• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
The Mike Toole Show - Nintendo Power

Goto page 1, 2  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
residentgrigo

PostPosted: Sun May 31, 2015 12:37 pm Reply with quote
I actually knew of all of these and i surprised myself when i clicked on Salamander to see a weak there. An anime so memorable i forgot i saw it. Wow.
Ruy is still married in Ninja Ryūkenden as this was before DEO retconned all that. Norio Wakamoto shows up and the second half has blood fountains so watch that one if you must as it is the "best" amongst the selection but i still can´t truly recommend it.

Big N is good with all sorts of things but certainly not narratives. A good studio could turn Metroid or Zelda (some of the manga are alright) into a good show of course but they would need to come up with so much content on their own so I would love to see well written Nintendo games first. Or ones with voice acting. Zelda i am looking @ you! A mute cast in 2016 can´t fly.
3rd party support would be nice too but i get why none bother as my WiiU sees less action then the Gamecube back in the day.

Last edited by residentgrigo on Sun May 31, 2015 2:29 pm; edited 2 times in total
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
GATSU

PostPosted: Sun May 31, 2015 1:11 pm Reply with quote
I keep hoping we'll get Zelda and Metroid anime one day. They claimed that they couldn't do a live-action movie of the latter, because there was no proper 'backstory' for Samus, but they could've just used that Nintendo Power manga as a source.
leafy sea dragon

PostPosted: Sun May 31, 2015 1:19 pm Reply with quote
Games like the Fire Emblem series and the Paper Mario series DO indicate there are people who can write good stories within Nintendo (or maybe just the Intelligent Systems branch). Thing is that a lack of story is a policy actively enforced in the main branch, particularly under Shigeru Miyamoto, who excised the story out of Paper Mario: Sticker Star. Rosalina's story in Super Mario Galaxy, widely considered the best tale told in the main series, was created and snuck in the game without Miyamoto knowing until it was released. He was not happy and supervised Super Mario Galaxy 2 closely so that it didn't happen again.

The reason why we don't see a lot of anime adaptations of Nintendo properties, despite their high output, is because, at least until recently, Nintendo was infamously strict about handing out licenses. Having searched for rare Nintendo merchandise, the pattern I got out of it was that Nintendo would only give licenses to companies with a history of consistent success and usually only companies that created children's products. If any product got a significant amount of negative criticism, Nintendo would permanently stop doing business with the company that made them. In other words, Nintendo was, and in a way, still is incredibly protective of its intellectual properties and will take as few risks as possible, even if it meant passing up golden opportunities. (I was astonished when the people at Starman actually got permission from Nintendo to make the Earthbound Adventure pack.)

Notice that Nintendo is one of the last holdouts for Funko figurines, for instance. They got other companies known for their pickiness in licensing in on it, like Disney, DC Comics, Children's Television Workshop, and Capcom, but not Nintendo.
Lord Geo

PostPosted: Sun May 31, 2015 1:55 pm Reply with quote
I'm going to have to disagree with Mike on Salamander & Ninja Ryukenden, because I really enjoyed both of them when I saw them a few years back; I even reviewed them back then. Sure, neither are going to go down as masterpieces of their craft, but I found both very good for different reasons. For Salamander, I enjoyed the characters conversing & actually feeling like developed characters, and the various bits of Gradius fanservice were inserted in subtle ways, like a stage layout being used during a mission briefing or some of the music being arranged by the person in charge of the music. Considering how light the Gradius franshise is on story, I enjoyed that Salamander aimed to be more than simply nothing more than a space ship shooting Bacterians, with nothing to show for it. Mike's explanation for not liking sounds kind of like a catch-22 that would have resulted in him not enjoying it either way. It went in a slower-paced, character-focused path when Mike obviously wanted space shooting, but even if it was more like its source material then it likely would have felt vapid & pointless, since it would have been nothing more than shooty-shooty bang-bang with no substance to grab onto.

As for Ninja Ryukenden, I simply loved how it was just a simple action/horror story with monsters & lots of blood, especially in the second half. Admittedly, the bar for video game anime, especially from the 80s & 90s, is super-low, but I'll gladly take something like Ninja Ryukenden over a Tekken or Panzer Dragoon any day. Considering how notorious the Ninja Gaiden series would be for its over-the-top violence when it got rebooted via Team Ninja, the OVA is a neat link between the original trilogy & the later trilogy, as it features the original characters (with some alterations, obviously) but it has the latter's sense of hyper-violence.
GATSU

PostPosted: Sun May 31, 2015 1:58 pm Reply with quote
leafy:
Quote:
(I was astonished when the people at Starman actually got permission from Nintendo to make the Earthbound Adventure pack.)

