• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
The Mike Toole Show - The Glitter Force Awakens

Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
fuuma_monou

PostPosted: Sun Feb 21, 2016 2:09 pm Reply with quote
I'm reminded of Kodansha's "international" names for Magic Knight Rayearth:

Luce=Hikaru
Marina=Umi
Anemone=Fuu

Last edited by fuuma_monou on Sun Feb 21, 2016 2:25 pm; edited 1 time in total
Zin5ki

PostPosted: Sun Feb 21, 2016 2:17 pm Reply with quote
Mike Toole wrote:
Sailor Moon may have stalled in America, but toy deals helped resurrect it, and the sweet lure of toy and licensing deals drove Canadian producer Nelvana to pick up Card Captor Sakura and push it to TV in 2000, under the title Cardcaptors.

I do recall watching Cardcaptors on children's television at around that time. In spite of my naiveness I managed identified a certain otherness to it, sufficient to identify its origins at the time. It may well have been the fact that, during an episode in which the principle characters wore swimsuits, the animators depicted certain bodily features more than would have been the case for the likes of Arthur or Hey Arnold
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
marshall2000_uk

PostPosted: Sun Feb 21, 2016 2:51 pm Reply with quote
I used to think Netflix original was stating that they made it but now I know it just means they've exclusively licensesd it in quite a lot of cases.

Either way if they keep bringing hot shows then great, as for this show, well not really my cup of tea but I might have to flick it on now just out of curiosity.
Guile

PostPosted: Sun Feb 21, 2016 3:17 pm Reply with quote
Glitter Force could have been even worse if it aired on TV most likely. It seems like American censorship it's gotten even more stricter since the 90s. As bad as old dubs like One Piece and Sailor Moon were, they never hit the low current dubs like Yu-Gi-Oh Zexal/Arc-V and Danball Senki did with the pointless edits. Nudity is one thing but regular outfits seem to be a prkblem for TV these days. But Nami and Serena never suffered from edits like this.

Digital swimsuits used to be added into nudity scenes but even swimsuits are being censored now such as in Yokai Watch. Have standards become much more strict? Maybe Saban airdd Glitter Force online to avoid a new law that bans skirts.
TsukasaElkKite

PostPosted: Sun Feb 21, 2016 3:26 pm Reply with quote
It's so bad that it turns into something that's good.
xchampion

PostPosted: Sun Feb 21, 2016 3:43 pm Reply with quote
I can see why Netflix calls them Netflix Originals because they license them and only show them on Netflix. I still say that its bullshit. Especially when they call Knights of Sadonia and The Seven Deadly Sins Netflix Originals. It confuses people and makes them think Netflix created them which is not true. I can totally see why they do it though. Its smart marketing. When the casual fan strolls through the anime category on Netflix they will more likely watch a "Netflix Original" series than one that is not, so its really great thinking on Netflix parts.
Ashen Phoenix

PostPosted: Sun Feb 21, 2016 4:01 pm Reply with quote
I think on the whole the westernization is unnecessary in this day and age.

Edits and name-changes are one thing, but renaming the series is something I never minded.
I personally found Smile! Pretty Cure to be a grand example of Engrish; it's meant to be cute, fun, girly--so I don't take any issue with Glitter Force since it strikes a similar note.

There's a difference between not overloading kids with culture shock and treating them like they're stupid. Even growing up with Pokemon I thought it was weird they had triangle-shaped "jelly doughnuts" with entirely white dough. I think if doled out gently, any child can understand that "oh, these characters are from a different place. They do some different things than I do."
invalidname
Contributor

PostPosted: Sun Feb 21, 2016 4:03 pm Reply with quote
Being That Guy: On the background point that Lucasfilm sued over Battlestar Galactica: are you sure CBS was involved? The '78-79 show aired on ABC and was made by Universal (which was not yet the corporate parent of NBC).
Primus

PostPosted: Sun Feb 21, 2016 4:12 pm Reply with quote
Quote:
Around the same time Shinchan aired, when Toei couldn't find a buyer for their big-deal Pretty Cure magical girl series, they dubbed the first season themselves and managed to sell it to YTV in Canada—under the title Pretty Cure.

They found a buyer nearly 10 years ago to the day. I guess they just got cold feet.

I've seen some vitriol directed Glitter Force's way, but it seems softer than the old days. Maybe it's because less people care, or just a realization that after this many years no one else was going to bring Pretty Cure over.

Last edited by Primus on Sun Feb 21, 2016 4:14 pm; edited 1 time in total
ParaChomp

PostPosted: Sun Feb 21, 2016 4:14 pm Reply with quote
Guile wrote:
Wow, her hips are HUGE!

