• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
The Real Legends of Magi: The Kingdom of Magic

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
zrnzle500

PostPosted: Fri Apr 22, 2016 11:01 am Reply with quote
Great article. It was very informative. Just one thing I wanted to point out. At one point you referred to the Fanalis as Falalis. Also I don't know if Fanalians is ok or not.
Eddy564

PostPosted: Fri Apr 22, 2016 2:45 pm Reply with quote
Magi is definitely an underrated shounen title. It's probably one of the better shounen titles to come out of this newer batch. The quality has been pretty consistent from its inception and it manages to subvert cliches pretty well. I love Ohtaka and seeing her get inspiration from various cultures and texts make Magi in itself such a multifaceted manga. Many of the issues in the series directly parallel to what's going on in real life which increases the accessibility.
belvadeer

PostPosted: Fri Apr 22, 2016 3:48 pm Reply with quote
Magi is especially awesome if you know the tales of Aladdin, Alibaba and Sinbad. I'm not 100% versed in them, but I am quite familiar with a bulk of the stories. Disney's Aladdin was an amazing piece of work, but anyone who knows One Thousand and One Nights knows Disney took the usual liberties with making it child-safe (like they did with all the original tales, though they certainly deserve the praise they got for how they handled Beauty and the Beast). Considering the original concept of Princess Jasmine, Buddir al Buddoor, was quite sexual in the story...yeah.

Could you imagine if Magi was in Kingdom Hearts instead of the Disney version of Aladdin? It would be epic. XD
kgw

PostPosted: Fri Apr 22, 2016 4:51 pm Reply with quote
I like Magi because, for once, instead of looking at North European or Chinese / Japanese mythologies (seriously, how many trolls, elves, ninjas, or dragons can we have?), it is focusing in the Arabic / Middle Eastern ones. Alibaba, Aladdin... it's an interesting change of pace.
VoidWitch

PostPosted: Sat Apr 23, 2016 6:04 am Reply with quote
I love Magi <3 Thank you for the article Rebecca!
Etrien

PostPosted: Sat Apr 23, 2016 9:57 pm Reply with quote
Interesting read-up!

There's at least one more major work that Magi pulls from that I didn't see mentioned in the article - The Lesser Key of Solomon. The djinn in Magi are directly named after King Solomon's 72 demons from the Ars Goetia, which, to the best of my knowledge, were indeed djinn in the Islamic interpretation. (And the in-story connection to Solomon seems to be not incidental.)

Actually, Magi's use of the Key of Solomon was one of the things that first piqued my interest in it. (The fact that they were mixing that lore with others, such as Aladdin.)

Related to both that and something said in the article... (Season 2 Anime Spoilers) spoiler[I don't know anything about Magi beyond the two seasons of anime (and don't wish to know; I might pick up the manga), but it definitely gave me the impression that Sinbad was being set up as a potential final Big Bad for the series. Aside from the obvious - absurdly overpowered, collection of superhuman generals, large collection of djinn - he's also in possession of the Ars Goetia's numero uno demon/djinn, Ba'al, which I would've expected to be reserved for the Big Bad inherently.)

I'd thoroughly enjoy a subversion of this expectation, but that's the general feeling the anime left me with. ]
GamerTimeUSA

PostPosted: Sun Apr 24, 2016 11:20 pm Reply with quote
Magi is super underrated!! The latest chapter are so good!!!
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1