• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
REVIEW: Attack on Titan: Before the Fall Novel 1

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Engineering Nerd

PostPosted: Thu Sep 25, 2014 12:06 pm Reply with quote
Wow, nice to see it got such great feedback! I will definitely check this out.

By the way, I am curious to see what Ms Silverman meant by questionable word choices. I did translate quite a few Light novels from Japanese to Chinese, and I certainly can imagine such translation from Japanese to English can be quite a challenge to deliver the intended meaning of the dictions used.
Ryusui

PostPosted: Thu Sep 25, 2014 12:16 pm Reply with quote
Would one of those word choices be "Survey Corps" instead of "Scout Regiment"?

I'm fine with how the dub has been using them interchangeably as of late, but I much prefer "Scout Regiment." (Wish they could've stuck with "The Day of Reckoning" for FMA:B's "Promised Day," though.)
whiskeyii

PostPosted: Thu Sep 25, 2014 12:46 pm Reply with quote
Huh. I was only aware of the manga adaption, which starts with a different story (volumes 2 and 3, I think?), but I'm interested in checking out the light novel version now. Gotta' love me some world building! Anime hyper
princess passa passa

PostPosted: Fri Sep 26, 2014 1:47 am Reply with quote
I wonder where does the the story of the Titan's Child fall in this...
whiskeyii

PostPosted: Fri Sep 26, 2014 2:53 am Reply with quote
According to the wiki, the Titan's Child story are volumes 2 and 3 of the Before the Fall series.
princess passa passa

PostPosted: Fri Sep 26, 2014 3:51 am Reply with quote
Ahh ok so it is part of the whole Before the Fall series, I got a bit mixed up there.

Thanks.
Princess_Irene
ANN Reviewer

PostPosted: Fri Sep 26, 2014 6:32 am Reply with quote
Engineering Nerd wrote:

By the way, I am curious to see what Ms Silverman meant by questionable word choices. I did translate quite a few Light novels from Japanese to Chinese, and I certainly can imagine such translation from Japanese to English can be quite a challenge to deliver the intended meaning of the dictions used.

That's precisely it - some words don't feel like they quite get the meaning across, or like a more old-fashioned word with slightly different implications would work better but the translator was hesitant to use archaic language. Unfortunately I've lent to book to a student, so I can't give you a specific example, but it's clear that this was not an easy translate. I've translated French and Italian to English, and it really is as much an art as a science.
marie-antoinette

PostPosted: Fri Sep 26, 2014 10:09 am Reply with quote
It's nice to know that the spin-offs by different writers are still good for this series. And it's pretty cool to see the lore get expanded. I'll definitely be looking into this series, though I probably want to actually read some of the AoT manga first. So many things to read and so little time!
patrick.enfield.9

PostPosted: Mon Sep 29, 2014 3:36 am Reply with quote
definately one of the better spinoff series I've read
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1