• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
The X Button - Crime Scene, Part Fun

Goto page 1, 2  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
PingSoni
Subscriber

PostPosted: Thu Aug 06, 2015 12:09 pm Reply with quote
I, also, would love to see an upscaled release of FFXII a la FFX and FFX-2. Though the character development isn't complete and doesn't go in the direction some would like, it's a wonderful world to explore. And I personally like the the FFXII battle system the best of all Final Fantasy games.
Hoppy800

PostPosted: Thu Aug 06, 2015 12:51 pm Reply with quote
That Langrisser game has poor Amazon Japan ratings and I've heard everywhere that it's complete garbage, you might want to stay away.

Metropolis Defenders looks ok but not $48 ok, I'll wait for a price drop. I haven't played Sim City in years and I want to play something similar.
Southkaio

PostPosted: Thu Aug 06, 2015 1:02 pm Reply with quote
I am afraid that Mighty No. 9 will be eventually canceled. It will happen not because of Comcept's problems, but because the publisher insisted to the Comcept people that an animation studio from the Eastern Europe should be suitable for animating Mighty No. 9 characters and Comcept refused it.
Also, I am afraid that the voicing of Mighty No. 9 characters will be moved from Los Angeles to Montreal, where Samurai Pizza Cats used to be voiced.
So Anime News Network's campaign would be suitable for saving Mighty No. 9.
MajorZero

PostPosted: Thu Aug 06, 2015 1:11 pm Reply with quote
Well, I like the idea behind FFXII and attempts at more mature themes and storytelling (though it didn't worked out after all) but departure of Matsuno greatly affected development of the project. My main gripes are dead world, it feels like MMO without online features and characters of Vaan and Penelo. However, considering how JRPG market nowadays saturated by the games I can't stand to watch on YouTube let alone play HD Remaster of FFXII would've been must play for me.
Just-another-face

PostPosted: Thu Aug 06, 2015 1:29 pm Reply with quote
Southkaio wrote:
I am afraid that Mighty No. 9 will be eventually canceled. It will happen not because of Comcept's problems, but because the publisher insisted to the Comcept people that an animation studio from the Eastern Europe should be suitable for animating Mighty No. 9 characters and Comcept refused it.
Also, I am afraid that the voicing of Mighty No. 9 characters will be moved from Los Angeles to Montreal, where Samurai Pizza Cats used to be voiced.
So Anime News Network's campaign would be suitable for saving Mighty No. 9.

I am afraid you clearly have no idea what you're talking about.
BadNewsBlues

PostPosted: Thu Aug 06, 2015 1:39 pm Reply with quote
Quote:
and the actual departure of producer Akari Uchida, who oversaw the company's generally successful LovePlus virtual-girlfriend games. He also directed both Rumble Roses titles, so I doubt we'll see Konami make any more of those. The saga of schoolgirl rocker Candy Cane will go tragically unfinished.

Welp I always knew there would be no third game. Which is a shame I liked XX but Yuke's got a bit lazy.....and stupid with certain parts of the game but I always felt a third game could've fixed those problems
meiam

PostPosted: Thu Aug 06, 2015 2:21 pm Reply with quote
Hoppy800 wrote:
That Langrisser game has poor Amazon Japan ratings and I've heard everywhere that it's complete garbage, you might want to stay away.

Well that sucks, played Der langrisser on the Snes and it was amazing. Love any game where you can just keep the super artefact for yourself and then just kill anyone who get in your way, including Gods. There were few choice in it, but they had a million time more impact than anything bioware can even dream of. The gameplay was also pretty good, well large variety of class, although some spell later game were game breaking OP.

The FF12 remake is status is nebulous, read anything from it was a mistake to it being just a port on PSN. I never cared for 12, offline mmo rpg that play itself with very little character customization. All but two of the main character had a purpose in the game (including the main character) and most of the time you were just wandering around doing nothing.
belvadeer

PostPosted: Thu Aug 06, 2015 2:27 pm Reply with quote
meiam wrote:
I never cared for 12, offline mmo rpg that play itself with very little character customization. All but two of the main character had a purpose in the game (including the main character) and most of the time you were just wandering around doing nothing.

