• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
REVIEW: World Trigger GN 1

Goto page 1, 2  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
leafy sea dragon

PostPosted: Mon Sep 29, 2014 12:57 pm Reply with quote
Is that what they call Yuma's floating partner in the graphic novels? Chaperon? I thought his name was Replica.
TsunaReborn!

PostPosted: Mon Sep 29, 2014 4:21 pm Reply with quote
Well this is certainly being added to the amazon basket Very Happy
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Ali07

PostPosted: Mon Sep 29, 2014 6:51 pm Reply with quote
Without having read this, Yuma sounds a bit annoying. The review just gives off the impression that he is the one that is pointing out the faults in everyone/thing around him. Laughing
meiam

PostPosted: Mon Sep 29, 2014 7:33 pm Reply with quote
Never even heard of this, but I can tell you right now that yes border do hide some dark secret of there own (unless the series get cancelled earlier than the author expected). Laughing

Seems like it's a show that'll live or die based of it's execution, because it's entirely on familiar ground. I suppose it's possible it'll try to do something different eventually, but I'm guessing that won't happen till at least vol. 3/4.

As it is, sounds interesting, I like the “Perhaps it means they have fewer of them” because it seems to go beyond the whole pandering "everyone is evil but you dear reader" and actually acknowledge that things have been getting progressively better over time.

I'll keep my eye out for it.
leafy sea dragon

PostPosted: Mon Sep 29, 2014 7:50 pm Reply with quote
Something that makes World Trigger stand out, to me, is that the main character is physically weak. In most shonen shows, the protagonist, even if incompetent at fighting otherwise, has some cool trick that makes short work of even renowned baddies right from the start. Osamu, on the other hand, has to put in everything he has that his comrades can do subconsciously. The review mentions he is a trainee--and he does his job like a trainee. As he's always at a disadvantage in a fight, and he's surrounded by people way stronger than he is, I find him easy to root for as an underdog.

I felt this was an important part of this series right from the start.

spoiler[And Osamu REMAINS weak up to where the manga is at right now. While he's no longer a trainee, he isn't much stronger than he was when the series began. Rather, he survives by knowing how to pick his fights and, when he can't avoid fighting, outsmarting the opponent or bluffing.]

Ali07 wrote:
Without having read this, Yuma sounds a bit annoying. The review just gives off the impression that he is the one that is pointing out the faults in everyone/thing around him. Laughing

I can say that Yuma's not that annoying (though my judgment may be clouded in the character growth Yuma has gone through), since most of those remarks are throwaway comments to indicate that Yuma comes from a vastly different culture. He has a similar sense of justice as Osamu, as he hates seeing bad things happen to good people. he's just way more blunt and hands-on about it.

The bit about the bullies is probably the author's own opinions, as bullying, from what I'm seeing, has become an increasingly big social issue in Japan, especially the light punishments they receive.
Ali07

PostPosted: Mon Sep 29, 2014 8:27 pm Reply with quote
leafy sea dragon wrote:
Ali07 wrote:

I can say that Yuma's not that annoying (though my judgment may be clouded in the character growth Yuma has gone through), since most of those remarks are throwaway comments to indicate that Yuma comes from a vastly different culture.

Yuma just sounds preachy. With your mention of the culture clash, makes it sound like he's all my culture>your culture, I'm right and you're wrong.

I'm not sure if I will come around to checking this out myself, so my initial impressions are based on what you and the review have said, so it's great right now. Laughing

I don't read much shounen manga...I'm pretty sure the only one I own is Fairy Tail. Will probably check out the anime before I totally right off getting the manga for World Trigger.

leafy sea dragon wrote:
Something that makes World Trigger stand out, to me, is that the main character is physically weak.

Ah, okay. So he's the type that is kind of like the spoiler[smartest guy in the room]. Again, I may be way off base with the impression I've formed, but that and preachy doesn't sound great to me. Laughing

I know that I sound negative. Would say that'd be down to having seen similar characters in other media and not really taking a liking to many of them. Over time, I've also come to view protagonists that are physically weak in action orientated series as only a slight twist on the typical strong guy runs into stronger guys that a lot of shounen series use.

Though, I do favour seeing different ways of defeating a character over the use of power-ups.

Still, my impression of the character may change when the anime comes around. And, like some anime, if I enjoy it enough I end up getting the manga to follow the story beyond what is animated.
Mr Adventure

PostPosted: Tue Sep 30, 2014 12:28 am Reply with quote
World Trigger starts off kind of by-the-numbers with the high school setting. But quickly moves away from that.

