• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Tokyo Game Show 2014

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Ambimunch

PostPosted: Sun Sep 21, 2014 12:26 pm Reply with quote
That was a lot of people during the public days! But overall seems like a solid show. It kind of still surprises me to think that console gaming might eventually die down in Japan (though I doubt it'll happen any time soon)
Gasero

PostPosted: Sun Sep 21, 2014 12:35 pm Reply with quote
However, the company's Onechanbara Z2: Chaos display was the most popular area for visitors. Here is a picture of it with no further comment.
No need to explain that one. I would be embarrassed just walking near it.

The show overall seemed solid. No big surprises but some decent showcases.
Hoppy800

PostPosted: Sun Sep 21, 2014 12:41 pm Reply with quote
The booths all look nice and there's quite a bit of variety going on, as for the gaming side of TGS it was a huge mixed bag depending on the company. SE had a very mixed conference, DQ Hereos was great along with Bravely Second and FF Explorers but FF VX was a total letdown (I've lost complete faith in the main FF series) and don't get me started on the smartphone trash they announced.

Bandai-Namco's was lackluster save for the Gundam Breaker 2 PV and gameplay which surpassed expectations, and the announcement that they are just starting on the next Idolm@ster title dragged their rating down a lot. Also, shame on them for not streaming the Million Live tour.

D3's was surprisingly good with the EDF love, I'm definitely getting EDF 2 V2 and 4.1 (I haven't played EDF 2 but I have played the others and I want to play 2025 in full HD which 4.1 is a remake of). Sega didn't have much this year but Phantasy Star Nova's gameplay is getting me more interested in the game. I also wished Marvelous showed some Popolocrois Harvest Moon gameplay like they did today with Senran Kagura Estival Versus, I like the series and would've appreciated some gameplay.
DavetheUsher

PostPosted: Sun Sep 21, 2014 1:03 pm Reply with quote
Man, I miss booth babes. They like disappeared from western gaming conventions.

Looking forward to MGSV, the game looks so awesome. Wish I could go to these events.
Rahxephon91

PostPosted: Sun Sep 21, 2014 1:34 pm Reply with quote
Such a strange report. It's like everything contradicts everything. "

Cell phone games were the most popular. Here are these console games that had the most attention.

Western games weren't popular. Here are these huge lines for CoD.

Consoles in Japan are going down. The console games received a lot of attention.

Either way for me this TGS was pretty much the best in a long time and has renewed some faith in consoles. While, yes no real new ips were shown and whatnot. Quality looking games were on display.

Sqaure Enix really brought it. 15 looks amazing. it looks like of the most fresh FF games a long while. It's a graphical marvel as well. SE really made it seem like the game was back on track. From the unique trailer to the awesome stage demo, FF seems back.

They also showed plenty of quality non cellphone games that looked worthwhile. Type 0 HD looks like a great effort. Bravely Default 2 really looks to cement it as a new series. Dragon Quest Heroe's looks like more then a DW game. FF Explorers looks like something worthwhile. Even the Vita got some live. Quite honestly, Square brought it.

So many other strong consoles games were shown. Bloodborne looks so strong art and graphics wise. While MGS5 looks too much like PW to me, it still looks like it may be a good game at least. Yakuza 0 of course looks strong. Liscend anime games like Dragon Ball Xenoverse and Gundam Breaker 2 sure look promising. Even D4's console games look pleasing for those willing to try them out. A giant giant robot in EDF! Even Onechanbarra seems to actually play decently this time.

There just seems to be some actual good stuff, but yeah Sqaure with 15 really brought it. 15 looks so amazing.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime
Student no.0

PostPosted: Sun Sep 21, 2014 3:02 pm Reply with quote
At this rate I feel I might as well give up on SEGA localizing PSO2 and look more forward to Phantasy Star Nova instead.
acetatsujin

PostPosted: Sun Sep 21, 2014 7:13 pm Reply with quote
KYAAAA MIKU-DESU AND MUV-LUV ALTERNATIVE!!!!!! >__<
CoreSignal

PostPosted: Sun Sep 21, 2014 11:54 pm Reply with quote
I thought this was one of best TGSs we've seen in a long time, especially compared to last years. We got big AAA titles like MGS:Phantom Pain and Bloodborne, FF Type-0 and Persona 5 coming to the PS4, and not only a new FFXV trailer but some actual gameplay footage.

