• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
The X Button - Roundup Sides

Goto page 1, 2  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Dessa

PostPosted: Thu Dec 17, 2015 11:44 am Reply with quote
Honestly, it makes perfect sense why Alisha left, and, story-wise, it would've made less sense for her to stay (also, most likely, spoiler[you would have died on the battlefield, supporting her and dealing with the malevolence]). That being said, from what I understand from my friend (I'm only about halfway through the game), spoiler[you get a Symphonia Zelos/Kratos-esque situation, where Rose may leave and you get Alisha back. I can still buy weapons for Alisha, after all.].
R. Kasahara

PostPosted: Thu Dec 17, 2015 12:35 pm Reply with quote
Didn't one of those Summon Night spinoffs come out for DS, not GBA?
meiam

PostPosted: Thu Dec 17, 2015 1:00 pm Reply with quote
If I recall correctly the whole Rose vs Alisha was a big problem because of the paying DLC, where costume were sold for a character that leave the party and if you wanted to get the full story of the leaving character you'd need to buy a day one DLC (Or maybe it was given for pre order?). If I do re call correctly, this is information that's missing from that section.
leatherhead333

PostPosted: Thu Dec 17, 2015 1:21 pm Reply with quote
Pretty much what meiam said. The fact they made people PAY to get a fuller story on Alisha is what pissed me and other people off. It was made free after this controversy but just recently it's gone back to being paid DLC and considering what you get in it I honestly don't think it's worth the money. You'll just end up spending over half your time in a confusing/BS final dungeon with 12 floors (which exceeds ALL all other dungeons btw) with very little dialogue to go off of until the final fight.
Also receiving completely out of character Rose because you know............forced character development and all that.

In the end though I'd say this situation was more likely a result of development issues than the Tales series trying to throw a curveball. Much like the first Tales of Xillia, Zestiria was rushed to meet it's deadline and it's clear to me that the game was possibly going to implement a choice between which character you traveled with.

During the late phases of the game there are 3 quests you can chose to take on though the order didn't matter.

One is to help Alisha and another is to help Rose (the last one is to help Sergei). This feels to me like it was a sign there WAS originally an attempt at a choice system similar to Tales of XIllia 2 (expect that choice system sucked) that might would allow you to choose or even switch freely between the two but was scraped in favor of this DLC crap.
Paul Soth

PostPosted: Thu Dec 17, 2015 1:21 pm Reply with quote
There was also the announcement of Akuma/Gouki making a cannon appearance in Tekken 7: Fated Retribution, revealing that he was the mystery figure from the very first Tekken 7 promos from June of 2014. What this means for the future of the excessively delayed Tekken x Street Fighter remains to be seen.
redcar

PostPosted: Thu Dec 17, 2015 1:33 pm Reply with quote
Quote:
Of course, they've skipped the Trails of Zero and Trails of Azure games for now, so you can complain about those if you must.

I AM COMPLAINING RAAAAAAGH

Seriously though, huge props to XSEED and everyone else involved for giving us as much as they already have. It's on the fans now to make it worth XSEED's time to bring over more.
Via_01

PostPosted: Thu Dec 17, 2015 5:00 pm Reply with quote
R. Kasahara wrote:
Didn't one of those Summon Night spinoffs come out for DS, not GBA?

Yup, we got Summon Night: Twin Age for the DS as well as the other two. I remember liking it well enough, though there wasn't really a lot of replay value other than seeing a slightly altered ending, so I just went through it once.

XSEED is doing a good job with the Legend of Heroes series. It seems that Trails in the Sky: 2nd chapter is doing well enough on Steam, so hopefully if this one gets them enough money we'll finally see that 3rd part of Trails in the Sky I've heard so much about.
Hoppy800

PostPosted: Thu Dec 17, 2015 5:17 pm Reply with quote
I can't wait for Summon Night 6, especially with Yui Ogura in the main voice cast and singing the OP.

I can't wait until I get to play Gundam EXVS Force next week, although it's no Full Boost, it's still looks to be fun times.
Primus

PostPosted: Thu Dec 17, 2015 7:34 pm Reply with quote
Via_01 wrote:
XSEED is doing a good job with the Legend of Heroes series. It seems that Trails in the Sky: 2nd chapter is doing well enough on Steam, so hopefully if this one gets them enough money we'll finally see that 3rd part of Trails in the Sky I've heard so much about.

