• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
The X Button - Eating Well

Goto page 1, 2  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Souther

PostPosted: Thu Nov 12, 2015 1:42 pm Reply with quote
The SFV Gamefaqs boards got quickly filled with complaints about the cuts/sexualisation and so on. I want the game to come out so I don't have to hear about that anymore and people can come up with more interesting things to complain about, like getting bodied by whoever ends up being top tier.
leafy sea dragon

PostPosted: Thu Nov 12, 2015 2:19 pm Reply with quote
My father hated Mystery Science Theater 3000 like nothing else. I never really figured out why, and I was afraid to ask him as the mere mention of the show's title would make him grumpy for hours. (He enjoyed these science fiction and horror B- and Z-movies unironically, so my best guess is that he really disliked hearing voices talking over and mocking these movies.)

Needless to say, he never mentioned the show's name himself. One time, it started showing on TV when I was little. I asked him what show this was. He replied, "This is the Sci-Fi Channel's schedule filler" and quickly changed the channel. I never learned what MST3K was until long afterwards.

I always thought that the show hit a snag and was canceled because of rights issues, that whoever owns the rights to these movies today became stricter or more demanding about allowing them to be depicted on MST3K. So it's not because of that?
Herald Of JOJO

PostPosted: Thu Nov 12, 2015 2:36 pm Reply with quote
Souther wrote:
The SFV Gamefaqs boards got quickly filled with complaints about the cuts/sexualisation and so on. I want the game to come out so I don't have to hear about that anymore and people can come up with more interesting things to complain about, like getting bodied by whoever ends up being top tier.

If, by a month after V's release, people are still butthurt about these changes, I'm just going to ask 'Why?' I get that it's censorship considering that they're editing out the "original" content over brief moments of sexuality but fudge. Articles about this shit everywhere on every website.

Hell, I understand the position that everyone seems to share on the matter which is basically 'release products as they were intended to be'. However in my opinion, these changes are so small, I would consider them insignificant to the actual game. I know and can understand why people are so vocal about stuff like this, but in this case, I don't know what good would come from keeping those moments the way they were other than perhaps, you'd get V as it was intended but even then...
leafy sea dragon

PostPosted: Thu Nov 12, 2015 2:49 pm Reply with quote
I've noticed it seems to be almost entirely about sexual content when this sort of butthurt happens. I personally would not be concerned about it one bit. Does it affect the gameplay at all? Of course not. (Unless there's something technical I don't know about.) But apparently, plenty of gamers are incredibly protective of their suggestive content (and this applies not just to video games, but any games oriented at men with graphics or artwork as such, like with Whoa Nellie! Big Juicy Melons--I'd show the complaints on Facebook about it, but they've vanished without a trace).

No one would bat an eye if a swear word was removed or a joint replaced with a cigarette. But when it's about boobs or exposure or, in this case, posturing, it's pre-orders canceled!
Souther

PostPosted: Thu Nov 12, 2015 2:56 pm Reply with quote
@Herald of JOJO: Basically, they blame the censorship on feminists and don't want to let them "win". On one side, you've got blah blah blah censorship, let's bombard Ono's twitter/boycott the game, it's all feminist's fault. On the other, it's blah blah blah, you're basement dwellers, neckbeards and so on. It's tiring. The way I see it, aside from beta testing, the game's not out yet and nobody's got much else to talk about until the next char reveal so they're harping on about this. When the game comes out, hardly anybody's gonna care.

Last edited by Souther on Thu Nov 12, 2015 3:52 pm; edited 3 times in total
belvadeer

PostPosted: Thu Nov 12, 2015 3:01 pm Reply with quote
leafy sea dragon wrote:
My father hated Mystery Science Theater 3000 like nothing else. I never really figured out why, and I was afraid to ask him as the mere mention of the show's title would make him grumpy for hours. (He enjoyed these science fiction and horror B- and Z-movies unironically, so my best guess is that he really disliked hearing voices talking over and mocking these movies.)

I'm not really a fan either, but I have a group of friends who are total geeks over it. I think I had a similar experience to your father. They were talking over a movie I wanted to watch years ago on Sci-Fi Channel (back when it was called that), but I found it quickly got annoying with their commentary. So I think that was when I developed my dislike for it.

Zodiac: Orcanon Odyssey: Dag is relevant to me. That is all for now. I wonder what kind of beastman he is though.

Project X Zone 2: I'm not really surprised at this announcement. This'll likely just add a little to the "they always exclude stuff overseas" complaint. It's not a big loss. I mean if you really want to play Legend of Valkyrie, you can still download Namco Museum Vol. 5 on PSN and try out the original game. Having the option to select Xiaomu instead of Valkyrie is just a novelty; she doesn't play any differently other than the fact she uses her guns to shoot spirit bullets while Valkyrie fires magic projectiles out of her sword.

7th Dragon III Code: VFD:

Quote:
7th Dragon does little to reverse anti-dragon biases promulgated by our modern media.

Probably a big reason why I was never that interested in the series. Enough with the outdated villainous dragon stereotype already. It's been unoriginal for too many years now.

God Eater Resurrection: It's such a darn shame. I would have liked to get this. It's so annoying that God Eater has failed to really garner interest here for whatever reason, especially when it's way more interesting than Monster Hunter. But as you stated:

Quote:
That, or Gods Eater Burst sold a lot worse than I've gathered.

^I've long begun to suspect that this is indeed the reason for lack of further installments getting localized. I bet there were some fools out there who said "It's a Monster Hunter ripoff!" when they saw it in stores and easily dismissed its existence.

