• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Mangapolo Reveals Finalists for 3rd Manga Translation Battle

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
ajtpak

PostPosted: Fri Jan 02, 2015 10:08 pm Reply with quote
I really hope nichijou gets picked
Gonstead

PostPosted: Fri Jan 02, 2015 11:03 pm Reply with quote
ajtpak wrote:

Ditto.
lys

PostPosted: Fri Jan 02, 2015 11:41 pm Reply with quote
Part of the contest's prize is being "offered the job of translating their entire manga" (meaning the entire series? or the first volume?)—this goes to the grand prize winner as well as the top winner for each other series (these awards are chosen by the judges, not the audience vote), so supposedly all four series could be translated. However, I've never yet figured out where you can find translations of the previous years' titles (other than the excerpts that were translated for the contest and are still available at the old site), so...
BrainBlow

PostPosted: Sat Jan 03, 2015 2:12 am Reply with quote
ajtpak wrote:

Same. I ordered the anime from New Zealand, and I really want to get the manga as well!
FireballDragon

PostPosted: Sat Jan 03, 2015 3:31 am Reply with quote
PLEASE let Nichijou win...
KuroTheDigger

PostPosted: Sat Jan 03, 2015 5:14 am Reply with quote
Wait... So if Nichijou wins does that mean it'll get an official physical English release over in the west?
lys

PostPosted: Sat Jan 03, 2015 9:06 am Reply with quote
No. As I just explained, ALL four series supposedly will get translated by their respective winners (if you can figure out where to find them—they're probably digital-only if they exist at all), so voting for Nichijou doesn't better its chances for that (at all: the popular vote is a totally separate prize from the grand winner that the judges decide).

Vote for the translator you think did the best work, not the series you like best.
LokiReed

PostPosted: Sat Jan 03, 2015 11:44 am Reply with quote
i love nichijou! wish the anime would've gotten a u.s. release though.....
lawnmower16

PostPosted: Sun Jan 04, 2015 2:09 pm Reply with quote
Hey guys, Daniel Fawson here. I'm one of the translators of Nichijou. Mine currently has the most votes, but to be honest, I'm more worried about it than I am happy. The last two years (or at least last year, trying to find the winners from the first year was a real adventure) the "audience award" winner was a different person entirely than the grand/first prize winners.

For those of you who just want an official translation of Nichijou, this doesn't mean much, as each manga's respective winners are being offered a job. For me though, it's a world of difference. Obviously, I want the job, not some pat on the head. I'm not sure if they choose the audience award out of those who did not win, if they choose it completely separately and it was just a coincidence, or if being selected for the audience award makes you no longer a candidate for the real prizes. I hope it's one of the first two.

Go vote on which translation is your favorite! I don't really care who wins the audience award, as it seems to have no bearing on anything, and the more votes the better. And cross your fingers for me, lol
yotsubafanfan

PostPosted: Sun Jan 04, 2015 11:29 pm Reply with quote
In the name of all that is right with this world PLEASE translate Nichijou!!!
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1