• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Digital Manga Confirms Robot Discontinuation

Goto page 1, 2  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Dargonxtc

PostPosted: Sun Sep 16, 2007 1:21 pm Reply with quote
When they say "in licensing hell", most of the time doesn't that mean that they aren't willing to pay whatever fees that the Japanese want? If not, what does it usually mean?
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
NegativeZero

PostPosted: Sun Sep 16, 2007 1:27 pm Reply with quote
If it was in 'licensing hell' then they wouldn't have released three of them already.

I guess that the phrase is code for 'we can't afford it'. Which means that no one was buying, which is a shame because they're beautiful artbooks.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address MSN Messenger ICQ Number My Anime My Manga
Paploo

PostPosted: Sun Sep 16, 2007 2:17 pm Reply with quote
Though Udon apparently has taken over the license, so fans should support that.....
PurpleM

PostPosted: Sun Sep 16, 2007 2:23 pm Reply with quote
Paploo wrote:
Though Udon apparently has taken over the license, so fans should support that.....

No way! Really? That's great news. I hope Udon does as awesome of a job with it as DMP did. Anime smile
Aromatic Grass

PostPosted: Sun Sep 16, 2007 2:28 pm Reply with quote
I was worried there for a moment. I thought it said that there would be no more releases after volume three, meaning no more Murata (et al.) for me. Shocked Thank you, Udon.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
belisarius

PostPosted: Sun Sep 16, 2007 3:41 pm Reply with quote
I had actually submitted this as a question to Hey Answerman (what happened to Robot?) last week. I don't know if this news post was in any way motivated by that question, but I would like to thank ANN for being on top of it. Super Color Robot is, without question, my favorite "art book" even though it's sort of a manga/serial thing. I am desperately looking forward to new releases.
purple_monkey

PostPosted: Sun Sep 16, 2007 3:46 pm Reply with quote
They probably mean that in addition to getting Murata's consent and the original publisher that they needed to talk with all of the other mangakas to get that thing here since it's 'under direction' of Murata. It's like when you do any anthology, you need consent of all the authors. And when you reprint once the contract is up, you need them again. The licensing contract probably couldn't blanket guarantee consent. After all, these are big name mangaka. They probably would manage to hold on to a lot of autonomy when they sign contracts. Getting all that consent would be a licensing hell IMO.
CCSYueh

PostPosted: Sun Sep 16, 2007 4:27 pm Reply with quote
licensong hell is also that whole thing where Libre decided it didn't recognize the licenses of the prior publisher which held up several yaoi titles last year & this. DMP did seem as though it was working on this issue

Has Udon released anything here yet? I was looking in the encyclopedia to see if you all should be cheering or crying.
bleuster

PostPosted: Sun Sep 16, 2007 5:35 pm Reply with quote
Udon? The same group that did all those Street Fighters comics?
Well, I loved SF Legends: Sakura and they did publish a few SF manga titles.
If that's who we're talking about, I really don't know what to expect.

I thought DMP had close ties to Murata. At lest, it seemed so when Issac was still with them. Heck, I even remember talks of bringing futurhythm here.
Does DMP have the same problem of releasing Robot in France?

I'm glad someone picked up the ball, but I just hope they'll do as good as job as DMP did.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address
Aromatic Grass

PostPosted: Sun Sep 16, 2007 5:44 pm Reply with quote
bleuster wrote:
Heck, I even remember talks of bringing futurhythm here.

I give anything to get a copy of one of those. Anime hyper
Superflyz

PostPosted: Sun Sep 16, 2007 11:28 pm Reply with quote
Wow, that sucks big time.

Lol, actually I can't say much since all I have is the English Volume 1 and Japanese Volume 2, signed by Murata himself with a sketch of Claus from Last Exile smokin' a cig (he was my cashier at AX 2005, lol. Funny story if anyone's willing to read more...)
jgreen

PostPosted: Mon Sep 17, 2007 11:28 am Reply with quote
CCSYueh wrote:
Has Udon released anything here yet? I was looking in the encyclopedia to see if you all should be cheering or crying.

Udon is best known for releasing original comics based on Japanese video game properties, like Darkstalkers and Street Fighter II. As far as I know, this is their first translated manga, although they do apparently have a brand-new manhwa line (which is news to me, but pretty cool).

http://www.udoncomics.com/
angel_lover

PostPosted: Mon Sep 17, 2007 4:14 pm Reply with quote
I wonder if part of the problem here is eBay? A lot of Japanese copies are for sale there, usually with the auction saying something like "it's an art book so it doesn't matter that it's in Japanese", which isn't true at all. I'm sure a lot of people don't realise that several of the sections are stories continued from volume to volume so they just buy it there instead of the English version. Anyway, I'm glad that at least volume 4 is on its way soon.

Edit: Just tried to pre-order it from Amazon, and despite the fact that the product page says it's available for pre-order, when I try to order it says that it's no longer available for ordering Sad

Edit again: Panic over, tried ordering it with 1-click and that worked just fine Smile

Last edited by angel_lover on Mon Sep 17, 2007 4:25 pm; edited 3 times in total
CCSYueh

PostPosted: Mon Sep 17, 2007 4:18 pm Reply with quote
Thanks.
I checked the encyclopedia & it didn't seem to have any titles listed so I was wondering what the quality was going to be.

Although there are titles I'd love to see finish regardless of the print quality (Dark Edge, Twin Signal, Apocalypse Zero, 3X3 Eyes...I can't even blame 1 company for leaving me hanging)
littlegreenwolf

PostPosted: Mon Sep 17, 2007 5:35 pm Reply with quote
I wasn't so happy with the Robot series anyway seeing as I was just interested in buying them for Range Murata and Yoshitoshi Abe, and they didn't have that much in each. Hopefully this means they'll try getting more artbooks now of JUST Yoshitoshi Abe and maybe FINALLY a JUST Range Murata artbook. *crosses fingers because she really doesn't want to import certain artbooks for 60+ from Japan*
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2