• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Amazon Prime to Stream Kabaneri of the Iron Fortress Anime From Attack on Titan Team

Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
CrowLia

PostPosted: Mon Mar 14, 2016 1:51 am Reply with quote
You've got to be kidding me. Now it's not only gonna be Funimation, but also Amazon taking licenses for the Americas so they won't be available in my country? I'm not particularly hyped for this show -I'll check it out because it's noitaminA- but honestly, the more competition there is in the US, the suckier it gets for us down here Rolling Eyes
Koda89

PostPosted: Mon Mar 14, 2016 2:01 am Reply with quote
I don't have Amazon Prime and since I only stick to legal means, I won't be watching this. Sad

First noitaminA show I've missed since I started watching seasonal anime in 2013. Crying or Very sad

I really wanted to see if Wit's "Not Attack on Titan" could do AoT better than AoT did, though. Laughing
Videogamep

PostPosted: Mon Mar 14, 2016 2:02 am Reply with quote
CrowLia wrote:
You've got to be kidding me. Now it's not only gonna be Funimation, but also Amazon taking licenses for the Americas so they won't be available in my country? I'm not particularly hyped for this show -I'll check it out because it's noitaminA- but honestly, the more competition there is in the US, the suckier it gets for us down here Rolling Eyes

It said they have worldwide streaming rights, so there's a chance they'll stream it outside of the US.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Engineering Nerd

PostPosted: Mon Mar 14, 2016 2:02 am Reply with quote
Yeah....according to the tweet of Amazon official, the show will ONLY be available legally via Amazon Prime worldwide, especially North America region. So not only Funi, Crunchyroll, but Nico Nico Douga from Japan will also have to suck it.
Shirohae

PostPosted: Mon Mar 14, 2016 2:03 am Reply with quote
Quote:
The anime reunites director Tetsuro Araki and Wit Studio, the team responsible for Attack on Titan. Code Geass creator Ichiro Okouchi is writing the scripts. Haruhiko Mikimoto (Macross 7, Gunbuster) is designing the original characters and Hiroyuki Sawano (Attack on Titan, Aldnoah.Zero) is composing the music. The group EGOIST (Guilty Crown, Psycho-Pass, Project Itoh films) created the opening theme song "Kabaneri of the Iron Fortress" for the anime.

OMG I cannot wait for this anime!! Hiroyuki Sawano is my ALL time favorite composer!! Love Egoist too!!!! This is gonna be fantastic!!! Don't care about Amazon Prime lol
Hypeathon

PostPosted: Mon Mar 14, 2016 2:04 am Reply with quote
Huh? I mean, ...HUH?!
The Mad Manga Massacre

PostPosted: Mon Mar 14, 2016 2:15 am Reply with quote
Canada doesn't have Amazon Prime Instant Video. Still not the biggest middle finger we've gotten with regards to anime streaming (that honor belongs to Sailor Moon) but frack is this frustrating.
CrowLia

PostPosted: Mon Mar 14, 2016 2:33 am Reply with quote
Videogamep wrote:
CrowLia wrote:

It said they have worldwide streaming rights, so there's a chance they'll stream it outside of the US.

But Amazon Prime Video is not available worldwide, and definitely not in my country. I wish I understood why this bloody American companies insist on buying licenses for huge regions when they're only providing for a couple of countries at most.
brankoburcksen

PostPosted: Mon Mar 14, 2016 2:53 am Reply with quote
This announcement seems a bit strange. The source for the information is one German website and the personal twitter account of an Amazon executive.

Why would the official announcement of a streaming agreement only show up there? It would be like if Tom Pickett tweeted the newest simulcast pickup by Crunchyroll, but the website's own page or twitter handle did not.
BlueOla

PostPosted: Mon Mar 14, 2016 5:42 am Reply with quote
So, does this mean this won't be coming to DVD/BD? I can imagine Amazon going "but you have streaming, why need a physical copy?" ._.

Well, no matter. I hope some good fansub group picks this up because I'm expecting hard-burned Amazon fansubs to look horrendous. Amazon should stick to their own stuff instead of touching anime turf which they are absolutely not suited for.
Beatdigga

PostPosted: Mon Mar 14, 2016 6:21 am Reply with quote
Streaming services and their battles for content will only get fiercer from here on out.
AliceTheHare

PostPosted: Mon Mar 14, 2016 7:06 am Reply with quote
BlueOla wrote:
So, does this mean this won't be coming to DVD/BD? I can imagine Amazon going "but you have streaming, why need a physical copy?" ._.

Well, no matter. I hope some good fansub group picks this up because I'm expecting hard-burned Amazon fansubs to look horrendous. Amazon should stick to their own stuff instead of touching anime turf which they are absolutely not suited for.

Just because Amazon has the streaming rights does not mean it will never get a physical release; look at Knight of Sidonia for example. Netflix has the exclusive streaming rights for Sidonia, but Sentai picked up the physical distribution rights. But only time will tell if that will happen again, or if it was only a fluke.
mgosdin

PostPosted: Mon Mar 14, 2016 7:28 am Reply with quote
CrowLia wrote:
But Amazon Prime Video is not available worldwide, and definitely not in my country. I wish I understood why this bloody American companies insist on buying licenses for huge regions when they're only providing for a couple of countries at most.

It may be how the show was offered for license. Normally you would see one license for Japan and a gaggle of others for the various regions, but it's possible that the first offer was "Worldwide" and surprise! Amazon took it.

I've got Amazon Prime so for me here in the US it will be one to watch.

Mark Gosdin
G S Palmer

PostPosted: Mon Mar 14, 2016 7:31 am Reply with quote
Aw piss. And I wanted to watch this show too. Sad
It seems like anime is getting a bit too popular for its own (our rather our) good. Everybody is trying to get in on having their own "exclusive" series, which sucks, since more often than not, they aren't set up as well as the people who have been in it for a while.
lavmintrose

PostPosted: Mon Mar 14, 2016 7:56 am Reply with quote
I . . . really don't like Amazon, so I'll have to skip this one.

I actually didn't know Okouchi was writing it. The character designs are gross, though (Is it just me or are there no non-sports bishounen anime anymore? Shame.)

AoT team + Okouchi + Egoist . . . Guilty Crown? A-Guilty Titan?

Honestly, more and bigger companies licensing anime means more money for anime creators, which is good. I just don't like Amazon.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next
Page 1 of 3