• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Final Fantasy VII Remake's 1st Gameplay Teaser Streamed in English, Japanese

Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
AiddonValentine

PostPosted: Sat Dec 05, 2015 8:09 pm Reply with quote
I think someone forgot to tell Nomura that he was making Final Fantasy and not Kingdom Hearts. This isn't going to end well.
FenixFiesta

PostPosted: Sat Dec 05, 2015 8:16 pm Reply with quote
AiddonValentine wrote:
I think someone forgot to tell Nomura that he was making Final Fantasy and not Kingdom Hearts. This isn't going to end well.

If you are referring to the change in combat, gonna have to disagree, the era of ATB is something that is for handhelds or IOS, battles should POP and and look like ongoing fights especially when you have the gaming resources for it.
Megiddo

PostPosted: Sat Dec 05, 2015 8:17 pm Reply with quote
Ah, so it's not turn based then. Not sure if that was previously known, but it surprised me. Cut-scenes look nice. I'm not really a big FF VII fan, but if it eventually hits Steam I could easily see myself picking this up.
itachi06103570

PostPosted: Sat Dec 05, 2015 8:31 pm Reply with quote
My body just exploded from all of the awsomeness that I just saw. Square will take all of my money for this!!!!! Very Happy
v1cious

PostPosted: Sat Dec 05, 2015 8:37 pm Reply with quote
I love it! This is exactly what I was hoping for: A complete retool of the system without going entirely overboard. The original is one of my favorite games of all time (still have my launch day copy), but a combat system similar to XIII\XV is a perfect fit for this game.
phia_one

PostPosted: Sat Dec 05, 2015 8:40 pm Reply with quote
Looks awesome!
AiddonValentine

PostPosted: Sat Dec 05, 2015 8:42 pm Reply with quote
FenixFiesta wrote:

If you are referring to the change in combat, gonna have to disagree, the era of ATB is something that is for handhelds or IOS...

Aaaaaand gonna stop you right there. Why? Because last time I checked there was not some binding law that banned ATB or turn-based systems from consoles. Seriously, is there a GUN to developers' heads, because I severely doubt that.

Quote:
battles should POP and and look like ongoing fights especially when you have the gaming resources for it.

Again, why? Sure, it'll look cool the first few times but eventually you just tired of it and wish for a more straightforward affair that gets to the point. There's a term for what you're claiming they need to do: bragging. It's just self-aggrandizement that leads to shallow BS with no substance that ultimately detracts from the experience.

Last edited by AiddonValentine on Sat Dec 05, 2015 9:01 pm; edited 1 time in total
bleachj0j

PostPosted: Sat Dec 05, 2015 8:49 pm Reply with quote
FenixFiesta wrote:
AiddonValentine wrote:

If you are referring to the change in combat, gonna have to disagree, the era of ATB is something that is for handhelds or IOS, battles should POP and and look like ongoing fights especially when you have the gaming resources for it.

*cough* Persona *cough*
MonsterInaBox

PostPosted: Sat Dec 05, 2015 9:02 pm Reply with quote
I can't wait to be able to walk though the familiar areas of Midgar and others and be able to pan the camera around and take it all in! They should be early enough in production to take advantage of the extra CPU that was just unlocked on the PS4 too.
KennstarYusuke

PostPosted: Sat Dec 05, 2015 9:03 pm Reply with quote
I have such low expectations for this game. Square Enix are still obsessed with trying to make the characters look like real people, when the beauty of the original designs was in their simplicity and their stylisation. Not to mention the fact that the battle system looks absolutely awful. ATB worked fine, but no. Nomura and Co have got to have something that plays itself now.

The right time to have done this remake would have been 10-15 years, in the PS2 era. There, technology would've been just right. Good enough to make the entire game look like those beautiful FMVs from the original, which is the kind of remake I would have wanted, but not so good that Square Enix could attempt to make everything and everyone look like real people. As it stands it's clear this remake is being made for the Advent Children 'fans' who've never actually played the original game because the graphics are 'bad'.
Videogamep

PostPosted: Sat Dec 05, 2015 9:15 pm Reply with quote
KennstarYusuke wrote:
I have such low expectations for this game. Square Enix are still obsessed with trying to make the characters look like real people, when the beauty of the original designs was in their simplicity and their stylisation. Not to mention the fact that the battle system looks absolutely awful. ATB worked fine, but no. Nomura and Co have got to have something that plays itself now.

