• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
The List - 7 Weirdest Short Programs

Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
killjoy_the

PostPosted: Sat Apr 16, 2016 10:26 am Reply with quote
Koyomimonogatari should be added to the poll. Not that I think a lot of people other than me are going to vote for it, though.
Random 21

PostPosted: Sat Apr 16, 2016 10:28 am Reply with quote
Shorts really are great, I'm glad that recently there's been a number of great shorts getting attention, because they really do allow for some great series that otherwise wouldn't work. Sekko Boys was so good, since it allowed a (mostly) one-note joke to work without getting too stale. The current Space Patrol Luluco and Trigger's previous Inferno Cop allows for some great short surrealist comedy (Inferno Cop 2 needs to hurry up). My Neighbour Seki allowed for an episodic but consistently funny short that's still among my favorites. Makura no Danshi gave a dose of wtf potent enough to cause discomfort without actually causing mental injury. Pupa, er, actually no nevermind forget that one.

Special mention to Bikini Warriors too, which despite the name did actually have some solid RPG parody in there. I mean sure, the boob show to parody ratio was about 60% to 40% (Maybe even 70% to 30%?), but I still had a soft spot regardless.
Parse Error

PostPosted: Sat Apr 16, 2016 10:29 am Reply with quote
Pandora in the Crimson Shell is also missing from the poll. Crying or Very sad
7jaws7

PostPosted: Sat Apr 16, 2016 10:38 am Reply with quote
Am I the only one who voted HaruChika? I guess I'll find out next week lol
vonPeterhof

PostPosted: Sat Apr 16, 2016 10:45 am Reply with quote
On the subject of shorts, She and Her Cat -Everything Flows-, Tabi Machi Late Show and Teekyū 7 are also missing from the poll.
Arale Kurashiki

PostPosted: Sat Apr 16, 2016 10:59 am Reply with quote
Maybe it was supposed to only be recent shows, but there are WAY weirder short anime series. Popee the Performer comes to mind.
Hameyadea

PostPosted: Sat Apr 16, 2016 10:59 am Reply with quote
Good to see that Sekkō Boys is on the List, although I wouldn't mind to see Mahō Shōjo Nante Mō ī Desu Kara. there, too.

vonPeterhof wrote:
On the subject of shorts, She and Her Cat -Everything Flows-, Tabi Machi Late Show and Teekyū 7 are also missing from the poll.

+1
WingKing

PostPosted: Sat Apr 16, 2016 11:01 am Reply with quote
Random 21 wrote:
Special mention to Bikini Warriors too, which despite the name did actually have some solid RPG parody in there. I mean sure, the boob show to parody ratio was about 60% to 40% (Maybe even 70% to 30%?), but I still had a soft spot regardless.

True. It wasn't a great show, but it did have its moments - my favorite being the third episode where they're ransacking the entire village for money and items and all of the residents blithely ignore it...until one of them steals the little kid's piggy bank too.
Hiroki not Takuya

PostPosted: Sat Apr 16, 2016 11:02 am Reply with quote
Now I know where the Space Patrol Commander comes from in "Luluco". Hurray for Sekko Boys and I would have counted Tabi Machi Late Show as one of the most satisfying last season if it had been listed...

Last edited by Hiroki not Takuya on Sat Apr 16, 2016 11:05 am; edited 1 time in total
MarshalBanana

PostPosted: Sat Apr 16, 2016 11:03 am Reply with quote
The Eternal Family was pretty weird as well.
AnimusPrime

PostPosted: Sat Apr 16, 2016 11:16 am Reply with quote
As far as weird shorts go, consider "Oruchuban Ebichu" by Gainax. Ebichu is a talking hamster who cleans up after her owner, a 25-year-old working girl with a loser boyfriend. They have lots of sex. The whole thing is hilarious, more or less X-rated but very crudely animated.
Takamachi Ryoko

PostPosted: Sat Apr 16, 2016 11:38 am Reply with quote
I feel like Ninja Slayer should be added on the list, even though the show is 15 minutes per episode that's longer than usual; seeing the explosion used in each episode makes me think that it was directed by a Japanese Michael Bay. This season Patrol something is also weird as heck.

My votes for Showa, Konosuba and GATE 2, though I also enjoyed Grimgar, HaruChika, Schwarzesmarken and last episodes of God Eater
Angel M Cazares

PostPosted: Sat Apr 16, 2016 12:48 pm Reply with quote
I really like the new poll. I voted for ERASED, Grimgar of Fantasy and Ash and my candidate for anime of the year in Shōwa Genroku Rakugo Shinjū.

7jaws7 wrote:
Am I the only one who voted HaruChika?

I found it quite satisfying and enjoyable too.
Nephry

PostPosted: Sat Apr 16, 2016 1:01 pm Reply with quote
Slightly disappointed that Strange+ isn't on here...that sure was a weird one (in a good way).
Emerje

PostPosted: Sat Apr 16, 2016 1:15 pm Reply with quote
vonPeterhof wrote:

I wonder if She and Her Cat running in March makes it closer to a spring title? No idea why the other two would have been skipped.

Emerje
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next
Page 1 of 3