• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
INTEREST: The Idolm@ster's Yurina Hase Explains Why She Left Yukiho Role

Goto page 1, 2  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Lemonchest

PostPosted: Tue Nov 03, 2015 1:22 pm Reply with quote
Now if she'd only waited till 2012, AKB0048 would have taught her that death threats come from only the most passionate fans who she should try to be extra nice to instead of feeling threatened by.
VORTIA
Subscriber

PostPosted: Tue Nov 03, 2015 1:29 pm Reply with quote
Poor Hase. Being Yukiho is suffering. Crying or Very sad

Last edited by VORTIA on Tue Nov 03, 2015 3:53 pm; edited 1 time in total
View user's profile Send private message AIM Address Yahoo Messenger My Anime My Manga
kiminobokuwa

PostPosted: Tue Nov 03, 2015 1:31 pm Reply with quote
The idol industry is a brutal place to work. They seem to jot give a crap about who gets death threats. But, maybe every studio is different....i'm not saying the entire industry is bad but they could be better when it comes to protecting their idols.
Tenebrae

PostPosted: Tue Nov 03, 2015 1:58 pm Reply with quote
kiminobokuwa wrote:
i'm not saying the entire industry is bad

Oh, this has been discussed here before. The entire idol industry is a very, very, very bad place to work in.
Mr. Oshawott

PostPosted: Tue Nov 03, 2015 2:06 pm Reply with quote
It's disheartening that Ms. Hase-san had to abandon her persona of Yukiho Hagiwara as a result of some rabid troublemakers having some sort of beef with her. Sad I am satisfied that she enjoyed her time as Yukiho while it lasted. Here's hoping Azumi Asakura fares well as her new actress.
omoikane

PostPosted: Tue Nov 03, 2015 2:13 pm Reply with quote
kiminobokuwa wrote:
The idol industry is a brutal place to work. They seem to jot give a crap about who gets death threats. But, maybe every studio is different....i'm not saying the entire industry is bad but they could be better when it comes to protecting their idols.

It's a cultural thing, and it's not just an idol industry thing. Just like how women in video games or on the internet in general are harassed over all kinds of dumb things, celebs get it way worse, especially those who are really low on the totem pole (like your average seiyuu-idol). The funny thing is I think Hase's agency at the time tried to protected her by taking her out of a high profile work, but it must've been rough on her and added to her stress.

[I actually think this forum is a good example of how brutal and calloused people are when it comes down to these pervasive social problems, as if it is part of the problem rather than people who are truly concerned about the problem.]

That said, I think Yurishii is definitely doing something courageous to tell this story. In memory of Matsuki Miyu!
Hoppy800

PostPosted: Tue Nov 03, 2015 2:24 pm Reply with quote
There has to be something to be done about the rabid fans, they are becoming dangerous at least in this case the agency tried to protect her instead of being tyrants and not giving a crap but it didn't work too well.
CrowLia

PostPosted: Tue Nov 03, 2015 2:44 pm Reply with quote
^How did her agency protect her at all? When she started getting anxious and scared, all they did was try to scare her more with threats of being laid off, and instead of seeking for help or supporting her through the ordeal, they one-sidedly got her kicked out of the show, without even getting her approval for it, then left her to die, without any job to help support herself. Her agency pretty much abandoned her when they couldn't use her. How does that even remotely qualify as protecting?
Hameyadea

PostPosted: Tue Nov 03, 2015 2:46 pm Reply with quote
Usually those things happen is either the performer is involved in some scandal, or that (some portion of) the fans think that the performer is lousy/doing disservice to the character.

Generally, not an entire group of people is vocal, problem is that the small fraction that is vocal, is usually comprised from the crappy ones.
FrostyP_Makorin

PostPosted: Tue Nov 03, 2015 2:56 pm Reply with quote
Mr. Oshawott wrote:
It's disheartening that Ms. Hase-san had to abandon her persona of Yukiho Hagiwara as a result of some rabid troublemakers having some sort of beef with her. Sad I am satisfied that she enjoyed her time as Yukiho while it lasted. Here's hoping Azumi Asakura fares well as her new actress.