I don't see why westernization is necessary. Sure I fell for it as a kid but I adored the medium because it was different. With that in mind, go all out. Obviously North American standards should be considered but so should nationalities.
rizuchan

PostPosted: Sun Feb 21, 2016 4:19 pm Reply with quote
Ah man, Tokyo Pig! There's a show that needs a proper DVD release.

Mike kind of alluded to it but Tokyo Pig really was at the center of this weird turning point in TV anime where instead of trying to cover up everything Japanese, they played to the fact that this anime stuff was cool and mysterious and Japanese. Fox/ABC Family even had an Anime time slot where they would play Tokyo Pig and Digimon reruns with bits of Japanese culture trivia between commercial breaks (Did you know that people in Japan take a shower before they take a bath?? Crazy!)

But speaking of Digimon, it's the only one of those old bowdlerized anime shows I can think of that was 100% open about taking place in Japan. I mean, I knew it was Japanese, but I was quite amazed during the second half of season 1 when they go back to the real world and were like oh yeah BTW we're from Japan. It was kind of refreshing not being treated like an idiot that's supposed to believe they're in New York or something.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Angel M Cazares

PostPosted: Sun Feb 21, 2016 4:44 pm Reply with quote
I will be brief: I think it is bullshit that companies keep "westernizing" anime. I definitely don't want to go backwards and see more anime edited/censored.
Animegomaniac

PostPosted: Sun Feb 21, 2016 4:45 pm Reply with quote
Quote:
You don't need to westernize these shows as much as you used to, especially when part of your market is made up of increasingly influential streaming services with looser standards than broadcast TV.

So it still leaves the possibility of doing it because you want to do it? I can easily name more than 5 shows where I'd happily use a knife and pen to dress them up.... "editing" I think it's called, not sure if Japan is familiar to how it's "best" used. Localization? I'm all for it, especially if it gets Japanese producers off our backs. "Since our audience won't like it any more, you can do what you like with it." would be better than "Not until we've sucked our audience dry."

Editing for content is understandable, localizing for names is fine- you're already phrasing it in English, you may as well finish the job; It'll at least quiet the "You're mispronouncing the name" crowd.... by giving them all new/old things to complain about. I admit I'm not a fan of changing food and place names. Call a rice cracker in Osaka a rice cracker in Osaka, for crying out loud!

My favorite version of The early DBZ remains the Ocean version, losing a lot of things that should have been lost- thanks for all that pointless boring stuff, original series- but not everything that could have been lost- Kai, you done goofed by cutting all the Snake Way interludes. I think there's more than one reason why HFIL is still remembered to this day.

But it's not going to be thanks to Kai...
PurpleWarrior13

PostPosted: Sun Feb 21, 2016 4:51 pm Reply with quote
^ I also think the old Saban/Ocean dub of the early DBZ episodes is the best edit of those first two sagas. It's not as slow and boring as the uncut version, and not as sloppy as Kai. It's the perfect balance.

Mew Mew Power was a guilty pleasure for me when I was younger, but the dub was pretty terrible overall. The voice acting was fine enough, but the writing is as bad as 4Kids One Piece. Then it ended on a cliffhanger. I think digital edits are so easy now with digital technology, they edit almost everything they think of. That above edit of Zexal was weird and bizarre. The skirts in Sailor Moon are just as short. Giving them leggings or something would've probably been better. Those giant skirts look silly.

I'm not sure I'd compare Glitter Force to Robotech though. Carl Macek made it clear he wasn't making a kids show. When they reassembled it back in 2004, they put back in all the violence, sexuality, and nudity, as long as they didn't have to record new dialogue. They only took it out in the first place to get it in syndication. I'm watching it right now for the first time, and the dialogue and storyline are both a lot more mature than I was expecting. The Shadow Chronicles movie they made themselves also has some language and violence.
thecritter

PostPosted: Sun Feb 21, 2016 4:57 pm Reply with quote
The changing of Japanese names when into English actually predates Astro Boy by at least one year: Shoujou Shounen Sarutobi was changed into Magic Boy for the first widespread theater release of an anime movie in the US. There was actually another movie released the year before, but Magic Boy was the first one to be given more than a tiny release.

I saw it at a local drive-in theater in 1962 when I was 10 or 11, and it was my first introduction to anime. After nearly 54 years I'm a bit worn out on anime, but am now strongly into manga instead.

Last edited by thecritter on Sun Feb 21, 2016 5:07 pm; edited 1 time in total
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next
Page 1 of 7