted: Wed Aug 06, 2014 11:27 pm Reply with quote
Lavnovice9 wrote:
Rogue Galaxy sold about 400K in Japan. In America it sold around 200K. Given how many more people are in America than Japan, it was far more of a failure in America than Japan.

Gundam AGE starring a kid has nothing to do with AGE's failure. Amuro was the same age as Flit and Sei in Build Fighters is even younger than them both. Kids with mechs isn't exactly a new thing for anime.

Isn't that a decent number though? 200k sounds like successful sales.

Personally from the twenty episodes I've seen of it so far, AGE isn't that bad, but all the comments I saw about it ran along the lines of "Why is a little kid piloting a Gundam again?" and "This is not as space opera epic as previous Gundams." Maybe it's the character designs? Flit's bio says he's fourteen, but he looks like he's twelve. Amuro was fifteen when he started out, but he looks slightly older.

Last edited by belvadeer on Thu Aug 07, 2014 2:15 pm; edited 1 time in total
Shippoyasha

PostPosted: Thu Aug 07, 2014 1:02 am Reply with quote
Corpse Party 2 looks way too terrifying for me to even contemplate playing. But I'm far too deep into the lore to back out now. I'm really dreading this.
CrownKlown

PostPosted: Thu Aug 07, 2014 5:30 am Reply with quote
200,000 copies of a jprg in the US is a phenomenal success. Tales games are considered massive success if they can crack 100k, and most jprgs outside of FF don't come close to breaking 100k. So with all due respect, that is a success given the genre.
otakunomike

PostPosted: Thu Aug 07, 2014 3:46 pm Reply with quote
Tales of Symphonia never had a sequel. I refuse to acknowledge Dawn of the New World as anything other than a poorly timed April Fools joke
meiam

PostPosted: Thu Aug 07, 2014 5:40 pm Reply with quote
CrownKlown wrote:
200,000 copies of a jprg in the US is a phenomenal success. Tales games are considered massive success if they can crack 100k, and most jprgs outside of FF don't come close to breaking 100k. So with all due respect, that is a success given the genre.

Sad but true, the video game market has grown tremendously in the last 10-15 years, yet JRPG pulling number similar to what they were doing back then is seen as a success.

Wish they would look back and fix the problem, but nah they'll just keep making more portable/mobile game and use the most cliche ridden plot and character ever.
Lavnovice9

PostPosted: Thu Aug 07, 2014 6:04 pm Reply with quote
meiam wrote:
Sad but true, the video game market has grown tremendously in the last 10-15 years, yet JRPG pulling number similar to what they were doing back then is seen as a success

Wish they would look back and fix the problem, but nah they'll just keep making more portable/mobile game and use the most cliche ridden plot and character ever.

What problem? Companies which pander to the casual audience are the ones the core audience hates. Dumbing down the games for the sake of reaching the majority audience always ends up terrible. So many franchises went to crap because they decided 100K wasn't good enough and they wanted 5 million. Then it underperforms and the franchise ceases the exist or continues to wallow in mediocrity in an attempt to stay afloat in a sea of unoriginal, oversaturated, inflated budget games.

RPGS are one of the last genres which haven't succumbed to it. So the same 100-300K people have been playing RPGs since the SNES days. That's fine by me. The millions of casual audiences who came into video games didn't come into video games for RPGs, they came in because of yearly installments of shooters and QTE action games. What you're saying is you want them to 'fix the problem' of RPGS not appealing to the new casual audience and suddenly selling millions of copies. No thank you, that mentality has ruined plenty of games already and I'd rather RPGS not follow the same path. Do you want more Castlevania Lords of Shadows, Thi4f, Silent Hill Homecoming? Tomb Raider Cover Shooter? Linear corridor shooters? Press X to advanced the story adventure "games"? Because that's what you're asking when you tell them to "fix the problem"

The video game market growing is one of the worst things to ever happen to it creatively, and only a part of it has resisted the attempt at majority audience pandering. Thankfully some of my favorite franchises like Tales is immune to it because the creators and fans have such a close-knit community.
Barbobot

PostPosted: Thu Aug 07, 2014 7:57 pm Reply with quote
I was a huge fan of Rogue Galaxy when it came out. But I was also already a big fan of both Dark Cloud 1 and 2 and RG pretty much built on the mechanics of both of those games. I don't think I ever finished it, but that's not at all unusual for myself with any JRPG. I do still have my PS2 in the basement though so this is really making me want to bust it out.
Rahxephon91

PostPosted: Thu Aug 07, 2014 8:03 pm Reply with quote
Basicly Lav's post can be summed up as "I don't like these things so they are bad".

Add in some extra notes for "not catering to me so it's bad".

The video game market growing is not a bad thing. How insane can you get? This entire idea of casuals vs hardcore is a made up thing by those afraid that "oh no other people who aren't me like playing video games".

I mean read the post with it's narrow minded generalizations. I doubt the real core audience cares about these games that supposdly pander to "casual" fans. Why? because there is no such as one specific core audience. Whatever one your trying to define is your personal made up one. If I say that actually the core audience seems to enjoy games like CoD, GTA, and even the new Tomb Raider. I fully expect you to counter with some idea that "oh those aren't actually core gamers". You don't get to decide what makes a core gamer a core gamer and in the end this is a meaningless argument because people just play what they want.

Have a lot of games attempted to ape whats popular to thier detriment? Sure, but any medium does that and that's enough to wage war on some people who simply enjoy games that you don't like.

Are there a lot of AAA games who chose to be violent gun games? Sure.

Are they all bad? No and there are plenty of other games being made out there. There's even a few big games who are more then that, but whatever they are all the same to you.

I bet you don't like being called some creepy weirdo because you play the latest loli fap sim do you? So really why do you enjoy gunning for people who happen to like games you deem unworthy?

Please name what series that only sold 100K usually and went to crap because they decided that wasn't enough?

It wasn't Tomb Raider. That was always a multi million selling series and why it sure aped modern shooter conventions(yes how dare they do that) they still turned out a good game.

It wasn't Resident Evil. Again a multi million selling series.

Sorry console games are expensive to make. Though really it's the Japanese who are the most risk averse here. It's kind of a problem.

What the poster you're replying to was saying had nothing to do with whatever you decided to fly off the handle with. No he's asking for Japanese developers to actually make JRPGs that appeal to anyone. He made no claim of how or who it should because you know what? People aren't these super narrow minded individuals you like to categorize them in. It's kind of hard to figure out what some people like.

Maybe the poster wouldn't mind developers attempting something like Ni No Kuni. Somehow that game sold rather well in America and it's nothing like the games you constantly talk down to.

His point was that it would be simply nice to see jrpgs instead of them being on mobile. Maybe jrpgs that aren't just attempting to appeal to a small niche. Maybe jrpgs that actually had wide appeal like the ones Japanese companies use to make.

But yes I guess it's better that console jrpgs are now solely the realm of cheaply made games that exist to pander to such a small audience and challenge nothing.

It's funny you hold up Tales as some example of "sticking it to appealing to more people". As if Tales is'nt actually a mainstream series in Japan made in attempt to try and appeal to as many Japanese gamers as possible.

But hey I guess it's better for games to just stay the same and don't try anything right? That's what your championing. Don't try anything new because it will be bad. Are it will 100% of the time have to be some casual QTE fest or whatever kind of games you personally don't like.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime
Barbobot

PostPosted: Thu Aug 07, 2014 8:45 pm Reply with quote
Lavnovice9 wrote:
Do you want more .......Tomb Raider Cover Shooter?

Yes please, without a doubt. That Tomb Raider game was incredibly fun and I can't wait for the next one.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2