• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Toei Europe Lists Dragon Ball Super at 100 Episodes

Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Stark700

PostPosted: Fri Jun 19, 2015 3:40 pm Reply with quote
2 years of Dragon Ball Super...oh my goodness. This is double the size of World Trigger.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
penguintruth

PostPosted: Fri Jun 19, 2015 3:46 pm Reply with quote
Call it conspiratorial if you will, but what if everything Toei was doing with DB for the past few years was a build up to this? Kai, the new DBZ movies, Xenoverse. That they actually planned these things out so they can put out a brand new DB series?

Eh, nevermind, it's Toei.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address My Anime My Manga
mangamuscle

PostPosted: Fri Jun 19, 2015 3:47 pm Reply with quote
Stark700 wrote:
2 years of Dragon Ball Super...oh my goodness. This is double the size of World Trigger.

... or almost four time the size of Sailor Moon Crystal.
GATSU

PostPosted: Fri Jun 19, 2015 3:48 pm Reply with quote
So it's not over 9,000 episodes? Fail. Razz
mgosdin

PostPosted: Fri Jun 19, 2015 3:49 pm Reply with quote
A commitment for 100 episodes says something about Toei's confidence in this new series, that's for certain.

Mark Gosdin
Jess-chan

PostPosted: Fri Jun 19, 2015 3:51 pm Reply with quote
Glad to know it's gonna be a long series. Can't wait Very Happy
Mewzard

PostPosted: Fri Jun 19, 2015 4:00 pm Reply with quote
I'm pretty sure this is just a placeholder number, as Toei's too cheap to commit to anything (even Dragon Ball) for a set period of time if they're not 100% sure they'll make money.

If Super succeeds, they'll probably run it for hundreds of episodes until interest does fade (either the audience's or Toriyama's), but if it fails early on to get the ratings/merchandise sales, they'd probably drop it and move on.
mangamuscle

PostPosted: Fri Jun 19, 2015 4:06 pm Reply with quote
Mewzard wrote:
I'm pretty sure this is just a placeholder number, as Toei's too cheap to commit to anything (even Dragon Ball) for a set period of time if they're not 100% sure they'll make money.

If Super succeeds, they'll probably run it for hundreds of episodes until interest does fade (either the audience's or Toriyama's), but if it fails early on to get the ratings/merchandise sales, they'd probably drop it and move on.

I highly doubt TOEI would go ahead making more episodes of super without Toriyama (after the lackluster GT series) and after being burn out the last time, I doubt Toriyama agreed to write a variable quantity of episodes, so it makes sense they announce from the start there will be 100 episodes of Super, not more, not less.
Hameyadea

As other have wrote, this is probably a placeholder number of the expected episode count; GT ran for 64 episodes, after all, and it was all anime-original as well.

As a side-note, if true, that will be equal to Slam Dunk's run of 101 episodes, which Toei also produced. Now, if only they would continue to animate the rest of the manga, that would be great.
diefty

mangamuscle wrote:
Stark700 wrote:

... or almost four time the size of Sailor Moon Crystal.

Actually we are getting a Sailor Moon Crystal 2 so probably the same as World Trigger.
tintor2

PostPosted: Fri Jun 19, 2015 4:16 pm Reply with quote
Sweet baby Kamisama Shocked I wonder if they have the budget to make this look appropiate
thekingsdinner

PostPosted: Fri Jun 19, 2015 4:22 pm Reply with quote
I hope that's true, I do love long shows.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
theNightster

PostPosted: Fri Jun 19, 2015 4:28 pm Reply with quote
Mewzard wrote:

well Toei is one of few company's that have released a series that's more than 25 episodes these days so you never know, I wonder if the animation is going to be any good, even their cash cow One piece isn't doing so well in that department recently
javierm885778

PostPosted: Fri Jun 19, 2015 4:31 pm Reply with quote
I just hope that the pacing is tighter than the original DBZ or current One Piece. Not having a source material to catch up should give them more freedom over the pacing.
ZODDGUTS

PostPosted: Fri Jun 19, 2015 4:46 pm Reply with quote
It will be countdown to 64 eps.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next
Page 1 of 3