• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
INTEREST: More Characters Join MAG's Fight Against Piracy

Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
kanechin

PostPosted: Wed Oct 22, 2014 3:20 pm Reply with quote
once again, f*** you. I will not stop.
Even if a cross over pic would convince me (it won't, piracy ftw!), adding characters from series I give few s**** about wouldn't make me support your efforts. Now excuse me, I'm going to right click that pic now as a middle finger.
prime_pm

PostPosted: Wed Oct 22, 2014 3:29 pm Reply with quote
kanechin wrote:
Even if a cross over pic would convince me (it won't, piracy ftw!), adding characters from series I give few s**** about wouldn't make me support your efforts. Now excuse me, I'm going to right click that pic now as a middle finger.

"The efforts predominately focus on piracy in China where the Cultural Affairs Agency estimates a loss of 560 billion (about US$5.5 billion) yen to Chinese piracy in major cities in 2012. The Ministry of Economy estimated damages of two trillion yen (US$19.6 billion) from America in 2013."

Trust me, you're not that special.
Admiral Pizzaman

PostPosted: Wed Oct 22, 2014 3:29 pm Reply with quote
Lol at Zoro and Sasuke. They sure are pretty impressive at those swords. Armin, I didn't know you were interesting in this stuffs. Thought I won't blame you.

Now I want Gintoki Sakata from Gintama to appeared as well.
BinBouGami1234

PostPosted: Wed Oct 22, 2014 3:36 pm Reply with quote
If you check the website now, you can see that Mikasa has been added.
Blanchimont

PostPosted: Wed Oct 22, 2014 3:40 pm Reply with quote
article wrote:
...the Cultural Affairs Agency estimates a loss of 560 billion (about US$5.5 billion) yen to Chinese piracy in major cities in 2012. The Ministry of Economy estimated damages of two trillion yen (US$19.6 billion) from America in 2013.

Somehow I very much doubt those numbers, rather it brings to mind RIAA's attempts to equate every download with a lost sale...

Anyone who can provide more recent figures of annual gross profits for Japan's anime industry, as well as USA's, as I have trouble finding those? Would be nice to compare those numbers with the ones above.
Touma

PostPosted: Wed Oct 22, 2014 4:00 pm Reply with quote
The purpose of this project is just to allow people to find legal ways to access anime and manga, if they want to find legal ways.
It is just a search engine.
It is not a threat to anybody.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Admiral Pizzaman

PostPosted: Wed Oct 22, 2014 4:08 pm Reply with quote
Touma wrote:
The purpose of this project is just to allow people to find legal ways to access anime and manga, if they want to find legal ways.

Unfortunately,some people has misinterpreted as Manga & Anime Anti-Piracy Enforcer (MAAPE)
Zelgadis_Knight

PostPosted: Wed Oct 22, 2014 4:12 pm Reply with quote
I think, I see Ichigo and Natsu crying in the corner. Very Happy
mdo7

PostPosted: Wed Oct 22, 2014 4:20 pm Reply with quote
Yeah, this is not going to work and I think I recall a user putting this picture (well it's not there anymore), but I went to google trend, and have a look:

As you can see the blue line represent anime torrenting, if piracy was that bad like they claim then why is anime torrenting down for the last few years?? Does that make any sense??
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
KidOblivion

PostPosted: Wed Oct 22, 2014 4:24 pm Reply with quote
I always buy and stream my anime legally, same with my manga. But the search engine is nice for people who actually want to support the creators.
gloverrandal

PostPosted: Wed Oct 22, 2014 4:26 pm Reply with quote
Touma wrote:

I can understand that, though I feel they made a bit of an indirect slight at a certain group of fans. It's one thing to encourage people to watch Naruto, One Piece, and other mainstream shounen which not only have legal streaming options, but also air on American TV, but to put the cast of Detective Conan on there seems like a little slap in the face considering up until this week, the only way to have been a fan and watch Detective Conan for the past 700 episodes, 20+ OVAs, and 17 movies have been through fansubs/piracy. To come along and act like it's always had a legal streaming option and use him as an anti-piracy poster child is a bit questionable
mdo7

PostPosted: Wed Oct 22, 2014 4:32 pm Reply with quote
Blanchimont wrote:
article wrote:
...the Cultural Affairs Agency estimates a loss of 560 billion (about US$5.5 billion) yen to Chinese piracy in major cities in 2012. The Ministry of Economy estimated damages of two trillion yen (US$19.6 billion) from America in 2013.