This happened 5 years ago, she chose not to talk about it until now.
Miporin

PostPosted: Tue Nov 03, 2015 4:14 pm Reply with quote
There are shitty fans everywhere, and it looks to me like the main difference in Japan is that agencies have a truly awful attitude to them--taking malicious rumours much too seriously, and not taking death threats (!) seriously enough.

Hase's agency all but destroyed her successful voice acting and singing career, and for no fault of hers. She should be angry at the people who were responsible, and maybe she is:
Quote:
No matter how poor I was, no matter how weak my body was, no matter how painful every day was

Yikes. As she said, though, none of this should take away from Asakura. (She's very memorable in Im@s 2 and the TV anime, even if she doesn't have Hase's singing talent.)
omoikane

PostPosted: Tue Nov 03, 2015 4:44 pm Reply with quote
CrowLia wrote:
^How did her agency protect her at all? When she started getting anxious and scared, all they did was try to scare her more with threats of being laid off, and instead of seeking for help or supporting her through the ordeal, they one-sidedly got her kicked out of the show, without even getting her approval for it, then left her to die, without any job to help support herself. Her agency pretty much abandoned her when they couldn't use her. How does that even remotely qualify as protecting?

You're not wrong actually. There's some backstory to Yurishii's troubled times around that point. She changed agency like 3 times in the span of 3 years and she went freelance soon after the role switch. I'm not sure if the article posted it correctly translated the original tweet.

In short, part of her problem during that time did come from the agency. Her manager's motives might not have been bad though.
Alabaster Spectrum

PostPosted: Tue Nov 03, 2015 11:57 pm Reply with quote
kiminobokuwa wrote:

On the surface it appears like pretty girls singing, smiling, laughing and dancing and sharing a good time with fans like some sort of folk party but the reality is behind pretty much every idol group is some greedy producer, sometimes the same ones like in the case of the 48's and the popular anime idols like u's (Love Live), iDOLM@STER and Star*Anis (Aikatsu) that are basically all produced by a guy named Yasuhi Akimoto or Lantis respectively who basically play the role of puppet master or Impressario and actually handles pretty much every aspect of an idol groups image, lyrics, choreography and generally lives since they're not allowed to break character similar to what it's like in Pro Wrestling or they could risk jeopardizing their careers and the others since everything relies on being idealized. Everything is micro managed from what they are allowed to say, wear, and act. It honestly sounds pretty horrible the more I learn about it and like the kind of experience that will fudge these girls up later in life all for lining some old businessmen's pockets by selling an ideal to people. I suppose it's better than selling drugs....maybe.

CrowLia wrote:

In Japan that's just standard business practice really. It's an extremely hierarchial society where idols really have no say since like someone above me put it they're pretty low down on the totem poll and just do what the producer says. They're there for their appearance and the persona they project and if they can't do that anymore their very casually tossed aside and graduated for someone that can. Remember it's not actually about the talent so much as the image, idols aren't even expected to be particularly great at what they do to start either and fans are very much expected to cheer them on to get better so as long as they look the part they need there's always a replacement waiting in the wings.
CrowLia

PostPosted: Wed Nov 04, 2015 12:09 am Reply with quote
^What's your point? Yes, it's standard business practice, but that doesn't make it any less shitty and more importantly, it does not change the fact that the agency DID NOT protect her at all, contrary to what some other posters say. The agency just covered for their own asses and disposed of her as if he were trash when she was being harrassed and scared.
mewpudding101
Industry Insider

PostPosted: Wed Nov 04, 2015 12:47 am Reply with quote
Yeah, as a translator and someone who works in the anime/game/acting industry, I can say that while what they did is semi-normal, it was a terrible move. She was being stalked, and they sacrificed their talent to protect themselves. She even mentioned how her manager lied to her and did things without her knowledge. I have definitely heard of managers that are not good for the talent.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2