• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
PonyCan USA Announces Release Details for Garakowa Film

Goto page 1, 2  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Ali07

PostPosted: Sun Feb 07, 2016 6:10 am Reply with quote
Hmm, I'm wondering what the reception for this movie was like. I've seen very little, and it has been very mixed.

Mainly ask because, I do wonder how many people out there are willing to shell out $70 for this.
Zoneflare

PostPosted: Sun Feb 07, 2016 6:27 am Reply with quote
Ali07 wrote:
Hmm, I'm wondering what the reception for this movie was like. I've seen very little, and it has been very mixed.

Mainly ask because, I do wonder how many people out there are willing to shell out $70 for this.

I pre-ordered it. I enjoyed it even though I still believe that they should have made it at least 30mins longer.
relyat08

PostPosted: Sun Feb 07, 2016 10:38 am Reply with quote
I also have it pre-ordered, but much less for the actual story, and more for the content of the set and the production values of the movie. I love Ishihama's work and Kantoku is one of my favorite character designers, so I will rewatch the movie multiple times for those reasons alone. Oh AND Risa Taneda is one of my favorite seiyu, so... yeah, I'm getting some great music, lots of artwork by Kantoku, and I get to watch Ishihama's classy directing on my big screen. I'm expecting there to be some interviews in that 88 page booklet too, so this is worth it for me. Based solely on my opinion of the movies narrative... I wouldn't get it. But it has enough other perks that sold me.
Hoppy800

PostPosted: Sun Feb 07, 2016 11:07 am Reply with quote
The movie is ok, but $71 heck no, maybe $45-50.
Asrialys

PostPosted: Sun Feb 07, 2016 11:34 am Reply with quote
Guess Pony Canyon USA will be doing import editions now too. But I wonder if this means that this set will not have the oversized case like their domestic releases. It's frustrating how their sets won't fit on a standard shelf, but I prefer consistency. NIS America eventually switched to normal boxes, but they did keep the same packaging style for a while and still do for sequels.
Mr. Oshawott

PostPosted: Sun Feb 07, 2016 11:40 am Reply with quote
I've no doubt that Garakowa is an exciting film, but is it really worth the $72 price sticker that Pony Canyon slapped on it?
SouthPacific

PostPosted: Sun Feb 07, 2016 12:13 pm Reply with quote
POed it 3 weeks ago, the package looks extremely nice! Hope we get more imports like these Very Happy.

Mr. Oshawott wrote:
I've no doubt that Garakowa is an exciting film, but is it really worth the $72 price sticker that Pony Canyon slapped on it?

Prices are subjective. To me this is worth $72, to someone else it may not be.
unitmikey

PostPosted: Sun Feb 07, 2016 12:31 pm Reply with quote
*cries a little because of price*

And I actually thought the story was really good, albeit crammed into that minuscule running time.

Packaging looks really great though ! Smile -----> Sad
SpacemanHardy

PostPosted: Sun Feb 07, 2016 1:16 pm Reply with quote
So let me get this straight...

PonyCan's import release of Garakowa is $72 after discounts. The Garakowa movie itself, on the other hand, is only 67 minutes long....

In other words, Pony Canyon is charging you $1.07 *per minute* for a single movie.

Look, I don't care HOW good the film is, or how high the production values are, or how impressive the physical items are. I'm not paying OVER a dollar per minute for *any* movie, especially one that's barely over an hour and doesn't even have a dub. It could be the next Citizen Kane, for all I care, I still won't do it. That price is just beyond ridiculous. Confused
DuchessBianca

PostPosted: Sun Feb 07, 2016 1:40 pm Reply with quote
I must say that this style of packaging is far superior to the over-sized plastic cases in Ponycan's domestic releases, and this import edition is a really beautiful set but Ponycan only has one last chance to redeem themselves imo.

This is the 2nd title that last year they mentioned they'd like to give a dub to that's releasing sub only and no matter how beautiful the LE may be I'm not dropping that money for a sub only release but would have in a heartbeat if it was dubbed.