It's 'cus Earthbound is such a crappy seller that Nintendo doesn't feel threatened by that kind of thing. If it were a little more high-profile like, say, Kirby, then it'd be a different story.
D no Amerika

PostPosted: Sun May 31, 2015 3:12 pm Reply with quote
I can see a number of good anime for certain frachises if handled by the right studios. For Mario, I see either TRIGGER or MADHOUSE, because they could adapt to the wackiness and tones of the Mario games. To something like Paper Mario: The Thousand Year Door. For Metroid, Production I.G., seeing as how they handle Ghost in the Shell, they could be able to try and come up with similar techniques with Metroid. For Zelda, SHAFT. Proof is in that Smash trailer, though ufotable could also do an amazing job with Zelda. Then, games like Star Fox and F-Zero could be adapted by TRIGGER. Same with MADHOUSE, looking works like Gurren Lagann and Redline. As far who directs them, I'm not all too sure, but this is my opinion. But so far, I just felt that each game goes to these studios' styles,
MetalUpa1014

PostPosted: Sun May 31, 2015 3:32 pm Reply with quote
Wow, ANN finally mentioned the Mario anime film and the Amada series. Oddly enough, those were the first anime I ever watched. While Amada is pretty mediocre, I still think that the film isn't too bad. It's faithful to the games, has its charm, and the characters are much more believable with their personalities. Damn shame that it's so rare. I keep hoping that one day it'll be re-licensed. It's not a bad movie at all.

Not sure if you know, but there's also a third anime called Mario Kirby Masterpiece. But it's hard to call it animation when it's just still images with narration. This VHS tape is even rarer. It was meant to be an educational thing which taught Japanese children kanji.

The Ninja Gaiden OVA is pretty terrible, IMO. You can really tell that it was made during Japan's asset bubble when there were a ton of these crappy OVAs from creators. Besides some half-decent action, the plot makes no sense and the animation is poor. There was also an adaptation for the original Megami Tensei Famicom game, which I think is even worse.
malvarez1

PostPosted: Sun May 31, 2015 3:49 pm Reply with quote
Sorry if this is a dumb question that was answered in the article, but since this was about Nintendo anime, why didn't you bring up the Kirby or F-Zero anime?

Or, for that matter, the Fire Emblem or Kid Icarus OVAs?
kurowa-san

PostPosted: Sun May 31, 2015 4:16 pm Reply with quote
Man, the Super Mario Brothers Super Show was insane. The live action had Lou Albano having adventures in one set of a living room, and then there were the animated parts. I always found it odd that Link was the buttmonkey throughout the entire thing save for a few moments.

Also, wasn't there a FF5 OVA series?
cookie
Former ANN Editor in Chief

PostPosted: Sun May 31, 2015 5:03 pm Reply with quote
kurowa-san wrote:
wasn't there a FF5 OVA series?

Indeed yes there was. The OVA series is thankfully very forgettable, and only ties in very very loosely with FF5 proper. If memory serves, it was one of those "100 years after the world was saved... here's the story of some unrelated characters!" kinda stories. There was also a FF Unlimited TV series whose main attraction was the catchy theme song. It did so poorly that they cancelled half-way through the story and finished it out with manga/etc after. FFU was unrelated to any existing FF property, though.

There's also a Wizardry OVA, based on the game of the same name. It has an interesting connection to the modern domestic anime industry -- the original developer for the game was Robert Woodhead, who would later go on to found AnimEigo. As far as I'm aware, he had no guidance/direction on the OVA itself, but it was based on his original work at least.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
penguintruth

PostPosted: Sun May 31, 2015 5:07 pm Reply with quote
I've been waiting for an animated adaptation of Super Mario RPG for over a decade. Probably not going to happen. Chrono Trigger, too. ESPECIALLY Chrono Trigger, I should say.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address My Anime My Manga
belvadeer

PostPosted: Sun May 31, 2015 5:13 pm Reply with quote
Quote:
It's got a number of other weird details to it, as well—Princess Peach is voiced by a 17-year-old pop idol named Mami Yamase (who also sings an insert song), with other tunes penned by Pink Lady ghostwriter Toshiyuki Omori.

Not as weird as a woman with a deep voice being cast as Bowser. Couldn't stand Peach's voice for that matter, either.

Quote:
Star Ocean

Ugh, don't remind me. Star Ocean EX was completely horrible, an acidic spit in the face to Star Ocean 2. Wild Arms TV was just as bad too.

Quote:
Do you think the right studio could make a Super Mario anime as good as the games?

Absolutely. They just need to get the lore down correctly and not make up random crap like that 1986 abomination did. To be fair, there wasn't much Mario lore around at the time, but the movie is just so random with what it does, like they were making it up as they went along. Luigi being money-grubbing was a little off-putting and I can only shake my head at the idea of the Mushroom Hermit and the fact there was a prince who was meant to be with Peach instead of Mario (so glad they didn't make that canon, ugh). Of course, I know Mario and Peach's relationship is a lot like Arthur and Prin Prin's from Ghosts 'n Goblins, so it's not like I'm expecting Mario to marry her or anything, just save her when she needs saving. But the idea of the prince was so cheesy and came out of left field.