And Osamu isn't really the spoiler[smartest guy in the room] either. He definitely has his moments. But most of the time things turn around on him quickly.[/spoiler]

World Trigger is definitely pretty solid all around. Its not amazing or anything, but its better then most.
MDoorpsy

PostPosted: Tue Sep 30, 2014 12:34 am Reply with quote
Quote:
Ah, okay. So he's the type that is kind of like the spoiler[smartest guy in the room]. Again, I may be way off base with the impression I've formed, but that and preachy doesn't sound great to me. Laughing

The exact opposite, actually. If anything Osamu (the guy with glasses, not the white haired boy) is known more for being humble... because he (rightfully) knows that he is weak. A lot of the comedy comes from people assuming that Osamu is strong, either because he got lucky or because he has a strong teammate, and him trying to correct them before they end up putting more faith in him than is safe.

Quote:
Though, I do favour seeing different ways of defeating a character over the use of power-ups.

Then you should be right at home. The series has a very tactical approach to combat. Stuff like ki levels show up, but they're never the deciding factor in a fight. If you were a fan of early Naruto (before every strategy basically boiled down to: make shadow clone>rush with rasengan>?> PROFIT!) then you should like this one. Now I really think about it... it the world does really feel like a scifi Naruto. both have teams of 4, trion=chakra, triggers=jutsu, black trigger=tailed beast... let's just hope we don't get a Sasuke to go with the package Wink
CallumKeyblade

PostPosted: Tue Sep 30, 2014 1:00 am Reply with quote
I'm glad Viz are releasing the first two volumes at once; hopefully they'll both do well with the anime just about to begin. I'd like to see Viz do the 2-volumes-to-start thing more often.
MDoorpsy

PostPosted: Tue Sep 30, 2014 2:06 am Reply with quote
Quote:
I'm glad Viz are releasing the first two volumes at once; hopefully they'll both do well with the anime just about to begin. I'd like to see Viz do the 2-volumes-to-start thing more often.

Yeah, I do wonder why it took them so long to get these out. I can understand the print taking a while, but no digital version? And by that I mean just the volumes (I know about Shonen Jump Alpha- which I will continue to refer by that name because seriously it is so confusing having the two versions be called the same thing).

Off topic, but I hope that if the sales for Assassination Classroom are good enough they'll seriously consider serializing it in the magazine.
marvel knight

PostPosted: Tue Sep 30, 2014 2:55 am Reply with quote
MDoorpsy wrote:
Quote:

Yeah, I do wonder why it took them so long to get these out. I can understand the print taking a while, but no digital version? And by that I mean just the volumes (I know about Shonen Jump Alpha- which I will continue to refer by that name because seriously it is so confusing having the two versions be called the same thing).

Off topic, but I hope that if the sales for Assassination Classroom are good enough they'll seriously consider serializing it in the magazine.

If i'm not mistaken , i'm pretty sure that they're releasing the first volume digitally next week.

I don't know if they will ever do that. The magazine takes its series from numerous japanese jump magazines , so there's not really that much room. That's why they're only going to fully publish only one Jump Start series.
Ali07

PostPosted: Tue Sep 30, 2014 5:32 am Reply with quote
MDoorpsy wrote:
Quote:

Then you should be right at home. The series has a very tactical approach to combat. Stuff like ki levels show up, but they're never the deciding factor in a fight. If you were a fan of early Naruto (before every strategy basically boiled down to: make shadow clone>rush with rasengan>?> PROFIT!) then you should like this one.

I was a fan of early Naruto! Stopped getting that manga a long time ago.

I'm happy in knowing that I've been off with my interpretations. Though, I'll wait until the anime to decide if I'll get the manga. I mean, they are meant to be like extremely long ads! Laughing
MDoorpsy

PostPosted: Tue Sep 30, 2014 12:03 pm Reply with quote
Quote:
If i'm not mistaken , i'm pretty sure that they're releasing the first volume digitally next week.

Yes, I had assumed that. What I meant was that they usually release the digital ones before the print versions. Nisekoi, Shokugeki no Soma, Barrage, One Punch Man, they've had a pattern going is all I'm saying.

Quote:
I don't know if they will ever do that. The magazine takes its series from numerous japanese jump magazines , so there's not really that much room. That's why they're only going to fully publish only one Jump Start series.

