• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
House of 1000 Manga - Gen Manga

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
azabaro
Subscriber

PostPosted: Thu Nov 20, 2014 1:48 pm Reply with quote
I believe Gen has (or had?) a digital manga anthology on both iBooks and Kindle, allowing you to sample a bunch of their titles. I bought that sporadically, but I think the first full book of theirs I picked up was VS Aliens, which is rough and amateurish in pretty much the same ways One is Enough seems to be...but even so I'm pretty fond of it. I've also liked what I've read of Kamen.
Utsuro no Hako

PostPosted: Thu Nov 20, 2014 2:39 pm Reply with quote
I thought VS Aliens had the makings of a good on-going series, but then the author ended it abruptly with a total cop-out.

The best Gen manga I've read is Sorako, which is a series of Ghost World type short stories loosely centered around the title character.
katscradle

PostPosted: Thu Nov 20, 2014 4:00 pm Reply with quote
Quote:
Gen's editorial quality is shaky; the books contain typos and missing dialogue, and the translations are often stiff.

This, even though they are tiny, and niche, and their stuff is way cheap digitally the editorial quality is what has kept me from caring much about GEN, not the content. I guess I've just lost about all the tolerance and understanding for that sort of thing that I used to have.

Wolf was good, maybe one of the best stories they have. I also liked Souls, another one of their first titles, that was only a few issues.
jtron

PostPosted: Thu Nov 20, 2014 4:58 pm Reply with quote
Thanks for letting us know about this. Love the design on their covers and will definitely be checking some out.
residentgrigo

PostPosted: Thu Nov 20, 2014 6:14 pm Reply with quote
I hope that Jason is dealing well with his Naruto-flashbacks and his Shueisha induced 1000 yard stare.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Tanteikingdomkey

PostPosted: Fri Nov 21, 2014 1:56 am Reply with quote
I bought and really enjoyed wolf. I will say you hit the nail right on the head about it
Ali07

PostPosted: Fri Nov 21, 2014 8:32 am Reply with quote
The only manga I own from these guys is VS Alien. While I don't think it is the best thing out there, I do love this single volume story. Think that, if it was to be made up of multiple volumes, it could've been better.

But, for what it is, it's good.

I have preordered Stones of Power (I think that is the title), so looking forward to checking out a 2nd Gen title.
Snomaster1
Subscriber

PostPosted: Fri Nov 21, 2014 5:48 pm Reply with quote
I'm not familiar with Gen Manga. In fact,I've never heard of it until now.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1