• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
REVIEW: Mobile Suit Zeta Gundam - Part 2 (Blu-Ray)

Goto page 1, 2  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Scias

PostPosted: Wed Mar 16, 2016 11:19 am Reply with quote
Sorry, I hate to be that guy but "Haman especially. His theatricality brings about a ton of iconic scenes, most notably the Titans/Zeon/AEUG three-way standoff that literally takes place on a stage."

It's 'her' instead of 'his'

Either way, nice review. It is unfortunate that the original opening and ending credits could not have been included, but I personally really enjoy the ending song they put in instead. It has a very melancholy sound to it and it feels pretty fitting for a downer like Zeta Gundam.

The finale is probably still one of the best in Gundam, and at least one of the most memorable in anime.

Last edited by Scias on Wed Mar 16, 2016 11:50 am; edited 1 time in total
fuuma_monou

PostPosted: Wed Mar 16, 2016 11:47 am Reply with quote
Hias wrote:
The finale is probably still one of the best in Gundam, and at least one of the most memorable in anime.

Agreed. Hated how the Zeta movies tried to "fix" the TV series ending.
jr240483

PostPosted: Wed Mar 16, 2016 11:52 am Reply with quote
fuuma_monou wrote:
Hias wrote:

Agreed. Hated how the Zeta movies tried to "fix" the TV series ending.

that's because the japaneese fanbase didn't like the TV series ending. which is why they had the movies in the first place. and of course cause they kept with the TV series ending is probably why double zeta wasn't liked as much.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
Scias

PostPosted: Wed Mar 16, 2016 11:57 am Reply with quote
jr240483 wrote:

that's because the japaneese fanbase didn't like the TV series ending.

haha, what did they expect? The show is pretty much the "Empire Strikes Back" of UC Gundam. Anyone can tell early on that this show is going to be much darker and bleak in tone than 0079 was. A happier ending wouldn't have really fit, imo.
fuuma_monou

PostPosted: Wed Mar 16, 2016 11:59 am Reply with quote
Hias wrote:
jr240483 wrote:

haha, what did they expect? The show is pretty much the "Empire Strikes Back" of UC Gundam. Anyone can tell early on that this show is going to be much darker and bleak in tone than 0079 was. A happier ending wouldn't have really fit, imo.

So does that make Double Zeta the "Return of the Jedi"?
Scias

PostPosted: Wed Mar 16, 2016 12:02 pm Reply with quote
fuuma_monou wrote:

I guess it has to be to fit in with my analogy Very Happy
FackuIkari

PostPosted: Wed Mar 16, 2016 12:09 pm Reply with quote
fuuma_monou wrote:
Hias wrote:
jr240483 wrote:

And then Victory is The Phantom Menace
meiam

PostPosted: Wed Mar 16, 2016 1:02 pm Reply with quote
FackuIkari wrote:
fuuma_monou wrote:
Hias wrote:

Gundam has so many phatom menace...

IBO could be its force awaken.
Kicksville

PostPosted: Wed Mar 16, 2016 1:06 pm Reply with quote
I did think the many battles, if perhaps existing in part just to keep the kids glued to the screen for the robot action, did serve the purpose of making it apparent of how out of control the situation was becoming, and how in over their heads AEUG was getting even as they had become stronger. Also admittedly I am a kid inside who likes robot fights, so there's always that.

Z Gundam does feel like a culmination of a lot of the elements being honed by Tomino and staff in the previous years of after Gundam shows (Ideon, Xabungle, Dunbine, L-Gaim). I recall an Anipages article on the Dunbine OVA touching on the TV show, and how apparently Tomino regretted Dunbine's slow start - that's a show that ended up with a particularly chaotic, desperate finale, and it does seem like Tomino shows ever since are very heavy on the Stuff Happening, even moreso than before.

In any case, I'm glad to see the show once again easily available. I see ZZ Gundam and Gundam X are up for pre-order now (although with the same release date - what's up with that?). I am curious to see people's reactions to stuff like ZZ's Shangri-La and Moon Moon arcs, which I remember being buttered up for years as being the worst thing ever and then finding them to actually be quite entertaining (even if the former probably could've been an episode or two shorter).

