• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
The Set List - Top 10 EDs of 2004

Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Random 21

PostPosted: Tue Apr 14, 2015 12:17 pm Reply with quote
Another great list, as per usual. Just to satisfy my curiosity, since you seem to be doing these year op lists in pairs, will you be doing an ED list for the years you've already covered back when you were on TGWTG?
varmintx

PostPosted: Tue Apr 14, 2015 12:43 pm Reply with quote
I did not see it coming as I assumed For the Love of Life would take the top spot. Poor Monster, always the bridesmaid.
Gina Szanboti

PostPosted: Tue Apr 14, 2015 12:52 pm Reply with quote
I hate to be critical over such a tiny nitpick and have held back from mentioning it til now, but it looks like there's a hair over the upper left corner of the video's white frame and it's very distracting (in full screen). Smile I keep wanting to reach out and brush it off.

On a different note, would it be possible if it's not a major pain to put the song titles in the poll with or instead of just the series title? I can't remember last week, let alone ten years ago what the EDs for any series were. Unless it was truly exceptional in my mind, I tend to just glom onto favorite songs without necessarily associating them with their series, so I end up just voting for my favorites from your list, since I've just been reminded of their series. But I imagine other people might be the opposite and don't even know the song titles, just their series, so... :/

Anyway, I really enjoy and look forward to this column, and this particular list included 8 favorites, and only 2 that I hadn't heard before.
dtm42

PostPosted: Tue Apr 14, 2015 1:02 pm Reply with quote
Great to see Fantastic Children making the list. It's one of only three theme songs ever that have made me tear up. It is my pick for the number one ending theme of 2004, and it's one of the best of all time.

I would have also included on the 2004 list Samurai 7, Gantz and Gundam SEED Destiny's first ED; say what you like about thew rest of GSD, the opening and closing themes were always musically great.

It's interesting to examine one's own tastes. I've noticed that most of my favourite closers are visually simple but musically powerful. Wolf's Rain's ED and Macross Frontier's first ED are two of my favourites even though there isn't much going on visually-speaking.
justsomeaccount

PostPosted: Tue Apr 14, 2015 1:05 pm Reply with quote
I've sadly not seen many shows from 2004: Koi Kaze (which also has a neat ED mainly thanks to Masumi Itou's voice), Paranoia Agent (if it's a question mark, who is the final point--?! ohh~), Samurai Champloo (my favorite ED song) and Monster (argh, did it have a voice?! In the spanish dub it's just the music without voice, and although it's atmospheric it was always okay. If I knew that there was vocal before...).

By the way, I guess very soon we will find videogames music, isn't it? Since it's said everytime at the start of the episode, I'm curious about what kind of games or if they have to be related with anime or something.
LuScr

PostPosted: Tue Apr 14, 2015 1:35 pm Reply with quote
A bit surprised Uta~Kata didn't make the list--the flow of the music fit the show well, and the weekly guest artists contributing to the ED is something I haven't seen done before or since.

Still, it's hard to argue with any of the selections here.
Cyberphobe

PostPosted: Tue Apr 14, 2015 1:37 pm Reply with quote
IMO Samurai Champloo had the best ending followed closely by 2nd GIG. One ending I was surprised didn't make the list was Samurai 7's ed.
One-Eye

PostPosted: Tue Apr 14, 2015 2:40 pm Reply with quote
Oh, yea Gankutsuou: The Count of Monte Cristo ED. While I don't rate the show that highly its one of the few that I would continue to watch the ending theme every time without skipping. It was just a blast.

I also have to say that I really like The Gokusen Ending Theme. The Japanese woodcut style influences in some of the art are fun and the song is great too.

Beck: Mongolian chop squad ending song is another favorite too. I just wish that maybe there was a little more to the visuals.