I hear you. Even with Gambits shut off, it didn't play very well for me. I just couldn't get into it. I might have forgiven it if the playable cast had been more diverse in race, since you had five humans and one Viera, which was so dull and a massive waste of potential. It'd have been way more interesting to have a character from each of Ivalice's primary races: one human, one Moogle, one Bangaa, one Viera, one Nu Mou and one Seeq. I'd have gladly endured a crap battle system and poorly paced story for that kind of diversity alone.
AiddonValentine

PostPosted: Thu Aug 06, 2015 2:35 pm Reply with quote
Red Ash: This is getting more and more suspicious as time goes on.

FFXII: I find it funny how each time I examine this game I find something new that displays just how much of a failure it is at basic writing or game design. Like how I now realize that Ashe wasn't a character but a MacGuffin. Switch her with a suitcase and nothing about the plot changes in any meaningful way except we have one less angsty twit to suffer through. It's kinda like if Ovelia in FFT thought she was important. Or if Catiua in Tactics Ogre wasn't anywhere near as interesting.
NeoStrayCat

PostPosted: Thu Aug 06, 2015 4:28 pm Reply with quote
XBlaze: Lost Memories is also on the PS3 Todd, not just only the Vita, just a minor addition to add to the article, if possible.
falcon.punch

PostPosted: Thu Aug 06, 2015 5:33 pm Reply with quote
I just remembered that Langrisser game has 10 as a 4Gamer reader Score, bad game.

I want to play Xblaze Lost: Memories someday, as a fan of Blazblue, I quite Ignored Code: Embryo. (I adore the Opening of the second game!)

Is a shame for Red Ash's Kickstarter. But clearly people started to "distrust" (I don't know the correct word for this) for the Mighty No. 9 situation.
terminus24

PostPosted: Thu Aug 06, 2015 6:04 pm Reply with quote
I'd love for FFXII to have an HD version in the works. I really liked what I've played of it (about halfway through), but I haven't touched my PS2 much to finish it (or any other PS2 games I have) since I upgraded from a CRT to HDTV, since PS2 stuff just looks bad on it. I'd love an HD version so I can finish it.

Also looking forward to Xblaze, the first one was pretty good and helped flesh out the BB story quite a bit.
whiskeyii

PostPosted: Thu Aug 06, 2015 8:53 pm Reply with quote
I'm biased since XII was my first, but I liked the gameplay a lot, considering that I wasn't (and still aren't) big on turn-based stuff. The characters were mostly interesting, and I liked the political intrigue approach...until the story went off the rails. ^^;;;

Seriously praying for at least a digital release of the new Ace Attorney game. Dual Destinies seemed to get decent reviews, but I have no clue about the sales numbers. :/
BadNewsBlues

PostPosted: Thu Aug 06, 2015 11:30 pm Reply with quote
belvadeer wrote:

I hear you. Even with Gambits shut off, it didn't play very well for me. I just couldn't get into it. I might have forgiven it if the playable cast had been more diverse in race, since you had five humans and one Viera, which was so dull and a massive waste of potential. It'd have been way more interesting to have a character from each of Ivalice's primary races: one human, one Moogle, one Bangaa, one Viera, one Nu Mou and one Seeq. I'd have gladly endured a crap battle system and poorly paced story for that kind of diversity alone.

If some of the preceding and succeeding games were any indication they never had any intention of going down such a route.
belvadeer

PostPosted: Fri Aug 07, 2015 1:30 am Reply with quote
BadNewsBlues wrote:
If some of the preceding and succeeding games were any indication they never had any intention of going down such a route.

I'm not saying every FF has to have a diverse team full of humans and nonhumans, just that XII squandered a big chance to implement such a setup given Ivalice's numerous races and vast lore. Some of the games have had nonhuman allies (Red XIII, Kimahri, Mog, Umaro, Freya), which added some spice to an otherwise typically human cast, and that was acceptable to me because it showed a little diversity.

The Tactics and Tactics Advance games give you chances to build some pretty vast teams consisting of both humans and monsters (in the former), while obviously hinting at you to utilize every available race in the latter + its sequel for 100% quest completion. I try not to consider XI or XIV in this complaint because they're MMOs, and multiple race options are the standard for that genre.

The thing about using multiple races in RPGs is that it not only makes the cast more diverse, but it gives the player a chance to hear about what a member of each race would think or understand based on the situations they encounter in the story. It definitely adds punch, whereas seeing everything only from a human perspective is as predictable as it gets.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2