• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Shin Megami Tensei x Fire Emblem Crossover RPG's E3 Trailer Reveals Japanese Cast

Goto page 1, 2  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Calsolum

PostPosted: Tue Jun 16, 2015 2:32 pm Reply with quote
omg CHROM!
What happened to you?
you got... got.. Shin Megami Tensei-fied
and you actually look like a badass now!

well not that you actually looked bad before but the current look is so much cooler and fits the more mature theme of SMT.

And why is tiki a child... uh again? please tell me she still retains the ability to transform into possibly the strongest fire/magic breathing dragon in the fire emblem series.
Zuwaiss

PostPosted: Tue Jun 16, 2015 2:57 pm Reply with quote
Sheeda, Cain, and... Chrom? There is no reason Chrom is there instead of Marth, especially with Sheeda and Cain being there...
falcon.punch

PostPosted: Tue Jun 16, 2015 2:59 pm Reply with quote
This looks pretty nice and pretty much Japanese style, Idols, J-pop, etc.

The designs of the Mirages are pretty nice, I liked Caeda and Chrom (Now is Chrom time to shine xD)
Jajanken

PostPosted: Tue Jun 16, 2015 2:59 pm Reply with quote
This is a horrible idea that is appealing to weeaboo audiences
falcon.punch

PostPosted: Tue Jun 16, 2015 3:02 pm Reply with quote
Zuwaiss wrote:
Sheeda, Cain, and... Chrom? There is no reason Chrom is there instead of Marth, especially with Sheeda and Cain being there...

Maybe because he was absent in Smash Bros aside of being Robin's final Smash? Laughing
DRWii

PostPosted: Tue Jun 16, 2015 3:06 pm Reply with quote
Calsolum wrote:
please tell me she still retains the ability to transform into possibly the strongest fire/magic breathing dragon in the fire emblem series.

Based on the footage from 1:56-1:58, it looks like she might have a role similar to Mido (or Igor, or Victor, etc.)...but that would be odd, considering each character seems to only have one "FE" character tied with them, so that would be kind of pointless.
LokiReed

PostPosted: Tue Jun 16, 2015 3:37 pm Reply with quote
i came here for fire emblem and got very disappointed......
kevinx59

PostPosted: Tue Jun 16, 2015 4:15 pm Reply with quote
A (maybe) M-rated Nintendo game? We haven't had many of those. Didn't see anything that bad in the trailer, but the game looks pretty cool, if not very Fire Emblemy. Man I want a Wii U, this and Xenoblade X look awesome.
PetitePuff

PostPosted: Tue Jun 16, 2015 5:14 pm Reply with quote
That was a strange trailer Razz my interest is still piqued. Keeping my eye on this one, hope it turns out good. Smile there've been a couple trailers now, but I don't think anything's really been revealed about the gameplay. I wanna know more about that.
AiddonValentine

PostPosted: Tue Jun 16, 2015 8:15 pm Reply with quote
I love how much this game is pissing off Japanophobes. What's going to be more hilarious is when it releases and it turns out to be great, thus pissing them off more.
D no Amerika

PostPosted: Tue Jun 16, 2015 11:11 pm Reply with quote
I actually think this all attributes to a bigger picture. How I see it, it's basically like Madoka Magica. Where at first it looks innocent, then it's true darkness shows later on. If that's what their going for, it'd make sense that they have to hide it until it's released. What can support this is the key words "mirage" and "chosen ones." You can easily see the mirage aspects in the beginning of the trailer. With the girl growing flowers all over the city. And, what if she's the one of the "chosen ones." Chosen for what though? And notice how all of this is so anime-themed? (Of course you should. Just look at it.) Anime is a form of escapism, thus makes sense of all this otakuness. What if all of this is mirage that the player trapped in?
Zuwaiss

PostPosted: Tue Jun 16, 2015 11:48 pm Reply with quote
FalconPunch wrote:
Zuwaiss wrote:

Maybe because he was absent in Smash Bros aside of being Robin's final Smash? Laughing

It would be understandable if instead of Cain, we had another Red Christmasknight, but with the other two being from the originals, it doesn't make sense for Chrom to be there at all... First Marth got Heroes of Light and Shadow'd, and now SMT x FE'd, poor guy...

AiddonValentine wrote:
I love how much this game is pissing off Japanophobes. What's going to be more hilarious is when it releases and it turns out to be great, thus pissing them off more.

I'm not entirely sure if this game is pissing off any "Japanophobes", mostly just SMT and FE fans, is all. The first trailer, although very vague, got everyone's hopes up, expecting something akin to Project X Zone or SRW. But after two or so years of silence, we instead get "Persona + Fire Emblem: Awakening + Idols: The Game", thus spawning the "There was something wrong with the fusion" meme.
You could say the lied to us, you could say they didn't lie to us, but this is simply a case of people having their expectations crushed.
AiddonValentine

PostPosted: Wed Jun 17, 2015 11:09 am Reply with quote
Zuwaiss wrote:

I'm not entirely sure if this game is pissing off any "Japanophobes", mostly just SMT and FE fans, is all. The first trailer, although very vague, got everyone's hopes up, expecting something akin to Project X Zone or SRW. But after two or so years of silence, we instead get "Persona + Fire Emblem: Awakening + Idols: The Game", thus spawning the "There was something wrong with the fusion" meme.
You could say the lied to us, you could say they didn't lie to us, but this is simply a case of people having their expectations crushed.

When I see comments like THIS regularly on forums:

"Haven't played the others on the list, but those four are poor examples. SMTxFE looks to be a typical jRPG with token dungeon crawling, awful and pandering character design, dumb Idol worship, and plenty of sex (rated "mature" for a reason). That is extremely "Japanese," moreso than the games on your list."

That denotes a LOT of Japanophobia going on. Seriously, the SMT games have ALWAYS been unashamed in displaying their country of origin and have been great for it. And those who don't want to except that can just go sulk.

And then we get into the giant flaw about people judging the final product on the initial reveal: it was a bunch of still images. That's it. That was NOT a sign of how the game was going to turn out nor was it indicative of the actual concept (and that's also not taking into account at how an SRW-style crossover would be one of the laziest and most boring things ever).
Blaggaflagga

PostPosted: Wed Jun 17, 2015 1:16 pm Reply with quote
Nintendo and Atlus manages to piss off both FE and SMT fans in one fell swoop. Good job. IMO this looks like weeaboo garbage what with the idols and the jiggle physics and whatnot.
Dessa

PostPosted: Wed Jun 17, 2015 1:48 pm Reply with quote
Watched the gameplay on the Treehouse, and the game looks great. It feels a lot like DDS, which is my favorite SMT game after the Devil Survivor series.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2