I'm really enjoying the Set-List Hope thanks for putting this together.
varmintx

PostPosted: Tue Apr 14, 2015 2:53 pm Reply with quote
justsomeaccount wrote:
Monster (argh, did it have a voice?! In the spanish dub it's just the music without voice, and although it's atmospheric it was always okay. If I knew that there was vocal before...).
The same thing happened with the Sci-fi Channel run here in the States with it only being instrumental. Gotta assume it was a rights issue.
Xristophoros

PostPosted: Tue Apr 14, 2015 3:21 pm Reply with quote
samurai champloo and paranoia agent ED's are by far my favourite on the list. timeless and exceptional series as well.
EricJ2

PostPosted: Tue Apr 14, 2015 3:58 pm Reply with quote
Always thought the Afro Gunsou animation wasn't supposed to be a "Saturday Night Fever" parody, it was supposed to be a Dance Dance Revolution parody.
(Nor was it supposed to be the frog equivalent of Disco Duck. Rolling Eyes )

As for "why afros?", that would depend on the show's particular preoccupation with Dance Man (if there is such a performer, unlike Nabeshin), who seems to be the only one in Japan who still remembers Rick James. Or in the US, ftm.
Hameyadea

PostPosted: Tue Apr 14, 2015 4:05 pm Reply with quote
While I remembered Monster's ED, I nearly forgot all the about Samurai Champloo's.

Other good EDs, IMO, were those of DearS (Happy Cosmos by PoppinS, which is a nice J-pop song), and Elfen Lied's (Be Your Girl by Chieko Kawabe, which is a more J-rock-oriented song).
TheTsunami

PostPosted: Tue Apr 14, 2015 4:35 pm Reply with quote
1 and 2 were no doubters. Also knew the Keroro first ed would have to be in there somewhere. For some reason, I have an odd nostalgic attachment to the Mai-Hime ed theme (Kimi ga Sora datta). Can't wait for the next year to get the Set List treatment.
Xavi_

PostPosted: Tue Apr 14, 2015 6:34 pm Reply with quote
Thank you VERY much for creating these videos. I was barely around in 2004, so most of these tunes are completely new for me (and some of them went right into my Favorites folder). I reeaaaaally appreciate it.

One of my favorites was Paranoia Agent - Maromi no Theme, so I went looking for it and found this "cover" instead by Suri Ookami: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JnHR4Lexngc If you enjoyed the original, give this one a try (it's 90 seconds anyways!).
Lord Geo

PostPosted: Tue Apr 14, 2015 6:54 pm Reply with quote
A nice list, especially because of the inclusion of Fantastic Children's excellent ED (which also has a completely Russian version during a specific multi-episode flashback portion in the 2nd half). While there are EDs that I do enjoy, I'm more of an OP kind of guy (if that makes any sense). That being said, there are some EDs not on Hope's list that I think are still worth talking about:

"[kitty]" from Yugo the Negotiator
Much like the OP song, this ED isn't exactly "fitting" for an anime about a crisis negotiator that is willing to take any torture that's put in front of him, but there's just a really cool sense of calm & assuredness I get from "[kitty]". In fact, I actually prefer the version of the song used for the second story arc, as it's a really cool acoustic version that I can't find a full version of, if it even exists.

"Alive" from Ragnarok the Animation
Wow, I haven't really thought about this song in a while, but seeing Ragnarok in the poll reminded me of how nice this ED by Maimi Yamazaki is. A very simple song, accompanied by simple ED footage showing the leads coming together on their continual journeying, but a beautiful song nonetheless for a show that I think was much better than most people give it credit for (I'll have to give this a re-watch one day to see if I still feel this way, but I doubt much will be different).

"Life is Like a Boat" & "Thank You!!" from Bleach
A two-fer here, simply because both songs are astounding. Rie Fu's first ED theme is just such a beautiful song that does a nice job at fitting Bleach at the very beginning, where most of the main characters obviously would like to have that sense of camaraderie, but each of their personalities (outside of Ichigo/Chad & Orihime in general) make them hide their true feelings (especially Rukia, as the ED footage shows). The full version is even nicer, too.

The 2nd ED by HOME MADE KAZOKU is essentially the resolution of the first ED, showcasing the leads (& especially Rukia) accepting each others friendship, & thanking each other for it. While not the absolute best HMK song, it's definitely one of them. I can understand that neither of these aren't in Hope's list, though, since she already did a list dedicated solely to Bleach EDs.

"TAKE MY SOUL FOREVER" from Ring ni Kakero 1
This is nothing more than an energetic song about continually getting up & aiming to be better than before, a perfect fit for a series about something like boxing. The footage focusing on Ryuji's roadwork & shadowboxing is a great match, and I'm sure the song itself makes for great running music. It's definitely a PSYCHIC LOVER standard, in my opinion. In fact, this was my favorite RnK1 ED theme until 2011, when Sekai Taikai-hen/Season 4 used "Niji no Kanata" by Marina del ray.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next
Page 1 of 3