The right time to have done this remake would have been 10-15 years, in the PS2 era. There, technology would've been just right. Good enough to make the entire game look like those beautiful FMVs from the original, which is the kind of remake I would have wanted, but not so good that Square Enix could attempt to make everything and everyone look like real people. As it stands it's clear this remake is being made for the Advent Children 'fans' who've never actually played the original game because the graphics are 'bad'.

I've played the original game and the graphics were bad. The only reason they were so stylized then was because they didn't have the technology for anything better. If you don't like the remake because it's different, just play the original. If the remake was exactly like the original, there would be no point in having it in the first place. Besides, there's no point in complaining about a game that won't be out for at least a year.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
FenixFiesta

PostPosted: Sat Dec 05, 2015 9:16 pm Reply with quote
bleachj0j wrote:

*cough* Persona *cough*

...except that SMT style games have buffs/debuffs, elemental immunities and the occasional "insta mudo death" encounters.

There is also the nature that simply "painting over the old combat system" isn't necessarily the right idea, and even when a franchise DOES continue the combat system there usually are fundamental changes between iterations that eventually the previous versions feel more of a hassle than "fun" when a game can be filled with hundreds if not thousands of random encounters.

That is to say, even IF the remake was still ATB, the game system would be still be so different from the psx version of ff7 that it would have felt looked like a different combat else it would receive ire from contemporary player base.
Shadowrun20XX

PostPosted: Sat Dec 05, 2015 9:24 pm Reply with quote
Looks like FF15. SE might be packin it up sooner than later. I don't see a 60 hr remake. I can also guess we will get this before KH3 and FF15.

Expect fan backlash, and you know what these fans are like. Shocked
Megiddo

PostPosted: Sat Dec 05, 2015 9:27 pm Reply with quote
Hey now, if the fans are willing to embrace something like Advent Children, I really don't think Square has anything to worry when it comes to expectations of quality.
AiddonValentine

PostPosted: Sat Dec 05, 2015 9:33 pm Reply with quote
FenixFiesta wrote:

...except that SMT style games have buffs/debuffs, elemental immunities and the occasional "insta mudo death" encounters.

There is also the nature that simply "painting over the old combat system" isn't necessarily the right idea, and even when a franchise DOES continue the combat system there usually are fundamental changes between iterations that eventually the previous versions feel more of a hassle than "fun" when a game can be filled with hundreds if not thousands of random encounters.

That is to say, even IF the remake was still ATB, the game system would be still be so different from the psx version of ff7 that it would have felt looked like a different combat else it would receive ire from contemporary player base.

Except you just said the game needs to add hassle by being flashy...which has never, EVER worked for RPGs because eventually the brain gets numb and people get BORED of the flash due to all the encounters made over the course of the game. There's a reason games with flashier presentation or gameplay tend to be WAY shorter. Again, cool the first time but eventually you get bored and suddenly all those fancy animations (of which the time used for them could have been spent elsewhere) are just visual white noise as the numbers they represent are more important than how they're presented. Summons and the Limit Breaks were limited for that very reason in FFVII..

As for compare-contrast to the Persona titles, let's not pretend for one second FFVII (and the franchise in general) also didn't have the same broad RPG mainstays such as debuffs, elemental defenses, buffs, and instant death encounters. Heck, the Press Turn system in SMT III, which influenced the rest of the series and Persona, was clearly influenced by FF X's battle system. Except whereas Persona evolved to be more tactical and nuanced that requires smart planning, FF just became flashier but duller and more boring. It is funny how Square started stumbling and being looked at as over the hill around the same time Atlus started becoming more prominent in the gamersphere.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next
Page 1 of 3