Wondering how soon I'll have those ZZ, Victory, and G-Reco blu-rays together to make my special Gundam Shows I Love That Everyone Else Hates Shrine.

Last edited by Kicksville on Wed Mar 16, 2016 1:10 pm; edited 1 time in total
SilverTalon01

PostPosted: Wed Mar 16, 2016 1:07 pm Reply with quote
FackuIkari wrote:

Nailed it!

jr240483 wrote:
and of course cause they kept with the TV series ending is probably why double zeta wasn't liked as much.

I would have probably gone with Tomino doing a half assed job while he was fighting to get another project green lit.

That said, ZZ's ratings were still good. Even if not quite up to Z's, it was still better than everything up to SEED iirc.
pajmo9

PostPosted: Wed Mar 16, 2016 1:18 pm Reply with quote
Kicksville wrote:
I did think the many battles, if perhaps existing in part just to keep the kids glued to the screen for the robot action, did serve the purpose of making it apparent of how out of control the situation was becoming, and how in over their heads AEUG was getting even as they had become stronger. Also admittedly I am a kid inside who likes robot fights, so there's always that.

Z Gundam does feel like a culmination of a lot of the elements being honed by Tomino and staff in the previous years of after Gundam shows (Ideon, Xabungle, Dunbine, L-Gaim). I recall an Anipages article on the Dunbine OVA touching on the TV show, and how apparently Tomino regretted Dunbine's slow start - that's a show that ended up with a particularly chaotic, desperate finale, and it does seem like Tomino shows ever since are very heavy on the Stuff Happening, even moreso than before.

In any case, I'm glad to see the show once again easily available. I see ZZ Gundam and Gundam X are up for pre-order now (although with the same release date - what's up with that?). I am curious to see people's reactions to stuff like ZZ's Shangri-La and Moon Moon arcs, which I remember being buttered up for years as being the worst thing ever and then finding them to actually be quite entertaining (even if the former probably could've been an episode or two shorter).

Wondering how soon I'll have those ZZ, Victory, and G-Reco blu-rays together to make my special Gundam Shows I Love That Everyone Else Hates Shrine.

Holy cow! I agreed with pretty much every thing you said. That never happens.

I always thought the Moon Moon arc was interesting. It was like the predecessor to The Village. Laughing
amagee

PostPosted: Wed Mar 16, 2016 2:55 pm Reply with quote
Wonderful review. This really sums up the way I feel about Zeta, especially right at the end.

Also, if you may forgive a nitpick:

Quote:
It also made more sense for there to be child characters in 0079, since White Base was originally a civilian rescue ship.

More that it happened to be used for civilian rescue. White Base is a warship through and through; a pretty revolutionary one, at that. Sunrise folks talked about how modifications were made internally here and there to make it more livable during the war and that these changes are later reflected in ships like the Albion.
BadNewsBlues

PostPosted: Wed Mar 16, 2016 3:06 pm Reply with quote
Hias wrote:

haha, what did they expect? The show is pretty much the "Empire Strikes Back" of UC Gundam.

I don't recall any one dying or the hero getting psychologically traumatized after defeating the villain (ass pullingly enough) in Empire Strikes Back.

Last edited by BadNewsBlues on Wed Mar 16, 2016 5:00 pm; edited 1 time in total
H. Guderian

PostPosted: Wed Mar 16, 2016 3:06 pm Reply with quote
I would also think the sloppy areas of the 2nd half of Zeta would have been better received if they had been addressed better by the first half of ZZ Gundam. Problem is ZZ Gundam dumped as much of Zeta as it could as soon as possible, save for Bright and the Zeta, and Argama.

I still hold the entirety of Zeta as some of the best material in the franchise, though it becomes hard to defend it when a lot of the material hardly comes up later. Look at Unicorn, which has many visual and lore references to the original Gundam, but then also has numerous references to ZZ and CCA. Somehow Zeta exists in the middle, yet isn't talked about as much (in universe). One of the best works in Gundam, but with so much that gets dropped and unresolved. It is personal and yet impermanent.
Angel'sArcanum

PostPosted: Wed Mar 16, 2016 4:27 pm Reply with quote
Kicksville wrote:

*high fives* I love ZZ and G-Reco too, I think Victory is underrated as well. Victory>Zeta IMO.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2