• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
INTEREST: Retailer Is Asked By Police To Not Post Photo of Accused Shoplifter

Goto page 1, 2  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
mdo7

PostPosted: Tue Aug 12, 2014 6:25 pm Reply with quote
Yeah Just heard about this on NHK World news this morning, the response is mixed in Japan according to NHK World. I have no other thing else to add to this report.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Tuor_of_Gondolin

PostPosted: Tue Aug 12, 2014 6:28 pm Reply with quote
Bah. Release it. Shame is a legitimate tool for punishing wrong-doers.
Ushio

PostPosted: Tue Aug 12, 2014 6:34 pm Reply with quote
Tuor_of_Gondolin wrote:
Bah. Release it. Shame is a legitimate tool for punishing wrong-doers.

So we give shoplifters the death penalty now?

Because that's what having his picture and then his name on the internet involved with a crime is.

It means no bank will ever deal with you.

No one will ever give you a job.

No where will let you be a tenant.
-Madoka-

PostPosted: Tue Aug 12, 2014 7:15 pm Reply with quote
^i think that's a bit extreme.
True he would suffer but the idea was for him to return it unpunished (it's his choice to continue as a thief when given the chance to return it and not be named and shamed or even punished), he choose his path. Anyway he would probably suffer a short term prison sentence (not sure though, depending on JP law) till the thing blows over.

Many other criminals have jobs so i see no issue there. Point is though he didn't take the chance, i myself thought this was a great deal, he could get of as long as he returned it within the deadline, instead letting things settle in the shadows by the police though, if he didn't meet the time limit he would be shamed, a great method in my eyes. He has a chance to walk away but he failed to take it, shame him is my thoughts now.
you could say maybe im a bit excessive here, maybe i am but to me a crook is a crook, and he was given a chance so what more can you want.
Freakmasta

PostPosted: Tue Aug 12, 2014 7:15 pm Reply with quote
If you can't do the time, don't do the crime.
Maidenoftheredhand

PostPosted: Tue Aug 12, 2014 7:21 pm Reply with quote
What he stole is more than $2000 that goes beyond simple shop lifting. I side with Mandarake here he was even warned ahead of time.
ajr

PostPosted: Tue Aug 12, 2014 7:29 pm Reply with quote
Police probably did the right thing here. Whether the retailer should or shouldn't comply is a different matter. In my assessment, it's a matter of how likely a bad response is. If someone gets vigilante'd to death, that's no good (and probably what the police are looking to avoid). On the other hand, I've little sympathy for thieves, and this could lead to a n ID on the perp ...and probably about 5 dozen cases of mistaken identity. Tough call.

Edit: assertion to assessment, I think that's actually the right word

Last edited by ajr on Tue Aug 12, 2014 10:52 pm; edited 2 times in total
shiranehito

PostPosted: Tue Aug 12, 2014 8:37 pm Reply with quote
Ah, actually I'm a bit disappointed. The punishment might be too hard for anyone, but he's a criminal, what you expect?

Also, the call from "someone who knows the shoplifter" doesn't really convince me. It's like you're telling your embarrassing story to someone else, but you change the identity to "my friend" instead of "I" to avoid being shamed.
Utsuro no Hako

PostPosted: Tue Aug 12, 2014 8:55 pm Reply with quote
The local convenience store in my neighborhood has pics of shoplifters hanging up and it hasn't instigated a wave of vigilante justice.
crosswithyou

PostPosted: Tue Aug 12, 2014 9:26 pm Reply with quote
Utsuro no Hako wrote:
The local convenience store in my neighborhood has pics of shoplifters hanging up and it hasn't instigated a wave of vigilante justice.

But only people who actually go into the store would see it, whereas in this case if it's on the net, you can bet everyone and their mother will see it. (Okay, not really, but the scale is much larger when it comes to the internet.)

That said though, I'm still with Mandarake on this one. There's no guarantee that even if the press weren't waiting around, etc, etc that the guy would have come forward. Hopefully Mandarake can get the item back and police, who I'm sure have access to the non-edited photo, can catch the crook.
enurtsol

PostPosted: Tue Aug 12, 2014 10:09 pm Reply with quote
On the one hand, the thief could've just sent the stolen item anonymously to one of the press who could then return it to the store, so he doesn't have to show up at the store yet still be off the hook.

On the other hand, the thief may had stolen other items from other stores, and by letting the thief go, those other victims continue to be victims, plus there's no telling whether the thief just steal more in the future.
vanfanel

PostPosted: Tue Aug 12, 2014 10:44 pm Reply with quote
Welp, he had his chance, and kudos again to Mandarake for offering him one. If the police catch him now, his identity will become a matter of public record anyway (provided he's not a minor), and given the media attention the case has been getting, will probably be reported on the evening news the day he's arrested.
Kebble

PostPosted: Tue Aug 12, 2014 11:23 pm Reply with quote
Of all the things to get yourself thrown in jail for....

If the store had a picture of the suspect, then they should have just handed it over to the police as soon as the theft was reported. If the crowds of people from the media deterred the suspect from returning the item before the store's imposed deadline, I can only imagine what good the police's involvement will bring now. Rolling Eyes

People have a warped sense of justice. You can't 'not' get the police involved when there's a crime. Leave it to the professionals, and when that inevitably fails, go crying to the insurance company.
Aara123

PostPosted: Wed Aug 13, 2014 7:33 am Reply with quote
How would posting his picture online be any different than if the police found him, arrested him, and then it's on the news anyways because the information becomes public domain?
Rolando_jose

PostPosted: Wed Aug 13, 2014 9:03 am Reply with quote
Here in Panama stores put the picture of shoplifters in the entrance door, so everyone can see it.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2