• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Vertical Confirms Tokyo ESP Manga License

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
gel309

PostPosted: Tue Jan 13, 2015 5:57 pm Reply with quote
From the same author, Ga-rei should also be licensed somehow
Mature-Kun

PostPosted: Tue Jan 13, 2015 6:27 pm Reply with quote
This series wasn't already licensed? Anyway, glad to see it's coming in English. I quite enjoy this series. I was really disappointed in the anime though. I'd welcome a second season if another studio handled it.
here-and-faraway

PostPosted: Tue Jan 13, 2015 6:32 pm Reply with quote
gel309 wrote:

I enjoyed its prequel, Ga-Rei Zero and was interested in the manga title. That would be awesome.

I'm very happy for the fans of Tokyo ESP. That's great news.
Kadmos1

PostPosted: Tue Jan 13, 2015 7:03 pm Reply with quote
gel309 wrote:

I take it you mean the manga as the anime is also licensed by Funi and was released a while back.
Saeglopur25

PostPosted: Tue Jan 13, 2015 7:11 pm Reply with quote
How about you guys actually link to their official announcement in the article?

http://vertical-inc.tumblr.com/post/108021142256/so-it-looks-like-vendors-are-starting-to-trickle
Egan Loo

PostPosted: Tue Jan 13, 2015 7:40 pm Reply with quote
Saeglopur25 wrote:
How about you guys actually link to their official announcement in the article?

http://vertical-inc.tumblr.com/post/108021142256/so-it-looks-like-vendors-are-starting-to-trickle

As the timestamp on the article indicates, ANN posted the article before Vertical's Tumblr post. Vertical confirmed the license with ANN directly, before posting on Tumblr.
cloud8100

PostPosted: Tue Jan 13, 2015 8:14 pm Reply with quote
Excellent, will be picking this up Smile
noblesse oblige

PostPosted: Tue Jan 13, 2015 10:15 pm Reply with quote
Eh, not for me, but I'm happy for the fans of the series. Does anyone know if the anime was popular here?

It's interesting to see Vertical go more in the shounen direction, not that I feel they should be pigeonholed into only alternative and mature material. I just hope whatever they publish is a hit for them.
kevinx59

PostPosted: Wed Jan 14, 2015 12:29 am Reply with quote
This is unexpected but cool. Looks like I'll be making my very first Vertical purchase later this year.
Ali07

PostPosted: Wed Jan 14, 2015 4:06 am Reply with quote
Doesn't seem like a title Vertical would go for. Saw the anime, was underwhelmed. No interest in checking out the manga, but it's good that the series' fans are getting this.
Detrimont

PostPosted: Wed Jan 14, 2015 4:40 am Reply with quote
Ali07 wrote:
Doesn't seem like a title Vertical would go for. Saw the anime, was underwhelmed. No interest in checking out the manga, but it's good that the series' fans are getting this.

tbf, the manga is a lot better than the anime adaption
Mr_42

PostPosted: Wed Jan 14, 2015 6:32 am Reply with quote
noblesse oblige wrote:
Eh, not for me, but I'm happy for the fans of the series. Does anyone know if the anime was popular here?

It's interesting to see Vertical go more in the shounen direction, not that I feel they should be pigeonholed into only alternative and mature material. I just hope whatever they publish is a hit for them.

I would almost argue that Tokyo ESP is a Seinen series, definitely towards the end it has much more grim and meaningful moments and messages.

I'm stoked for the release of the original material as I thought the show took all the "popular" elements of the series and blew them up while playing down the parts that made the manga interesting and engaging. Also the animation quality was awful, that's not an opinion that's a fact. Character were missing shadows, people looked like Salvador Dali drew them even if they weren't in the background! It was a mess, the plot was twisted and changed (a mess), the very appearance of allot of character was completely redesign to be more mainstream and that was a mess as well.

I didn't particularly like the series, as you may be able to tell, but i loved the manga so I am now a very, very happy man.
BrainBlow

PostPosted: Wed Jan 14, 2015 7:37 am Reply with quote
Oh thank goodness for this!
At least SOMETHING good came out of that shitty dreck of an anime!
Ali07

PostPosted: Thu Jan 15, 2015 5:21 am Reply with quote
Detrimont wrote:
Ali07 wrote:

tbf, the manga is a lot better than the anime adaption

And that may be the case. But, what was shown in the anime in no way makes me want to part with $ to buy the manga.
noblesse oblige

PostPosted: Thu Jan 15, 2015 10:58 pm Reply with quote
Mr_42 wrote:
noblesse oblige wrote:

I would almost argue that Tokyo ESP is a Seinen series, definitely towards the end it has much more grim and meaningful moments and messages.

Hmmm, really? I assumed it was shonen because it's published in Shonen Ace with series like Future Diary and Deadman Wonderland which are super shonen and not really my thing. I do like the Evangelion manga though, so who knows.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1