• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
EP. REVIEW: Durarara!! ×2 The Third Arc

Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Angel M Cazares

PostPosted: Tue Jan 26, 2016 11:11 pm Reply with quote
Yes Durarara!! is back, but to me the first three episodes of Ketsu have been underwhelming. Episode 3 was a bit better, but I am upset that one of my favorite anime franchises continues to be plagued by crappy visuals and inconsistent writing.

I am of course hoping that things improve and that the conclusion will be satisfactory and does some justice to the much stronger season one. It is just that right now is hard to see myself buying those expensive Aniplex USA sets of a show that has given me few moments of joy.
Soulpiece

PostPosted: Tue Jan 26, 2016 11:48 pm Reply with quote
Um the guy who was with egor and shingen was mikage's brother Eijiro not Akabayashi
JacobC
ANN Contributor

PostPosted: Tue Jan 26, 2016 11:54 pm Reply with quote
Christopher Martinez wrote:
Um the guy who was with egor and shingen was mikage's brother Eijiro not Akabayashi

Ah, that explains it. I'll correct that, then. Thought that was really weird. All I could go on was the red hair and gold chain, though. OTL
Soulpiece

PostPosted: Tue Jan 26, 2016 11:58 pm Reply with quote
Really? I could tell it was him cause he was wearing shorts and also cause they did met once after shinra got beat up
ThatGuyWhoLikesThings

PostPosted: Wed Jan 27, 2016 12:10 am Reply with quote
I'm still not understanding the distaste for the new OP. Not that memorable compared to some of FLOW's other songs, but the active dislike of it confuses me.

It's nice to see the series is still managing to keep strong, and it's more than made up for the snoozefest that was Shou. But as excited as I am to see how Durarara wraps itself up (and I've already been spoiled to a small portion of it), I'd really like to know if Durarara SH will be adapted.

Oh yeah, I forgot that not many people know: Durarara has a still currently ongoing sequel. It started almost two years ago. Laughing
Soulpiece

PostPosted: Wed Jan 27, 2016 12:16 am Reply with quote
The reason people don't like the opening is that it doesn't represent what's about to happen now in ketsu, like how the op for ten gave a feeling of how mikado will change now and also like a setup for more dangerous stuff about to go down in ten. While this op feels upbeat for an story that's about to end. But atleast the ending gives off that feeling. Sorry if what I'm saying doesn't make sense to anyone
Hameyadea

PostPosted: Wed Jan 27, 2016 4:15 am Reply with quote
There's that piece of BGM that, when it starts playing towards the end of episode #3, gives me the chills Smile
killjoy_the

PostPosted: Wed Jan 27, 2016 5:23 am Reply with quote
Christopher Martinez wrote:
The reason people don't like the opening is that it doesn't represent what's about to happen now in ketsu, like how the op for ten gave a feeling of how mikado will change now and also like a setup for more dangerous stuff about to go down in ten. While this op feels upbeat for an story that's about to end. But atleast the ending gives off that feeling. Sorry if what I'm saying doesn't make sense to anyone

I definitely agree with you. Ketsu's OP is a disappointment especially coming after Ten's, which had such ominous animation/implications. The only things I can take out of this new OP is a possible Izaya/Shizuo confrontation, but that's kind of always been in every OP so far as well, and... rain, I guess?

Which reminds me, Shizuo is supposed to be in who's side right now? Guy's in jail and out of the Dollars, but nobody apparently knows that. Normally you'd think he's siding with Celty, but I can see him just rampaging/being set up to act in some way by Izaya or whomever. Next episode preview has a glimpse of him so maybe he'll do something.
JaggedAuthor

PostPosted: Wed Jan 27, 2016 9:20 am Reply with quote
Thanks for the helpful write-up! With so many stories unfolding (and a cour-long break between seasons), it's hard for me to keep things together.
Animechic420

PostPosted: Tue Feb 02, 2016 11:27 am Reply with quote
Hmm. Maybe I'll be able to understand the last 3 arcs better if I watch them in english. I still don't know why Mikado or any of the other characters are trying to accomplish. Confused

This is why I love Baccano! more. Razz
JaggedAuthor

PostPosted: Tue Feb 02, 2016 11:39 am Reply with quote
Realism isn't something I look for in this series, but Rokujo being completely unaffected by his rooftop fall was a bit much. (Unless it's been established - or even implied - that he has superpowers.)
killjoy_the

PostPosted: Tue Feb 02, 2016 12:27 pm Reply with quote
JaggedAuthor wrote:
Realism isn't something I look for in this series, but Rokujo being completely unaffected by his rooftop fall was a bit much. (Unless it's been established - or even implied - that he has superpowers.)

He was able to take a few of Shizuo's punches. The same Shizuo who is constantly destroying landscape with his fists. I wouldn't say superpowers, but that's how Narita writes his fighters - unbelievably strong even when nothing supernatural is involved.
vladibarrios95

PostPosted: Tue Feb 02, 2016 9:23 pm Reply with quote
It bothers me that the anime hasn’t explained (yet) the reason why Izaya wanted to hire Manami: He had proposed her to work with him as an assistant of Namie. “If you work close to me, you could get a chance to kill me” he had stated. So, Izaya wanted Manami as a way to always keep his guard up. Knowing that someone could make his life miserable, and/or kill him.
So, obviously he had predicted Manami would steal Celty’s head but he thought she would give it to Nebula, or Yagiri Pharmaceuticals or even Celty… he didn't think she would throw it and involve the entire city!
That’s why he started laughing. He was actually impressed by her because he loves when humans make action that he hadn't predicted before, even though he had lost one of his “trump cards” according to him.

Last edited by vladibarrios95 on Tue Feb 02, 2016 10:29 pm; edited 1 time in total
vladibarrios95

PostPosted: Tue Feb 02, 2016 9:55 pm Reply with quote
Regarding Kujiragi: She has already proved to be a monster, a Saika's wielder and even a villain. But before all of this, she is mainly a businesswoman (regardless if this is as a mere “secretary” or as the leader of the Yodogiri Jinnai organization). Yes, she has her own goals (which are shown later in the series) but her priorities were always her job, even after she got free of her organization.

The reason why she wants Celty’s head is because Seitarou Yagiri hired Yodogiri to get it. Like Seiji, he is also in love with the head (one of the reasons of why Seiji loves it too is because his uncle has influenced him). Nebula (the company where Shingen works) has completely absorbed Yagiri Pharmaceuticals mainly because they want Celty’s head too. Seitarou started to act on his own because he doesn’t want to give it to them. So actually, he is behind most of Kujiragi's actions in the series. Also, both had hired Adabashi to hurt Shinra to see how Celty would react (I remark this because this becomes important later).
JaggedAuthor

PostPosted: Wed Feb 03, 2016 2:03 am Reply with quote
killjoy_the wrote:
He was able to take a few of Shizuo's punches. The same Shizuo who is constantly destroying landscape with his fists. I wouldn't say superpowers, but that's how Narita writes his fighters - unbelievably strong even when nothing supernatural is involved.

That's a good point; I had actually forgotten about that. Still, if being hit by a car was enough to land Kadota in the hospital, I feel like falling off a building should have caused Rokujo some degree of distress.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next
Page 1 of 3