• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Top-Selling Animation in Japan on Blu-ray Disc/DVD by Series: 2015

Goto page 1, 2  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
SquadmemberRitsu

PostPosted: Tue Dec 29, 2015 11:07 am Reply with quote
Considering the Love Live Movie sold almost as well as the number 2 spot in one week, it seems like these stats are already out of date.
Keichitsu0305

PostPosted: Tue Dec 29, 2015 11:20 am Reply with quote
Heck yeah! Congratulations to Shirobako, JBA, BBB, and the many sports anime for earning so much. Super surprised UtaPri beat out a Monogatari show; the otome fans are quite tenacious. Perhaps P.A. Works might consider a second season for Shirobako.
Pokenatic

PostPosted: Tue Dec 29, 2015 11:26 am Reply with quote
Man, it's crazy to think that Love Live! still managed to place so high up even though only one volume from the initial run came out in that time and the only other volume that probably had any significant impact to that number was volume six.

So are the Cinderella Girls numbers deflated because the Gravure for You! bundles aren't getting counted or something? I legitimately thought it had a steep drop off in sales from THE iDOLM@STER until I saw anisomething.com having a much higher average copies sold per volume number.

keichitsu0305 wrote:
Super surprised UtaPri beat out a Monogatari show;

To be fair, UtaPri has been pulling in crazy numbers since the second season (not that the first season didn't sell that much, it just only sold about half of what the second and third season did). That, and it had 6 volumes compared to Tsukimonogatari's two since Shaft seems to be doing the rest of the series by book now instead of by TV season.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
killjoy_the

PostPosted: Tue Dec 29, 2015 11:36 am Reply with quote
keichitsu0305 wrote:
Super surprised UtaPri beat out a Monogatari show; the otome fans are quite tenacious.

Tsuki only had two discs for sale, so its numbers seem lower than they actually are. Average-wise UtaPri does still outsell Tsuki but it's by less.
Hameyadea

PostPosted: Tue Dec 29, 2015 11:45 am Reply with quote
Shirobako is in the top 10 Very Happy
Keichitsu0305

PostPosted: Tue Dec 29, 2015 11:57 am Reply with quote
killjoy_the wrote:

Tsuki only had two discs for sale, so its numbers seem lower than they actually are. Average-wise UtaPri does still outsell Tsuki but it's by less.

Makes sense= more volumes more money. I actually might consider giving the Monogatari franchise another try. The prequel (?) film looks gorgeous but, depends if I can finish the other properties first. Need to catch up with UtaPri too.

I suppose One Punch Man will be considered as a 2016 series since the DVD/BD aren't finished yet. I'm sure it will perform well.

Ah~ I'm still super happy seeing Eternal Summer and Shirobako so high on the rank. ^^
bigivel

PostPosted: Tue Dec 29, 2015 12:50 pm Reply with quote
What does the numbers mean? Because I think is hard to believe that Kindaichi was able to sell 94k copies this year when it didn't appear in the ranking not even 1 time.
Ushio

PostPosted: Tue Dec 29, 2015 1:17 pm Reply with quote
bigivel wrote:
What does the numbers mean? Because I think is hard to believe that Kindaichi was able to sell 94k copies this year when it didn't appear in the ranking not even 1 time.

Has it even started to release on disc yet? season 2 only started in October and K Return of Kings is the only Fall show to have started releasing on disc that I know of that could feature on this list (by release date not sales for K it didn't sell that well).

Also why is THE IDOLM@STER Cinderella Girls not higher up? it sold well over 180,000 on Blu-Ray alone on the charts this year, Kekkai Sensen as well sold more than enough to get on this list.
bigivel

PostPosted: Tue Dec 29, 2015 1:20 pm Reply with quote
Just placing the home page of Oricon isn't enough to be the Source, please place the exact page where the information appears.
relyat08

PostPosted: Tue Dec 29, 2015 1:46 pm Reply with quote
Ergh. I hate lists like this. Goboiano did a similar one a few months ago about the lowest selling anime. It doesn't take into account the number of volumes for sale at all. Yeah, FSN only sold 76k copies, but there were only two box sets released, in comparison to Saekano directly below it, which had seven volumes. It's just a really meaningless kind of list if gross revenue isn't looked at.

