• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Hanabee Announces Unlimited Blade Works and Chaika - The Coffin Princess Avenging Battle

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Jaeger-bomb-bastic

PostPosted: Wed Oct 08, 2014 11:46 am Reply with quote
So they stream each series' at least a week after the airing and wonder why the service isn't successful?
Ali07

PostPosted: Wed Oct 08, 2014 8:45 pm Reply with quote
Oh, nice. Had heard about UBW, as I got an email, but not about Chaika.

But, how am I meant to wait a whole week? It's so hard...and takes a high level of self control to wait for a legal means to check out a show that isn't available (legally) any other way. Rolling Eyes
sonictail
ANN.au Editor in Chief

PostPosted: Wed Oct 08, 2014 9:45 pm Reply with quote
Jaeger-bomb-bastic wrote:
So they stream each series' at least a week after the airing and wonder why the service isn't successful?

Ali07 wrote:
But, how am I meant to wait a whole week? It's so hard...and takes a high level of self control to wait for a legal means to check out a show that isn't available (legally) any other way. Rolling Eyes

Hopefully they'll post the second episode in short order and get into line with the rest of the world.

Otherwise all I can say is that it's the cost of free. Good, Fast, Cheap, pick two and to be quite honest the Hanabee stream has been quite good. And on several occasions they've been faster than other services. Give em some time Smile
Ali07

PostPosted: Thu Oct 09, 2014 1:28 am Reply with quote
Sorry, I wasn't complaining...just being sarcastic.

Personally, if they did stream things closer to the airing date, it'd be a fantastic free service. As it stands, being a week behind is still great for a free service.

Look at Crunchyroll. They stream anime ASAP, but most (if not all) are for premium members while the rest wait about a week. I see no problem being a week or so behind when you're watching it, legally, for free.

I've never liked the, seemingly, entitled attitude some have when it comes to stuff like this. There's a bit of a wait to watch it legally. For me, that's fine...because I remember the time when the wait was usually a year+ for shows on free to air...and my life functioned perfectly.
Jaeger-bomb-bastic

PostPosted: Thu Oct 09, 2014 8:07 am Reply with quote
I wouldn't have a problem with it being a week behind if it was always going to be free but they have said things like it's currently free, possibly charged depending on how the response is. I'm all for paid streaming services in Australia but I think the way they're going about testing the waters is all wrong.
Ali07

PostPosted: Thu Oct 09, 2014 7:28 pm Reply with quote
So, how would they test it? I'd assuming that streaming sooner would be more expensive. It's free right now, waiting a week shouldn't be too hard for anyone.

And, while I understand that it is free 'for now', one would hope that if they're charging for it they'll be streaming it faster. They're certainly not going to speed things up while it's free.

I'd say they'd be testing the waters wrongly if the stream was coming in about a month after the original airing of the show. Not a week. There's only so much a company would be willing to spend with little return to it.

If people can't wait a week, for something that is legal and free, then that just makes me sad.
Jaeger-bomb-bastic

PostPosted: Fri Oct 10, 2014 3:27 am Reply with quote
Why would it make you sad? My point is that it's useless waiting a week because everyone would have already found better ways to watch it. The problem itself isn't so much in the waiting a week, it's in gauging the response and reacting from this. Of course people aren't going to wait. Additionally, why can Madman offer free streaming a couple of hours after something airs while Hanabee have to wait a week?
Ali07

PostPosted: Sun Oct 12, 2014 6:46 am Reply with quote
Why would it make you sad?

Because people can't wait a week and they must find illegal ways to watch a show that'll be legally available to them within 7 days...

Additionally, why can Madman offer free streaming a couple of hours after something airs while Hanabee have to wait a week?

$$$
sonictail
ANN.au Editor in Chief

PostPosted: Wed Oct 15, 2014 10:54 am Reply with quote
Ali07 wrote:
Why would it make you sad?

Because people can't wait a week and they must find illegal ways to watch a show that'll be legally available to them within 7 days...

Additionally, why can Madman offer free streaming a couple of hours after something airs while Hanabee have to wait a week?

$$$

Well it depends on the title, each title has it's own negotiations. I'm guessing CR paid for a exclusive locking everyone else out for a week.

In terms of timing, I've been delayed on Aldnoah.Zero as my habits have changed. Basically a couple of series each season I watch with a friend online when he's back from work and him being FIFO means I get two episodes every second week.

But it doesn't really matter as long as the people I'm discussing the title with are on a similar schedule, or patient.

That being said I surf Tumblr far less these days which probably helps too >.>
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1