• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Netflix to Stream Little Witch Academia TV Anime Series

Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
LaughingElbow

PostPosted: Mon Jul 04, 2016 6:07 pm Reply with quote
Dammit Netflix, I don't want to buy a subscription from you.
Ryu Shoji

PostPosted: Mon Jul 04, 2016 6:11 pm Reply with quote
Can they at least simulcast the series instead of waiting for all of it to air before throwing it out in one go?
heartlessangel65

PostPosted: Mon Jul 04, 2016 6:18 pm Reply with quote
Dammit I was hoping for CR to get this
DmonHiro

PostPosted: Mon Jul 04, 2016 6:27 pm Reply with quote
Welp.... fansubs it is. I'm not waiting a whole goddamn season to watch it.
Polycell

PostPosted: Mon Jul 04, 2016 6:29 pm Reply with quote
Ryu Shoji wrote:
Can they at least simulcast the series instead of waiting for all of it to air before throwing it out in one go?
Apparently they've tried airing things in the traditional manner and it doesn't appeal to their audience.
heartlessangel65 wrote:
Dammit I was hoping for CR to get this
Me too, especially as a backer of the second episode. But, if they dub it, Netflix can probably pass it off as a normal kids' cartoon(try and tell me it's not that western-influenced), so I can see why they'd blow right past everyone to get it.
chex mix

PostPosted: Mon Jul 04, 2016 6:30 pm Reply with quote
Dammit! Seriously, Netflix, you're making it awfully difficult to want to give you my money for your other worthwhile services. Provide timely service or go away!
Selipse

PostPosted: Mon Jul 04, 2016 7:04 pm Reply with quote
This reminded me that Kuromukuro came out today there and that ironically I won't have to wait for fansubs at least for the newest episode.

So I went there and noticed that it doesn't have a dub. What? Why? I mean, that's the only point of Netflix having an anime. (They not only dub it in English, but also in Spanish, my native tongue. I don't even watch either of those, but at least it's nice to see anime getting dubs in Spanish nowadays).

So, are they waiting for the whole show to finish airing to dub it? I mean, that makes sense, but if they're going to do that, they should go all the way and just release it subbed week by week. Leave the dub until you can upload it all at the same time for the stupid binge culture. I mean, Netflix Japan already airs it with English subtitles every week. Just make that available everywhere else, for Christ's sake!
Guile

PostPosted: Mon Jul 04, 2016 7:12 pm Reply with quote
I guess for people who don't have Netflix subscriptions or like that whole binge-watching concept will rely have to rely on fansubs. I would never get a Netflix subscription just for one show I couldn't watch as it aired.

Polycell wrote:
But, if they dub it, Netflix can probably pass it off as a normal kids' cartoon(try and tell me it's not that western-influenced), so I can see why they'd blow right past everyone to get it.

I can't see how anyone would mistake it for an American cartoon. It's not CG or Flash animated and the designs are too detailed. It really oozes anime in every way. Cute girls, magic, appealing designs.
Dark Mac

PostPosted: Mon Jul 04, 2016 7:25 pm Reply with quote
Sorry, the news post is a little confusing. It says "The new series will be a 30-minute television series" so does that mean 12 2.5 minute episodes, or is it going to have 12 30 minute episodes?
v1cious

PostPosted: Mon Jul 04, 2016 7:28 pm Reply with quote
Evil or Very Mad Evil or Very Mad Evil or Very Mad Evil or Very Mad Evil or Very Mad Evil or Very Mad Evil or Very Mad Evil or Very Mad Evil or Very Mad Don't get me wrong I love Trigger and I wish them all the success they can get but... aargh!
DangerMouse

PostPosted: Mon Jul 04, 2016 8:01 pm Reply with quote
Polycell wrote:
Me too, especially as a backer of the second episode. But, if they dub it, Netflix can probably pass it off as a normal kids' cartoon(try and tell me it's not that western-influenced), so I can see why they'd blow right past everyone to get it.

Yeah, the one positive is that it'll atleast be definitely getting dubbed in the end. The two OVA/Movies were fun.

Last edited by DangerMouse on Mon Jul 04, 2016 9:06 pm; edited 1 time in total
Nonaka Machine Gun B

PostPosted: Mon Jul 04, 2016 8:52 pm Reply with quote
I must be missing something, because it sounds like, for the first time ever, we have an honest-to-God Netflix original anime series. Unless I didn't catch the news elsewhere, this series does not have a Japanese TV station decided on (yet), unlike Knights of Sidonia or Ajin. And if that's correct, than that means there's no "waiting for the season to be over," and they're going to dump all the episodes at once and Netlfix will be the only place you can watch it, minus pirating.

Again, could be wrong, maybe it will air on Japanese TV. But I haven't seen that mentioned anywhere.
Sahmbahdeh

PostPosted: Mon Jul 04, 2016 8:58 pm Reply with quote
Guile wrote:

Polycell wrote:
But, if they dub it, Netflix can probably pass it off as a normal kids' cartoon(try and tell me it's not that western-influenced), so I can see why they'd blow right past everyone to get it.

I can't see how anyone would mistake it for an American cartoon. It's not CG or Flash animated and the designs are too detailed. It really oozes anime in every way. Cute girls, magic, appealing designs.

It's not that hard to imagine. Magic and witches are western as all get-out, and Studio Trigger tends to have a very plastic, kinetic, Looney Tunes-esque style anyway. And besides, the majority of casual viewers don't pay close enough attention to animation styles to notice any real differences anyway, so it's kind of a moot point.
Oneeyedjacks

PostPosted: Mon Jul 04, 2016 9:00 pm Reply with quote
While Netflix getting this is good since more people overall will see it, it is disappointing, since this means no simulcast, and instead, waiting until it finishes airing before we can legally watch it.
Emperor Fred

PostPosted: Mon Jul 04, 2016 9:04 pm Reply with quote
I am not a streamer or a binge-watcher and I have a fair amount of patience. So my question is...

It's been my experience that any worthwhile Netflix-original series will eventually get a DVD/Blu-Ray release, and I would imagine an anime series with such fan support and recognition would certainly qualify as such, so... whom shall I expect to release this series in a year/year-and-a-half's time?
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next
Page 1 of 3