• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
The List - 7 Tragically Unlicensed Shojo Anime

Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
MajorZero

PostPosted: Sun Mar 15, 2015 1:54 pm Reply with quote
Some pretty good anime in this list. Though, is there a reason to license stuff like that? I thought market for shoujo anime and manga is pretty slim in the West.
maximilianjenus

PostPosted: Sun Mar 15, 2015 1:55 pm Reply with quote
for the new poll was gonna vote togo from golgo 13, but the assassin who actually kills more important characters is yoko ritona with her spoiler[kiss of death] so I added her instead
YumeHunter

PostPosted: Sun Mar 15, 2015 2:16 pm Reply with quote
Chihayafuru is not shoujo, it's josei.
Princess_Irene
ANN Reviewer

PostPosted: Sun Mar 15, 2015 2:20 pm Reply with quote
For me Nurse Angel Ririka would be on that list - it's a surprisingly dark magical girl show for its time (90s) and Ririka herself is a terrific heroine. Plus that ending...!
Hameyadea

PostPosted: Sun Mar 15, 2015 2:33 pm Reply with quote
For the Survey, I chose Henrietta, although Claes and Angelica were just as good of a choice. Reason being that, from the list, they are the most versatile and assassin-like than some of the other characters, who are called assassins but most brute-force their way to their target, or expose their presence too much.

Last edited by Hameyadea on Sun Mar 15, 2015 2:34 pm; edited 1 time in total
ThatGuyWhoLikesThings

PostPosted: Sun Mar 15, 2015 2:34 pm Reply with quote
I put in Claire Stanfield from Baccano in the assassin's poll, for reasons that should be obvious if you've seen the show.

The only Shojo anime that I've ever enjoyed, that I can remember anyway, would have to be Ouran, though I might check out Chihayafuru one of these days.
asdqweiop

PostPosted: Sun Mar 15, 2015 2:34 pm Reply with quote
YumeHunter wrote:

i can't wait for this thread to devolve into arguing over the minutiae of japanese genre classifications. we get it, you're so smart and knowledgable.

someone pls put a bullet between my [expletive] eyes
PurpleWarrior13

PostPosted: Sun Mar 15, 2015 2:43 pm Reply with quote
Also Skip Beat and Tokyo Mew Mew.
Megiddo

PostPosted: Sun Mar 15, 2015 2:45 pm Reply with quote
Chihayafuru and Hataraki Man are not shoujo.

Could use Skip Beat and Shugo Chara as well in my opinion.
Hameyadea

PostPosted: Sun Mar 15, 2015 2:50 pm Reply with quote
asdqweiop wrote:
i can't wait for this thread to devolve into arguing over the minutiae of japanese genre classifications. we get it, you're so smart and knowledgable.

I'll honor you by being "that guy". The list is for the shōjo demographic (少女 shōjo = little/young woman), that is girls aged 8-18. Josei (女性 josei = [adult] woman) covers the rest of the ages. In a list proclaming to be consisted of shōjo titles, a josei title would be out-of-place.

It would be like making a list of "Shōnen Titles You Most Want to See Getting a Sequel" and have Berserk or Monster on the list. Hell, even Non Non Biyori and Ōkiku Furikabutte (Big Windup!) aren't shōnen titles.

I guess the question is how those josei titles were marketed abroad, since I won't be surprised if an international publisher wanted to sell more copies by claiming that the title was part of other tier of the demography table. And if the content of said titles can be considered as shōjo by the laymen, that it raises the possibility even higher (because younger audience = bigger pool of potential buyers).

Last edited by Hameyadea on Sun Mar 15, 2015 2:58 pm; edited 2 times in total
rizuchan
Collector Extraordinaire

PostPosted: Sun Mar 15, 2015 2:52 pm Reply with quote
asdqweiop wrote:
YumeHunter wrote:

someone pls put a bullet between my [expletive] eyes

I don't want this thread to devolve into that kind of discussion either, because as it was mentioned with Hataraki Man, what demographic enjoys a show can be quite different than just what type of magazine it was serialized in. That said, for a list titled "Shoujo anime" and then coming right and saying "Our number one choice is actually a Seinen, and really is more Jousei anyway..." is just fodder for that kind of argument.

...Speaking of Hataraki Man, I desperately want to watch it but I can't even find fansubs of it anymore. Crying or Very sad

Anyway, I would really love to see Hana Yori Dango licensed. It looked like the manga was a big hit! Hopefully Discotek is taking a look at it since they seem to be having some success with Itazura Kiss and Lovely Complex.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
ANN_Lynzee
ANN Executive Editor

PostPosted: Sun Mar 15, 2015 2:53 pm Reply with quote
Yes, before this devolves further:

Re Hataraki Man, I think I touched on that in the actual entry. Although there are plenty of readers that go to the comment thread after just reading the titles and don't read what's next to it, so just in case:

Quote:
Hataraki Man is a show that defies general demographic stereotypes. The manga ran in a seinen magazine, but it stars a working class adult woman more often seen in josei works.

As far as Chihayafuru, I didn't know that one was considered josei.

Quote:
"Our number one choice is actually a Seinen, and really is more Jousei anyway..." is just fodder for that kind of argument.

It isn't "fodder." I attempt to pick concise titles but there's always some level of nitpicking that happens. "Tragically Unlicensed Shojo Anime" covers the idea better than "Tragically Unlicensed Shows Targeted at Girls and Women Between the Ages of 8-25"

Last edited by ANN_Lynzee on Sun Mar 15, 2015 3:04 pm; edited 1 time in total
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
ScruffyKiwi

PostPosted: Sun Mar 15, 2015 2:55 pm Reply with quote
Paradise Kiss is still under licence. I purchased it this year. Of course I live in NZ so too bad USA!!!
Lord Geo

PostPosted: Sun Mar 15, 2015 3:16 pm Reply with quote
I remember reading once that Moyoco Anno apparently is disappointed with Hataraki Man, including the anime adaptation, and doesn't want to to be licensed. A similar situation applies to You're Under Arrest, which Kosuke Fujishima won't allow anyone to license (the manga) because he feels that the artwork is too poor in comparison to his later work (or something like that).

Kind of surprised that Kamikaze Kaito Jeanne isn't on the list. I haven't seen the anime but I really enjoyed the manga , & I've heard good things about the anime.
Agent355

PostPosted: Sun Mar 15, 2015 3:16 pm Reply with quote
I'd like to watch or read Hataraki Man, too, but unfortunately, josei (and even seinen) doesn't have much of a market here.

What about Please Save My Earth and Basara? Both stories have limited anime adaptations (IIRC, PSME was an OVA), but I've heard good things, and maybe making their anime available in English would reignite an interest in their original manga, which would convince Viz to license more series like them, or even to re-release those titles in print! (Dreams, dreams...) Smile
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next
Page 1 of 7