They have said what their reasons are regarding Assassination Classroom. Mainly that they are afraid of causing controversy. Nonetheless they still decided to print the volumes, likely because they noticed that in Japan the series reached #9 on the official list of best selling manga volumes- for a point of reference, Bleach was #15 in the first half of 2014.
Its not really an issue of space in the magazine, its more about manpower. If they get more series they need more translators-preferably good ones. That, and if they just keep upping the series limit for the mag then they would eventually have to raise the subscription price, something they have discussed in their podcast and asked readers about through the survey. It all depends on whether they think AC will bring in enough new subscribers to warrant the innevitable sh*tstorm of serializing a manga that you really can't summarize to someone without saying "a class of middle schoolers are trying to kill their teacher."
marvel knight

PostPosted: Tue Sep 30, 2014 12:20 pm Reply with quote
MDoorpsy wrote:
Quote:

Yes, I had assumed that. What I meant was that they usually release the digital ones before the print versions. Nisekoi, Shokugeki no Soma, Barrage, One Punch Man, they've had a pattern going is all I'm saying.

Quote:

They have said what their reasons are regarding Assassination Classroom. Mainly that they are afraid of causing controversy. Nonetheless they still decided to print the volumes, likely because they noticed that in Japan the series reached #9 on the official list of best selling manga volumes- for a point of reference, Bleach was #15 in the first half of 2014.
Its not really an issue of space in the magazine, its more about manpower. If they get more series they need more translators-preferably good ones. That, and if they just keep upping the series limit for the mag then they would eventually have to raise the subscription price, something they have discussed in their podcast and asked readers about through the survey. It all depends on whether they think AC will bring in enough new subscribers to warrant the innevitable sh*tstorm of serializing a manga that you really can't summarize to someone without saying "a class of middle schoolers are trying to kill their teacher."

But that's exactly what's happening. The print volumes are only coming out in December. And One Punch Man doesn't even have print volumes , it's digital only.

How volumes sell in Japan have no basis here, otherwise we would have gotten stuff like Kuroko and Haikyuu already. Along with the content , another problem is that the manga is already 100 chapters in , so it doesn't make sense to suddenly put it in Jump where nothing will make sense. It's the same story with Soma, that's way in too. It's a way reason why they're starting JUMP Start, to prevent this kind of thing from occurring again in the future.
MDoorpsy

PostPosted: Tue Sep 30, 2014 4:45 pm Reply with quote
Quote:
But that's exactly what's happening. The print volumes are only coming out in December. And One Punch Man doesn't even have print volumes , it's digital only.

One Punch Man isn't in print YET. We'll see. The situation with AC is different from Kuroko and Haikyuu. Along with Shokugeki, AC was heavily requested. Case in point, they never dedicated time on their podcasts to explain why they hadn't Kuroko or Haikyuu, but they did for the other two. Sports manga don't tend to be nearly as popular over here as in Japan, and they know it. I was honestly surprised they even bothered with Cross Manage, but maybe they were looking at Nisekoi's success over here and figured it would be good to try another series with romantic elements. I'm not trying to say that it is at all likely that they will license it in the magazine, just that the volumes could be a good way to see if their is a large enough audience for it. Given the way the team started talking about Shokugeki after the volumes came out it wouldn't surprise me for them to put that in the magazine as well.

Quote:
Along with the content , another problem is that the manga is already 100 chapters in , so it doesn't make sense to suddenly put it in Jump where nothing will make sense. It's the same story with Soma, that's way in too. It's a way reason why they're starting JUMP Start, to prevent this kind of thing from occurring again in the future.

A fair point. But I will point out that Nisekoi had, what, how many chapters out when it came over the pond? I wanna say 70, but that is a guess. I do agree that it was a bit of a miss step to not release the volumes up to that point first, but they could have learned from that and maybe that is what will happen with Soma (release volumes, then start series so that readers can catch up quickly- through legal means- and start reading the current chapters), and maybe AC if it actually runs long enough for the volumes to get close to catching up(I don't mean that it would get cancelled, just that the author would end it of his own will).

Quote:
How volumes sell in Japan have no basis here, otherwise we would have gotten stuff like Kuroko and Haikyuu already.

Sales in Japan don't effect sales here, but from a publishing perspective when you are looking at what series to translate it can be helpful to look at the best selling series, since if they are doing so well they must be doing something right (I know, popularity doesn't necessarily equal quality, but it can be a good indicator). Of the other series in the top 10, (Attack on Titan, Magi, Hozuki, Silver Spoon, Ace of Diamond, and Kuroko) only one is published by Shueisha, and Kuroko just ended. Going beyond the top 10, there still is a chance for Haikyuu. Viz is probably a little apprehensive to do another sports series after Cross Manage didn't pan out (I cite the same reason for why we didn't get Hero Academy, the new manga from the author of Barrage), but perhaps Sorting Salt will give them reason to try a new sports series if that one is popular.

Whoo, boy. This turned out longer than I expected. I apologize to anyone that actually decided to read through all that
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2