Steamspy has SC at less than 10% of the sales of the first game. That's not good.
belvadeer

PostPosted: Thu Dec 17, 2015 10:12 pm Reply with quote
Smash Bros.: You should have seen the reactions on Nintendo Direct's livestream. Dear lord, you really can't please anyone among Smash fans. I simply downloaded Cloud later that day and that was it. On a positive side of things, the artwork for Bayonetta's inclusion is certainly the most stunning of the three new characters.

Summon Night 5: After some delays with the codes to download the digital version for free (for those of us who purchased the LE), I have to say I am loving this game. It also makes you wonder what we missed out on with the other numbered entries. It's truly a shame we never got to experience the full series, but this is certainly the most appreciable title of them, based on comparing the footage I've seen from the past games. It's a lot of fun and I highly recommend it to SRPG fans.

Alisha vs. Rose: I've already said my piece about this. There are worse things in the game to complain about honestly: a convoluted skill system, flipflop story, numerous plotholes, a cast that's not as developed as it could be and a complete waste of the dragon theme they made look so enticing in early trailers. But the Japanese fans are honestly the worst when it comes to fictional females, as they focus all their energy ranting about nothing important, not to mention taking it to extremes with blaming the character designer and threatening the voice actress with death. Again, Zestiria has more serious issues than the Alisha/Rose debacle (if you can really call it one).

In any case, I look forward to Berseria being a better Tales title. I don't think I can even stomach a second run of Zestiria at this point. I just want to finish the main story and the DLC chapter already.

Trails of Cold Steel: I haven't even finished my first run of Trails in the Sky SC yet, but at least the Legend of Heroes series is getting far better and far more professional treatment than the Gagharv trilogy did with its Babelfish translations. I'm looking forward to this title regardless. I'd better hurry up and get through the last two chapters of SC.

Last edited by belvadeer on Thu Dec 17, 2015 11:26 pm; edited 1 time in total
AiddonValentine

PostPosted: Thu Dec 17, 2015 10:23 pm Reply with quote
The trouble that the Smash community has with outrage over announcement is that they do it every freaking time like clockwork and thus it's now just become something that happens
Mr. Oshawott

PostPosted: Fri Dec 18, 2015 1:13 am Reply with quote
Yes, the feigned outrage from a good chunk of the Smash community occurs so abundantly it's becoming an expected reaction whenever any character they don't like appears. At least Bayonetta's appearance made the event an exciting experience.
leafy sea dragon

PostPosted: Fri Dec 18, 2015 2:50 am Reply with quote
Quote:
Things cooled down a little, but at this writing Devil's Third may be the most scarce game released to stores this year.

The most scarce video game of this year, I can see Devil's Third taking that title. Certainly not the rarest game if you count all games with a physical purchaseable release.

Mr. Oshawott wrote:
Yes, the feigned outrage from a good chunk of the Smash community occurs so abundantly it's becoming an expected reaction whenever any character they don't like appears. At least Bayonetta's appearance made the event an exciting experience.

Just as much comes from characters not making it in. For instance, the sheer salt going on at Squidboards regarding Inklings from Splatoon not making it in was so massive, you'd think Lot's wife was there.
TarsTarkas

PostPosted: Fri Dec 18, 2015 10:10 am Reply with quote
belvadeer wrote:
But the Japanese fans are honestly the worst when it comes to fictional females, as they focus all their energy ranting about nothing important,

Just because you don't care about it, doesn't mean for other people (like the Japanese) that it isn't an important issue. Personally, I think the avatars we use in games are important.
Stuart Smith

PostPosted: Fri Dec 18, 2015 11:52 am Reply with quote
I love Japanese game commercials, especially the ones with original animation. The ones for the Rockman.exe series were what introduced me to Janne Da Arc.

belvadeer wrote:
But the Japanese fans are honestly the worst when it comes to fictional females, as they focus all their energy ranting about nothing important

I'd rather have arguments over waifus than arguments over censorship and sexism, myself.

-Stuart Smith
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2