This is looking more and more like a renaissance of Japanese gaming. The fact they're porting some handheld titles like God Eater to home consoles tells me there's still hope for the home console market over there. Its also a good sign when even smaller devs like NIS and Compile Heart already have several PS4 games in the works.

Hoppy800 wrote:
SE had a very mixed conference, DQ Hereos was great along with Bravely Second and FF Explorers but FF VX was a total letdown (I've lost complete faith in the main FF series) and don't get me started on the smartphone trash they announced.

I guess I'm one of few old-school FF fans who's okay with FFVX being more action oriented. It'd be great to get another variation of a menu-based battle system, but to have a mainline FF title as full-blown action rpg could be interesting. If nothing else, final fantasy is known for having each installment play differently. FF XV is far from finished, and Tabata has said he'll listen for player feedback on the upcoming demo, so its possible things will change.
enurtsol

PostPosted: Mon Sep 22, 2014 3:51 am Reply with quote
Ambimunch wrote:

It kind of still surprises me to think that console gaming might eventually die down in Japan (though I doubt it'll happen any time soon)

Well, while Japan is leading the mobile gaming markets, its console market that made up about 50% of the global market in 2002 has since shrunk to around 10% by 2010, and can only shrink smaller from here on out (as well as everyone else's) due to one big reason - China is about to open up to console gaming once again.
jr240483

PostPosted: Mon Sep 22, 2014 4:16 am Reply with quote
DavetheUsher wrote:
Man, I miss booth babes. They like disappeared from western gaming conventions.

Looking forward to MGSV, the game looks so awesome. Wish I could go to these events.

of course MGS was more talked about. however for some reason or another, kojima have been dodging the public when it comes to more info on ZOE3 considering that it was over a year ago he confirmed that there was a possibility of that game coming soon. and so far nothing. i would have to suspect that he scraped any ideas of ZOE3.

Also i would never suspect that a company would try to resurrect the zoids franchise considering that its been more than a decade since genesis.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
Etrien

PostPosted: Mon Sep 22, 2014 6:46 am Reply with quote
Tiny nitpick, but:

Quote:
By far the most popular game at the booth was A Realm Reborn (a popular MMO with a major upcoming content patch that includes 2 new playable classes)

The patch is adding 1 new playable class and 1 new job, which are distinctly different terms in the game. 2 new playable classes would be significantly better. Wink
Rahxephon91

PostPosted: Mon Sep 22, 2014 8:05 am Reply with quote
[quote="jr0904"]
DavetheUsher wrote:

of course MGS was more talked about. however for some reason or another, kojima have been dodging the public when it comes to more info on ZOE3 considering that it was over a year ago he confirmed that there was a possibility of that game coming soon. and so far nothing. i would have to suspect that he scraped any ideas of ZOE3.

They already said they scrapped that game.

http://kotaku.com/that-new-zone-of-enders-was-canned-for-now-488413844
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime
Zac
ANN Executive Editor

PostPosted: Mon Sep 22, 2014 10:59 am Reply with quote
Etrien wrote:
Tiny nitpick, but:

Quote:
By far the most popular game at the booth was A Realm Reborn (a popular MMO with a major upcoming content patch that includes 2 new playable classes)

The patch is adding 1 new playable class and 1 new job, which are distinctly different terms in the game. 2 new playable classes would be significantly better. Wink

Ah, OK. I had to hunt down the reason why FF14 would've had such a long line and must've misread the article on it (although doing that research got me to try the game out so mission accomplished I guess, SE).
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1