• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Pokémon: XYZ Trailer Reveals Saturday Cartoon Network Premiere

Goto page 1, 2  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
ETX

PostPosted: Wed Feb 17, 2016 12:11 am Reply with quote
The dub of Pokemon has been atrociously handled for several years and it still continues to this day. Most recently they've had a new high-ranking staff member who quit just weeks after starting.

Anyone still watching Pokemon dubbed I strongly advise you to go and watch it subbed. You'll see a massive difference I'm sure.[/list]
smokeyjoey8

PostPosted: Wed Feb 17, 2016 12:17 am Reply with quote
ETX wrote:
The dub of Pokemon has been atrociously handled for several years and it still continues to this day. Most recently they've had a new high-ranking staff member who quit just weeks after starting.

Anyone still watching Pokemon dubbed I strongly advise you to go and watch it subbed. You'll see a massive difference I'm sure.[/list]

I'd say most of the people watching Pokemon don't care about subs or dubs, or dub quality or anything like that. They're kids who just want to see their favorite Pokemon on TV. Even in Japan Pokemon is silly shit designed to distract kids and sell toys. This isn't some serious show that's suffering because of excessive localization and cheap voice acting.
Gasero

PostPosted: Wed Feb 17, 2016 12:40 am Reply with quote
I haven't had problems with the sound of the pokemon English dub and have no knowledge of actors complaining. I assume many recording studios have similar problems.

I'm glad that Ash has finally met team flare and perhaps there will finally be a major recurring threat.
DuchessBianca

PostPosted: Wed Feb 17, 2016 1:32 am Reply with quote
Looking forward to it! I find the dub to be enjoyable so I'll continue to watch it every Saturday morning Anime smile Wish they'd move it about about an hour in the timeslot though.
Mr. Oshawott

PostPosted: Wed Feb 17, 2016 2:31 am Reply with quote
I found the preceding opening song of Pokémon XY to be pretty boring, but I did enjoy the English version. Here's hoping the show gets more dynamic with Team Flare in the spotlight. Smile
Lostlorn Forest

PostPosted: Wed Feb 17, 2016 2:50 am Reply with quote
ETX wrote:

Reminds me of a Pokebeach article I read recently complaining about the soundtrack of the Hoopa movie taking away from the original and just the general mediocre quality that's haunted the dub for a while now. I stopped watching in the middle of last year for other reasons but I feel as though the quality dimished as The Pokemon Company International shifted from care to cash. It's all pukey cutesy marketing and far less passion and adventure than it used to be. I still love the franchise obviously I just wish they would return a little more to their roots.
TheConqueror

PostPosted: Wed Feb 17, 2016 2:59 am Reply with quote
Finally I have been waiting for them to strat xyz.

I personally think that the dub is way superior than the sub, but that's just me.
AceLuffy4Ever

PostPosted: Wed Feb 17, 2016 3:54 am Reply with quote
Yeah i also feel that the dub is much better than the sub, when i am watching the sub it doesn't even feel like i am watching pokemon anymore,
AtoMan

PostPosted: Wed Feb 17, 2016 7:48 am Reply with quote
ETX wrote:

Who are you talking about? The only recent change I recall is that the replacement ADR Director for Tom Wayland was fired without any explanation, and that was after her directing was praised by both the cast and audience.

Of course, the music replacement went overboard, but at least it's miles better than the replacement music in DP.
TsukasaElkKite

PostPosted: Wed Feb 17, 2016 7:48 am Reply with quote
If that's gonna be the OP I am SERIOUSLY underwhelmed.
Henshinbeetle

PostPosted: Wed Feb 17, 2016 8:43 am Reply with quote
ETX wrote:

Have to admit; I watched a bit of ''Spell of the Unown'' last night and I was just blow away by the quality compared to the last English seasons and movies. Yes, I have stepped over on the sub train years ago during the Dp arc ... but I always kept looking out for the English movie releases but ugh...

Seriously though, If I hear: ''(Attack name) + Let's go!'' one more freaking time I will blow my mind!!. It became a drinking game in my circle of friends. I get you need to synchronize lip movement and I get you aim it towards a younger audience on a budget but for the love of Nayru use different wordings for once.

Go to Youtube, find a random post 4kids Gymbattle and count the number of times the phrase ''Lets go'' is used. It's just mindnumbing.
Gasero

PostPosted: Wed Feb 17, 2016 9:08 am Reply with quote
Henshinbeetle wrote:
Seriously though, If I hear: ''(Attack name) + Let's go!'' one more freaking time I will blow my mind!!. It became a drinking game in my circle of friends. I get you need to synchronize lip movement and I get you aim it towards a younger audience on a budget but for the love of Nayru use different wordings for once.

Go to Youtube, find a random post 4kids Gymbattle and count the number of times the phrase ''Lets go'' is used. It's just mindnumbing.

What is said in the Japanese dub that is so much better? I can't imagine the words being more inspiring in Japanese.
Henshinbeetle

PostPosted: Wed Feb 17, 2016 9:22 am Reply with quote
Gasero wrote:
Henshinbeetle wrote:

What is said in the Japanese dub that is so much better? I can't imagine the words being more inspiring in Japanese.

This isnt about it being inspiring or not though. This is about them forcing lipsynchronization by adding the same phrase over and over again.
That's why I ask for at least some variation, i'm not knocking the dub down because it's a dub, i'm knocking it down for being incredibly lazy.
FilthyCasual

PostPosted: Wed Feb 17, 2016 5:27 pm Reply with quote
Man, the music used for that trailer really, really sucked. Music licensing problems are the bane of any good PV.

As someone who used to watch the dub before he switched over to subs, dub Serena and Bonnie sound off to me, but I don't disdain the voice acting. My primary complaint is how most of the time dub episodes either can't or don't bother to use the stellar soundtrack that the subs can, whether those songs are original pieces like Hawlucha's theme or music straight from the games.

It's a large step down from an otherwise remarkably well-done anime.
Stuart Smith

PostPosted: Wed Feb 17, 2016 6:14 pm Reply with quote
Is it really a licensing issue? Beyond the dubbers just being cheap and not wanting to pay for it? Yokai Watch uses the original music. They even dubbed the first opening and ending using the original music. Granted the lyrics are terrible and not what the Japanese version was like but the fact they use the original tune puts them miles ahead of other anime dubs in my opinion.

I thought even fans of the dub hated it since the voice changes. But I guess the voices have been changed for so long the new generation of people watching it consider them nostalgic.

-Stuart Smith
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2