Stella Glow: I think everyone interested should just get this. It's Imageepoch's swan song after all and it's not a bad game at all from what I've seen of the demo.

Last edited by belvadeer on Tue Dec 01, 2015 11:39 pm; edited 1 time in total
Herald Of JOJO

PostPosted: Thu Nov 12, 2015 3:04 pm Reply with quote
Believe me, leafy sea dragon, when I say that I think that people are this vocal when it comes to censorship in general. I think the last two "X Button"s mentioned censorship in specific games and those bits sparked so much discussion. I'm inclined to agree with those dudes but goddamn, do some of you guys have to complain about insignificant changes as well as threaten to cancel pre-orders for V over this stupid crap.

You're still getting Rainbow Mika. She still lunges her ass at opponents. You're still getting Cammy. She still wears a swimsuit of a military outfit.

As long as I get to play as those characters, those changes won't even matter. Don't know about the rest of you.

Edit: I sent out this reply way too late, Souther. Personally, I don't think it's arguments over feminism in games because those idiots, wherever they are, don't measure up to the majority of people that are complaining about this. It's just another thing that people have found and are ribbing Capcom on.
Souther

PostPosted: Thu Nov 12, 2015 3:15 pm Reply with quote
Yeah, people just using it to rib on Capcom and whatnot are probably the majority. Though the whole censorship/feminists/misogynist angle's definitely wormed its way in. IMO, this whole boycotting stuff's all talk. They'll buy it 'cause it's the new Street Fighter and if they want to keep up with the community, it's in their best interest to, because people will move on from SF4.
Herald Of JOJO

PostPosted: Thu Nov 12, 2015 3:29 pm Reply with quote
@Souther
Ooo. Well, you never know. There are still dudes out there playing Street Fighter 3: 3rd Strike. I think Ultra 4 would still be played by dudes who own a PS4 and remain at small tourneys or perhaps reemerge at EVO while V is still around. The last EVO tournament brought in Super Smash Bros. Wii U and Melee. I don't see any room for doubt. Very Happy
Souther

PostPosted: Thu Nov 12, 2015 3:43 pm Reply with quote
I like USFIV a lot, but I dunno if it's got the staying power. Third Strike and other older SF games offer a lot of dinstinguishable aspects between them, they play quite differently from each other. I feel SFV can comfortably replace SFIV. Then again, some people still play all sorts of old iterations of SF to this day and some other truly random fighting games out there LOL (game-acho's youtube channel being one example), so yeah.
Haterater

PostPosted: Thu Nov 12, 2015 3:55 pm Reply with quote
Appreciate Aksys bring over Moco Moco Friends. Not into the Pokemon spin-offs as much and I like the monster designs, so its on the top of my radar.
falcon.punch

PostPosted: Thu Nov 12, 2015 4:09 pm Reply with quote
Wow, SF fans in general in other forums are butthurt, this is not a Dead or Alive game.
wonderwomanhero

PostPosted: Thu Nov 12, 2015 4:12 pm Reply with quote
Adventures of Valkyrie getting cut....*sigh*

Its Yoko Takahashi and Wing Wanderer all over again. I wonder what their reasons are for cutting it
leafy sea dragon

PostPosted: Thu Nov 12, 2015 4:22 pm Reply with quote
Herald Of JOJO wrote:
Believe me, leafy sea dragon, when I say that I think that people are this vocal when it comes to censorship in general. I think the last two "X Button"s mentioned censorship in specific games and those bits sparked so much discussion. I'm inclined to agree with those dudes but goddamn, do some of you guys have to complain about insignificant changes as well as threaten to cancel pre-orders for V over this stupid crap.

You're still getting Rainbow Mika. She still lunges her ass at opponents. You're still getting Cammy. She still wears a swimsuit of a military outfit.

As long as I get to play as those characters, those changes won't even matter. Don't know about the rest of you.

Edit: I sent out this reply way too late, Souther. Personally, I don't think it's arguments over feminism in games because those idiots, wherever they are, don't measure up to the majority of people that are complaining about this. It's just another thing that people have found and are ribbing Capcom on.

Maybe it would've been better off, then, to just not say very much until the game is reasonably near completion and finalized. Or that the game even exists until it's at that state. If, in this case, the move was first introduced without the leg-splits, no one would've said anything.

I suspect most of the people who'll cancel their pre-orders will just get the game again. And most of the people who say they won't buy the game because of it weren't going to buy it in the first place if something this minor is the reason behind it.

Souther wrote:
I like USFIV a lot, but I dunno if it's got the staying power. Third Strike and other older SF games offer a lot of dinstinguishable aspects between them, they play quite differently from each other. I feel SFV can comfortably replace SFIV. Then again, some people still play all sorts of old iterations of SF to this day and some other truly random fighting games out there LOL (game-acho's youtube channel being one example), so yeah.

Yeah, the Southern Fried Game Room Expo this year had a tournament for Street Fighter I. As in the one with just Ryu and Ken.
belvadeer

PostPosted: Thu Nov 12, 2015 4:33 pm Reply with quote
wonderwomanhero wrote:
Adventures of Valkyrie getting cut....*sigh*

Its Yoko Takahashi and Wing Wanderer all over again. I wonder what their reasons are for cutting it

My guess is because Valkyrie is still not that well known here, despite her numerous cameos and the obvious references in localized Tales games. That, or maybe it's some programming problem.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2