I think the only flaw to such an anime will be Mario and the others speaking Japanese, as it still sounds very bizarre. Let's face it, there's a reason why Martinet and everyone voice the characters even in the Japanese versions of the games (and why Japan prefers it that way too).

kurowa-san wrote:
Also, wasn't there a FF5 OVA series?

Yes, but it wasn't very good at all, and just plain weird. It didn't help that it did bizarre things with the history of Bartz and company's past accomplishments, as well as making some poor attempts at humor. None of it was worth watching.

penguintruth wrote:
I've been waiting for an animated adaptation of Super Mario RPG for over a decade. Probably not going to happen. Chrono Trigger, too. ESPECIALLY Chrono Trigger, I should say.

Personally, I would have loved a Lufia adaptation myself (of both games so as to carry the storyline from Maxim's to his descendant's), if we're sticking with Nintendo games. As for Chrono Trigger, I agree, especially after the horrid abomination OVA they made which had virtually nothing to do with the game itself. Most disappointing waste of thirty minutes ever, so they owe the fans for torturing them with that drivel. And heck, tack on Chrono Cross as a bonus.

Last edited by belvadeer on Mon Jun 01, 2015 4:07 am; edited 1 time in total
ChrisKun2K5

PostPosted: Sun May 31, 2015 5:38 pm Reply with quote
First-time poster, long-time lurker. Smile

I was a subscriber to Nintendo Power for several years in the early '90s and the Zelda manga was the first time I ever heard of Shotaro Ishinomori. I had no idea he was a legend on the other side of the Pacific then, and I suspect it was other Americans' first exposure to his talents as well.

Who remembers Charlie Nozawa's Super Mario manga that was also serialized in NP around 1992? Those character designs, especially Peach's, were what I had always pictured in my mind a Super Mario anime to look like. And as a kid already being captivated by the art style of the anime I saw on Nick Jr. at the time, it made a big impression on me. The situations and ESPECIALLY the sometimes weirdly translated dialogue were quite corny, but I enjoyed it nonetheless and used to fantasize about it being made into an anime.

I have never seen the Mario anime but did see a lot of DIC's animated Mario series, including the Super Show, Captain N and even the Super Mario World cartoon in '91 when the Super NES was brand new on the market (with a Yoshi who not only could talk, albeit in the third person, but was hydrophobic). I believe Captain N was made with Japanese staff, although DIC used Korean or Chinese studios for the various Mario series.

BugTte Honey looks interesting to say the least and I would really like to see more of it. The animation in the tiny clip I've seen on YouTube looks quite good and the Dr. Slump/Dragonball similarity in the character designs hit me right away. It appears DB and BTH shared many more staff than just the character designer if you do a little digging around on the ANN Encyclopedia.

Despite its obscurity outside Japan, TMS appears to have at least made some sort of effort to sell Honey internationally. I've heard stories (unconfirmed) about the series being aired in South Africa in an Afrikaans dubbed version, and there seems to have been an English language version of the closing produced. I suspect the answers to these questions are on the Japanese DVD set which unfortunately I don't have the funds for. FWIW, TMS' official English title for the show is "Honeybee in Toycomland."

To add to the list, Anime Encyclopedia (and admittedly I take everything they say with a grain of salt because it contains so many errors) has a record of an OVA, movie and TV series being produced based on Konami's "Goemon" (released for the Super NES in the U.S. as "Legend of the Mystical Ninja"). I'm also a little surprised no one has mentioned the Ys series yet - Ys wasn't a Nintendo game originally but the Nintendo Famicom version came out the year before the OVA premiered. (I do remember playing Wanderers From Ys on the Super NES when it was released in America in 1991 or '92.)
belvadeer

PostPosted: Sun May 31, 2015 6:01 pm Reply with quote
ChrisKun2K5 wrote:
To add to the list, Anime Encyclopedia (and admittedly I take everything they say with a grain of salt because it contains so many errors) has a record of an OVA, movie and TV series being produced based on Konami's "Goemon" (released for the Super NES in the U.S. as "Legend of the Mystical Ninja"). I'm also a little surprised no one has mentioned the Ys series yet - Ys wasn't a Nintendo game originally but the Nintendo Famicom version came out the year before the OVA premiered. (I do remember playing Wanderers From Ys on the Super NES when it was released in America in 1991 or '92.)

I have the entire Goemon TV series actually. It's not very good, but it's decent, thankfully, especially when compared to other efforts. It strikes a middle ground since every episode just boils down to Goemon calling Goemon Impact to fight a giant enemy. And it includes characters from one of the many Goemon games we didn't get here, so that's kind of a plus for U.S. fans.

I really want the Ys OVA as I've been really into the games for a while now. I need to order that sometime soon. It'll be interesting hearing Adol do more talking than he's used to.
falcon.punch

PostPosted: Sun May 31, 2015 10:15 pm Reply with quote
I saw the Mario Movie, for me it was kinda strange, but I have my share of laughs too.

I think a good Mario anime should have the right director, right designer, and anything else, and the story should be consistent even if is the same gimmick for "saving the princess" form.

I'm curious about Bug the Honey though.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2