• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Interview: Aya Kanno

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Carlooo

PostPosted: Wed May 27, 2015 9:50 am Reply with quote
Quote:
I am strongly skeptical and opposed to the general definition of ordinary morals that provided.

I think there's something missing in this sentence...
here-and-faraway

PostPosted: Wed May 27, 2015 10:30 am Reply with quote
First off, thanks for the interview. I enjoyed the questions that you asked.

I figure there will be some fans of Rose King reading this, so may I please ask a question...

I've only read the first volume, but is the protagonist really a hermaphrodite (someone born with male and female reproductive organs) or just a girl who was raised to believe that she is a boy? I don't get the feeling that s/he is transgender because my understanding of transgender is it's something a child/adult naturally feels and doesn't have programmed into them, whereas the protagonist has obviously been conditioned to think a certain way about him/herself.
lys

PostPosted: Wed May 27, 2015 11:13 am Reply with quote
I've only read v1 myself so I don't have any more information to add, but I thought that spoiler[the reactions people had at Richard's birth indicated something was not "normal," so I didn't get the impression that it was as simple as "Oh, a girl was born but let's raise her as a boy."] I do agree that conditioning through childhood certainly didn't make the situation any easier...

(I'd love to read Kanno-sensei's Shinsengumi manga, and Hitoritachi!! Make it happen please, English publishers :D (though I may just order Hitoritachi in Japanese one of these days...))
st_owly

PostPosted: Wed May 27, 2015 12:33 pm Reply with quote
I would definitely welcome more of Sensei's manga in English. Otomen has a special place in my heart as volume 1 came out in English just before I went to university, and the final one came out just before I finished, so it's been with me all that time. Now I need to get to Requiem 1 when I get home...
here-and-faraway

PostPosted: Wed May 27, 2015 3:07 pm Reply with quote
@lys

Thank you! It probably sounds like a weird thing to fixate on, but since this is a manga aimed toward the teenage girl demographic, I didn't want to feel sympathy for the character's gender struggles only to have a "safe" slapdash, "I was a girl all the time..." ending.
MarshalBanana

PostPosted: Wed May 27, 2015 3:21 pm Reply with quote
It is the English War of the Roses, this was long before the act of union.
Hameyadea

PostPosted: Thu May 28, 2015 1:02 am Reply with quote
That was interesting to read about.
Agent355

PostPosted: Thu May 28, 2015 5:45 pm Reply with quote
That was interesting; makes me want to give Otomen another try. Requiem looks gorgeous, but honestly I've never read those Shakespeare plays. Will I be lost?
Ashen Phoenix

PostPosted: Thu May 28, 2015 6:58 pm Reply with quote
I'm very curious about Requiem now. I'll have to give it a try. I read a bit of Otomen but kinda fell off after a few volumes. Hmm. Maybe I'll need to give it another chance.

Very interesting interview.
Usagi-kun

PostPosted: Thu May 28, 2015 7:25 pm Reply with quote
I now have a new manga-ka to check out. Thanks for the interview.
lys

PostPosted: Thu May 28, 2015 8:05 pm Reply with quote
@Agent355, I don't think familiarity with Shakespeare's plays is at all a requirement for this series (I haven't read/seen any of his history plays except Julius Caesar). In one of her panels at TCAF, Kanno-sensei noted that Shakespeare isn't widely read by Japanese (beyond maybe R&J I'm guessing, inspiration of a thousand manga school plays) so the target audience wouldn't be expected to know much/anything beyond what the manga itself portrays.
Princess_Irene
ANN Reviewer

PostPosted: Fri May 29, 2015 7:03 am Reply with quote
^In fact, I think you're better off not having read the plays. I've read all four and honestly spent too much time trying to figure out where in the plays Kanno was chronologically and whether or not she was quoting from them. I think you'll enjoy the manga much more without Obsessive Shakespeare Disorder.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1