Somehow I very much doubt those numbers, rather it brings to mind RIAA's attempts to equate every download with a lost sale...

Anyone who can provide more recent figures of annual gross profits for Japan's anime industry, as well as USA's, as I have trouble finding those? Would be nice to compare those numbers with the ones above.

You're not alone, another user posted a similar stance just like yours:

Violynne wrote:

Quote:
The Ministry of Economy estimated damages of two trillion yen (US$19.6 billion) from America in 2013.

Can anyone at ANN get in contact with the Ministry of Economy and ask how they determined this number because it's absurd.

In 2012, Hollywood broke an earnings record of $10.7 billion, and the MoE expects us to believe anime lost more than Hollywood?

Don't forget about the $5.5 billion supposedly lost in China.

This kind of crap is one reason the piracy debate will never end. One side lies about losing billions, and the other side justifies the piracy because those billions aren't going to the artists.

Just once, I'd like to see actual proof loses are attributed to piracy instead of bloated, unrealistic, and insulting numbers coming from the industry stating billions aren't enough to keep the content coming.

The industry has a problem of rolling out 40 series in a season, with most at 13 episodes, for an estimated cost of $150k per episode (I'll even boost this to $200k), the number sits at around $105 million? Even with padded costs, we could throw up $300 million for an entire year

This doesn't take into any consideration of the royalties or licensing received for merchandise.

Even at $1 billion per year, this would cover just about every anime made for that year, and then some.

It looks to me those serving in the Ministry of Economy have been taking their math lessons from the MPAA.

All they did with this announcement was throw more gasoline on the raging fire.

The MoE should be ashamed.
acetatsujin

PostPosted: Wed Oct 22, 2014 5:07 pm Reply with quote
Blanchimont wrote:
article wrote:

Bullshit numbers and figure sales they came up with. They're human. Stupidity at its best can't get any better than posting retarded news like this. But it's good to see this shit going around to 'stop the piracy' - sarcasm intended.

kanechin wrote:

As much as I also agree with you, I also think that taking a step back and letting them spread the stupidity around is pretty pointless. Taking down Nyaa is going to cost millions plus lawyer fees because penniless owners are just hosting Japanese media. And after that, a whole new site like Nyaa (or the same as Nyaa) will take over. Don't forget that there are other big torrent sites as well.

-rubs his NAS- This first baby NAS holding a staggering 32TB worth of storage, well they're not all filled, but all that anime in the best quality I can get is nothing but pleasing.

My next NAS ... well, I'll wait maybe two years to see if the 8TB could at least drop to 250 USD and we can look into 12-16 bay storage holder.
Kikaioh

PostPosted: Wed Oct 22, 2014 6:49 pm Reply with quote
This is great news, I'm glad to hear their campaign was successful.

mdo7 wrote:
As you can see the blue line represent anime torrenting, if piracy was that bad like they claim then why is anime torrenting down for the last few years?? Does that make any sense??

Probably because torrenting is an old technology compared to illegal streaming.
Zalis116

PostPosted: Wed Oct 22, 2014 6:54 pm Reply with quote
mdo7 wrote:
Sure it makes sense. Do you really think all those "anime watch" searches are leading to legal views? Newer/younger fans are either lazier or less tech-savvy, and view downloading as a hassle on approximately the same level that the pirates of yore viewed actually buying anime. So they gravitate to illegal streaming sites if they're not willing to subscribe or put up with a few ads and CR and other legal sites. Piracy hasn't fallen off a cliff, it's just jumped to the other side of the valley, and is more insidious now since illegal streaming sites allow 3rd parties to profit... much like bootleg DVD sellers.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next
Page 1 of 3