Slightly off topic but how Ponycan releases Sound Euphonium will determine if I ever care about the company again and imo will probably determine if they'll survive in the NA market, the only reason I can think of why all these titles are releasing before Euphonium even though Euphonium aired first is because they must be giving it a dub. Hopefully we see news on that soon and good news at that =/
shuusei

PostPosted: Sun Feb 07, 2016 1:48 pm Reply with quote
I refuse to support Ponycan until they rid themselves of those horrid oversized cases. Absolutely ridiculous looking.
Angel M Cazares

PostPosted: Sun Feb 07, 2016 5:01 pm Reply with quote
DuchessBianca wrote:
how Ponycan releases Sound Euphonium will determine if I ever care about the company again and imo will probably determine if they'll survive in the NA market

I am convinced of the same. Euphonium can seriously determine how viable PonyCan's business model is. I also want Euphonium to be dubbed, and I hope that there really are standard edition options this time around.
Blanchimont

PostPosted: Sun Feb 07, 2016 5:40 pm Reply with quote
SpacemanHardy wrote:

PonyCan's import release of Garakowa is $72 after discounts. The Garakowa movie itself, on the other hand, is only 67 minutes long....

In other words, Pony Canyon is charging you $1.07 *per minute* for a single movie.

In a way, when you think how much the limited editions of BDs of Anime series usually tend to go by, with only a few episodes per disc, this is about half as cheap based on a per minute rate...

Might not change the fact it's still expensive for what we've used to here in the West, but...
BigOnAnime
Encyclopedia Editor

PostPosted: Sun Feb 07, 2016 5:48 pm Reply with quote
Mr. Oshawott wrote:
You can find out yourself by trying it out on Crunchyroll.
http://www.crunchyroll.com/garakowa-restore-the-world-

Personally I feel it's worth it, even though the movie was decent at best. But then again, I'm a sucker for nicer releases such as this, and I'd like Ponycan USA to do more imports.
SpacemanHardy wrote:

Look, I don't care HOW good the film is, or how high the production values are, or how impressive the physical items are. I'm not paying OVER a dollar per minute for *any* movie, especially one that's barely over an hour and doesn't even have a dub. It could be the next Citizen Kane, for all I care, I still won't do it. That price is just beyond ridiculous. Confused
You do realize this is the Japanese release right? And Aniplex charged similar prices for the DVD LE's of the Garden of Sinners movies (They were originally sold individually) back in the day, and some of those movies are even shorter. Garakowa's BD PE is 8,500 yen MSRP, each DVD LE for each Garden of Sinners movies was 7,500-8,500 yen MSRP. And for the record, if one were to import the Blu-ray RE which is 5,800 yen MSRP from Amazon Japan, that comes down to $50 (With it being $40 before shipping), so there's your less than $1 a minute. (DVD RE's for Garden of Sinners ranged from 4,800-5,800 yen MSRP)

This is still better than what Aniplex has been doing with imports. The price to get it at Rightstuf vs. Amazon Japan is not a very significant difference (Though Anthem of the Heart isn't a big one, but also the special features have no subs again...). Right now with shipping it's $68 to import the import from Amazon Japan, though that's assuming the yen stays at the current rate.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
relyat08

PostPosted: Sun Feb 07, 2016 9:18 pm Reply with quote
Asrialys wrote:
Guess Pony Canyon USA will be doing import editions now too. But I wonder if this means that this set will not have the oversized case like their domestic releases.

I'm hoping they do more of these import editions. Being a movie, it's different than a series, obviously, but I would love to see them just put subs on their volume JP releases.

shuusei wrote:
I refuse to support Ponycan until they rid themselves of those horrid oversized cases. Absolutely ridiculous looking.

It's not an oversized case! So, good news shuusei, you can now support them!

SpacemanHardy wrote:

It's not about the run time. It's about everything else. And this set comes with a lot of impressive content.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2