• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Funimation Reveals Broadcast Dub Cast for Endride Anime

Goto page 1, 2  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
rinkwolf10

PostPosted: Sat May 14, 2016 11:20 pm Reply with quote
Is this show any good. I'm not keeping up with this season's shows except Re:Zero. Man do I wish funimation got Re:Zero and broadcast dubbed it.
Gemnist

PostPosted: Sat May 14, 2016 11:48 pm Reply with quote
I've heard this show is utterly terrible. But I'm willing to watch the preview if it has both Aaron Dismuke AND Ian Sinclair (though I completely fooled myself into thinking that every buddy anime dubbed by Funimation would have Micah Solusod and Justin Briner as the leads).
CrowLia

PostPosted: Sun May 15, 2016 12:31 am Reply with quote
Is anyone actually watching this show? I couldn't bear to go further than episode 1, it was almost agressively boring and generic. It feels like Funi's throwing money to the void with doing these broadcast dubs for stuff that no one cares about. I'm not their target audience by any means (region blocked, and I never watch dubs anyway), but I think it'd be a lot smarter to gouge the interest in their new shows before they start wasting money dubbing them, like dunno, track the amount of viewers on the first two episodes or something like that.
FtKaru

PostPosted: Sun May 15, 2016 12:38 am Reply with quote
Hasn't Endride been kind of a disaster? The nickname "End this ride" and the abysmal preorder rate lead me to believe so, but I also heard it was basically an ad for something else (maybe an upcoming mobage)?

The first episode made me think nothing of it other than that it was boring, but I haven't heard a single good thing about it from anyone actually watching it still, which is practically no one.
SquadmemberRitsu

PostPosted: Sun May 15, 2016 12:48 am Reply with quote
You know I would say that this highlights a clear problem in Funimation's 'Dub first, read the streaming numbers later' approach but... well, just look at the key art! Does this seriously look like the kind of show that are going to get people watching? This show had 'flop' written all over it. This is one of those occasions where you'd be justified in judging the book by its cover.

I mean It's not entirely surprising given that they dubbed stuff like Sky Wizards Academy and Ultimate Otaku Teacher which no one watched or cared about. But Endride's reception is even more apathetic.
Fenrin

PostPosted: Sun May 15, 2016 1:04 am Reply with quote
I've watched like 5 episodes and it's so horrible that it's hilarious, the main characters are so childish it's adorable. I'm pretty confident it's geared towards children at this point. But the opening is surprisingly one of my favorites this season lol. I cannot comprehend why they are wasting their time dubbing this.
Swiftyy

PostPosted: Sun May 15, 2016 1:42 am Reply with quote
I bet FUNi is regretting announcing the broadcast dub for this show before it even started airing. What's even worse for them is that this is supposed to have 24 episodes.

Psst, Hey FUNi, next time you should probably wait until after shows begin airing before you decide whether or not you'll spend money on dubbing them.
Koda89

PostPosted: Sun May 15, 2016 3:11 am Reply with quote
Swiftyy wrote:
I bet FUNi is regretting announcing the broadcast dub for this show before it even started airing. What's even worse for them is that this is supposed to have 24 episodes.

Psst, Hey FUNi, next time you should probably wait until after shows begin airing before you decide whether or not you'll spend money on dubbing them.

I don't know if it really is the case or not, but it could be something as simple as they were contractually obligated to do one if they wanted the rights to it in the first place. Granted this is just pure speculation, but we really don't know what the conditions of the deals FUNi makes for many of their shows, but considering how they often end up broadcast dubbing at least one of their crap shows each season nowadays, I would not at all be shocked if they had to agree to broadcast dubbing them as part of their licensing agreements. You know, a more modern version of the practice back in the day where publishers had to take on crappy shows as part of a bundle deal to get a highly desirable show.
NearEasternerJ1

PostPosted: Sun May 15, 2016 7:57 am Reply with quote
CrowLia wrote:
(region blocked, and I never watch dubs anyway).

Your location and statement double-disqualified you from making an opinion.
Fenrin

PostPosted: Sun May 15, 2016 8:05 am Reply with quote
NearEasternerJ1 wrote:

Your location and statement double-disqualified you from making an opinion.

I disagree, I think their ideas are valid and worth mentioning. They didn't say not to dub anything, but that Funi really SHOULD monitor things like viewer interest when considering dubbing, if this wasn't contractually obligated. And you don't have to watch dubs to know that this is a bad deal, with all the hate going around for this show.
xyz

PostPosted: Sun May 15, 2016 9:28 am Reply with quote
Yes, this show is ridiculously horrible (like Mayoiga.) I hope they pick up Zero. I so want a blu ray set of that.
Angel M Cazares

PostPosted: Sun May 15, 2016 10:38 am Reply with quote
My explanation of why Funimation is dubbing crap like Endride is that they must be making tons of money with their simulcast dubs. I don't agree with dubbing undeserving shows, but perhaps Funimation will sooner than later recoup the investment.

Koda89 wrote:
I don't know if it really is the case or not, but it could be something as simple as they were contractually obligated to do one if they wanted the rights to it in the first place...You know, a more modern version of the practice back in the day where publishers had to take on crappy shows as part of a bundle deal to get a highly desirable show.

From what I have read bundles are still very much a part of licensing, but doing a dub as part of a licensing deal seems unlikely. I know that Pied Piper had to do a dub to get Skip Beat!, but that whole affair seemed weird and unusual to me.
getchman
Space Cowboy

PostPosted: Sun May 15, 2016 11:15 am Reply with quote
I think this is really simple, everything deserves a fair chance. maybe this will work out, maybe it wont, I have no idea any more. six years ago, I thought licensing and dubbing Master of Martial Hearts was a terrible decision and nothing good would come of it. yet here we are, six years and 4 months later and its sitting comfortably in the classics line. Endride fans are out there, that much I'm sure of
CrowLia

PostPosted: Sun May 15, 2016 12:25 pm Reply with quote
getchman wrote:
I think this is really simple, everything deserves a fair chance. maybe this will work out, maybe it wont, I have no idea any more. six years ago, I thought licensing and dubbing Master of Martial Hearts was a terrible decision and nothing good would come of it. yet here we are, six years and 4 months later and its sitting comfortably in the classics line. Endride fans are out there, that much I'm sure of

I don't know about that, the series discussion thread has been completely dead since episode 2 and the scarce reactions I've seen to this announcement are all in the vein of "why is Funi wasting money on this". Apparently those who've kept watching agree that it's only gotten worse from the already mediocre first episode. Sure there's always gonna be someone who likes it, but the point is, will Funi make its money back with this? I'm pretty sure they won't.
getchman
Space Cowboy

PostPosted: Sun May 15, 2016 1:59 pm Reply with quote
CrowLia wrote:

I don't know about that, the series discussion thread has been completely dead since episode 2 and the scarce reactions I've seen to this announcement are all in the vein of "why is Funi wasting money on this". Apparently those who've kept watching agree that it's only gotten worse from the already mediocre first episode. Sure there's always gonna be someone who likes it, but the point is, will Funi make its money back with this? I'm pretty sure they won't.

sure, I get what you are saying, and I'm somewhat skeptical as well. However, I do believe that now is the right time to dub this. Since they rely a lot on the streaming performance of their simulcasts to determine how a show is released, the apparent lack of interest would likely mean this would wind up a sub-only DVD release if it were just a regular simulcast. which of course means any potential profit made from this should would be negligible at best. dub it now, and your audience increases and so does the chance of actually making enough to make acquiring the show worth it. it's what makes the most sense to me
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2