Last edited by relyat08 on Tue Dec 29, 2015 1:48 pm; edited 2 times in total
bigivel

PostPosted: Tue Dec 29, 2015 2:01 pm Reply with quote
relyat08 wrote:
Ergh. I hate lists like this. Goboiano did a similar one a few months ago about the lowest selling anime. It doesn't take into account the number of volumes for sale at all. Yeah, FSN only sold 76k copies, but there were only two box sets released, in comparison to Saekano directly below it, which had seven volumes. It's just a really meaningless kind of list if gross revenue isn't looked at.

gross revenue -> How much the series earned.
copies sold -> Total series demand.
Copies sold/volumes -> Fans following the series.

just like copies sold don't tell how many volumes and the format each series is sold, the gross revenue doesn't tell how each series prizes their product nor how each product costs to make. For example: One Piece sold a ton more manga than Attack on Titan, though Attack on Titan volumes are more expensive and there is a limited edition that is way more expensive. Given that in gross revenue Attack on Titan earned more than One Piece, though One Piece was the most popular and followed by the public.

There is no "meaningless" about a just copies sold table, the problem is the incorrect interpretation of the data.
KH91

PostPosted: Tue Dec 29, 2015 3:51 pm Reply with quote
Love Live beats One Piece this time. The war continues. Wink
relyat08

PostPosted: Tue Dec 29, 2015 3:59 pm Reply with quote
bigivel wrote:
relyat08 wrote:

gross revenue -> How much the series earned.
copies sold -> Total series demand.
Copies sold/volumes -> Fans following the series.

just like copies sold don't tell how many volumes and the format each series is sold, the gross revenue doesn't tell how each series prizes their product nor how each product costs to make. For example: One Piece sold a ton more manga than Attack on Titan, though Attack on Titan volumes are more expensive and there is a limited edition that is way more expensive. Given that in gross revenue Attack on Titan earned more than One Piece, though One Piece was the most popular and followed by the public.

There is no "meaningless" about a just copies sold table, the problem is the incorrect interpretation of the data.

Sorry, but copies sold doesn't determine series demand in any meaningful way if it isn't comparable to other series due to a different release style.

The problem is that most people aren't looking at this as one small part of a math formula. If you come here to see the "Top Selling Animation in Japan on Blu-ray Disc/DVD", most people will expect to see a list of the most successful series by Blu-ray Disc/DVD sales. Judging by the comments in this thread and in other places that I've seen similar articles linked, that's exactly what people were looking for and thought they were seeing. Not a list of the total units moved.

And to further prove my point about how people look at lists like this, the Goboiano article that I mentioned in my first post was literally titled: Top 21 Anime That Failed To Make Money and the only criteria they used was total units moved based on a list by a site that I can't actually link apparently.
manapear

PostPosted: Tue Dec 29, 2015 6:59 pm Reply with quote
Yay~! Go Uta*Pri and Youkai Watch! The success is much deserved. Nice to see Free! relatively high on the list too. ^u^

I wonder how things will look next year~.
CrowLia

PostPosted: Tue Dec 29, 2015 7:20 pm Reply with quote
relyat08 wrote:

Sorry, but copies sold doesn't determine series demand in any meaningful way if it isn't comparable to other series due to a different release style.

The problem is that most people aren't looking at this as one small part of a math formula. If you come here to see the "Top Selling Animation in Japan on Blu-ray Disc/DVD", most people will expect to see a list of the most successful series by Blu-ray Disc/DVD sales. Judging by the comments in this thread and in other places that I've seen similar articles linked, that's exactly what people were looking for and thought they were seeing. Not a list of the total units moved.

And to further prove my point about how people look at lists like this, the Goboiano article that I mentioned in my first post was literally titled: Top 21 Anime That Failed To Make Money and the only criteria they used was total units moved based on a list by a site that I can't actually link apparently.

While I technically understand what you say, there is no denying that every single franchise in the list has been a big hit and a best-seller all around. From the top 5 UtaPri sold around 35K average, V1 alone broke the 60K mark, Yokai Watch is massive in Japan and Kurobas S3 is doing 15K average. I don't really think the list is being in any way deceitful in expressing which were the biggest sellers of the year
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2