• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Japan's Animation Blu-ray Disc Ranking, July 18-24

Goto page 1, 2  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Engineering Nerd

PostPosted: Tue Jul 26, 2016 3:59 am Reply with quote
So in terms of BD sales (we are not talking about DVD+BD combined figure), none of the April shows exceed 10000+?!! What happened?!

Heck, even Konosuba's first volume performed better than Jojo, Kabaneri, ReZero, Macross etc.

I guess LLSS will probably become this season's sales savior, anything else? Too early to tell at this point.
kazenoyume

PostPosted: Tue Jul 26, 2016 4:32 am Reply with quote
Engineering Nerd wrote:
So in terms of BD sales (we are not talking about DVD+BD combined figure), none of the April shows exceed 10000+?!! What happened?!.

Macross still might. It's already hit 10k with combined sales.

Macross has also sold an absolutely MASSIVE amount of CDs. The first Walkure CD sold around 80k copies. The first opening single sold around 34k. These are numbers not far off from what Frontier's music was selling, yet Frontier sold around 45k a volume.

Looking at the numbers on the whole this year, it makes me wonder if the BD market is finally getting a bit saturated and fans are deciding to spend their dollars on other merchandise for their favorite shows.
Moroboshi-san

PostPosted: Tue Jul 26, 2016 4:37 am Reply with quote
This is an armageddon-scale disaster for Macross. Last season (Macross Frontier) first volume sold 65k. Now it is struggling to get even to 10k.

Bye bye Macross!
FtKaru

PostPosted: Tue Jul 26, 2016 4:51 am Reply with quote
Moroboshi-san wrote:
This is an armageddon-scale disaster for Macross. Last season (Macross Frontier) first volume sold 65k. Now it is struggling to get even to 10k.

Bye bye Macross!

I guess the 80k on the first album and 30k+ on the first single mean nothing. You'll have to remind me when Macross solely relies on BD sales rather than making boatloads off of multiple toy lines and music.
kazenoyume

PostPosted: Tue Jul 26, 2016 5:03 am Reply with quote
FtKaru wrote:

I guess the 80k on the first album and 30k+ on the first single mean nothing. You'll have to remind me when Macross solely relies on BD sales rather than making boatloads off of multiple toy lines and music.

Don't forget the video game they just announced for Delta, the *counts* nine different figures announced for the series at Wonfest last weekend, the spades of popularity polls the characters and series are winning. And as noted above, music sales so far have been on the same level as Frontier.

People need to stop judging the popularity of a series through just BD sales, especially in a year like this when BD sales have been so bizarrely low.
Hameyadea

PostPosted: Tue Jul 26, 2016 5:18 am Reply with quote
kazenoyume wrote:
People need to stop judging the popularity of a series through just BD sales, especially in a year like this when BD sales have been so bizarrely low.

The Girls & Panzer movie sucked a lot of people's spare money, and KonoSuba knocked the survivors out.
walw6pK4Alo

PostPosted: Tue Jul 26, 2016 5:34 am Reply with quote
Yeesh, Flying Witch is getting wrecked, Bakuon too. Even though Delta is nowhere as good as Frontier, still sad to see the numbers so low, comparatively. Still one of the top sellers for Spring though; and I bet it cost less to make than Frontier because it hardly looks any better for its animation.
Marzan

PostPosted: Tue Jul 26, 2016 6:16 am Reply with quote
Wow. Really expected Delta to sell more. I knew it wasn't going to touch Frontier in sales, (the former was better across the board) but less than 10k must be a disappointment.
Mr. Oshawott

PostPosted: Tue Jul 26, 2016 6:57 am Reply with quote
It seems that Bakuon and Flying Witch are having a slow start... But the revenue from the figures and other goods should help cover that...
darkchibi07

PostPosted: Tue Jul 26, 2016 7:05 am Reply with quote
Engineering Nerd wrote:

I guess LLSS will probably become this season's sales savior, anything else? Too early to tell at this point.

There's another title looming in the Fall season, and that's Touken Ranbu which could go on par with KanColle.
danshi_boy3

PostPosted: Tue Jul 26, 2016 8:25 am Reply with quote
I'm so glad for my merman babies do it great. Lovely MakoHaru scenes in HighSpeed.
Very Happy

Also, nice to see Super Lovers still doing fine (3 days only), after a combined 3.324 in first volume (inside Spring top10 sales). Smile
iamtooawesome

PostPosted: Tue Jul 26, 2016 8:51 am Reply with quote
Why did it took so long for KyoAni to release the BD version of Highspeed? The movie came out last year but boy it took them almost a year to release the BD, many may have already lost their interest(well none were interested anyway, the fans wanted a sequel version not a prequel) so I expect that the bd would be sell decently but not much... And geez I've been waiting waiting forever whats up with KyoAni?

And not to mention Macross RIP I guess the new Macross didn't lived up to the quality of its predecessor
iamtooawesome

PostPosted: Tue Jul 26, 2016 9:12 am Reply with quote
Hameyadea wrote:

The Girls & Panzer movie sucked a lot of people's spare money, and KonoSuba knocked the survivors out.

Well thats not really the case, bulk buying is the trend nowadays, it's true its never new since there are fanbases and fanwars, there are some case that a fanbase is build dedicated for bulk buying (it's not wrong anyway you're just buying the product)., I have this friend who shipped 20 Osomatsu's limited press BDs, thats like lol, its the same for LL! concert ongoers who bought many tickets for themselves.hardcore fans are famous for bulk buying, the part that its bad is when they are competing for the ranking, specially in Oricon.Companies and Studios does it too, if the sell is low the company will buy its own product in so they could advertise it(by media power). It's not ridiculous. Ots more ridiculous when you saw on the news that some anime made a decent sale on its first weekend but it skyrocketed after a month, suspicious eh?
Angel M Cazares

PostPosted: Tue Jul 26, 2016 10:28 am Reply with quote
Yay for Flying Witch still doing better than I first anticipated. It would be nice if it kept a 3k average.
Ushio

PostPosted: Tue Jul 26, 2016 11:27 am Reply with quote
kazenoyume wrote:
Engineering Nerd wrote:
So in terms of BD sales (we are not talking about DVD+BD combined figure), none of the April shows exceed 10000+?!! What happened?!.

Macross still might. It's already hit 10k with combined sales.

Macross has also sold an absolutely MASSIVE amount of CDs. The first Walkure CD sold around 80k copies. The first opening single sold around 34k. These are numbers not far off from what Frontier's music was selling, yet Frontier sold around 45k a volume.

Looking at the numbers on the whole this year, it makes me wonder if the BD market is finally getting a bit saturated and fans are deciding to spend their dollars on other merchandise for their favorite shows.

Macross Delta hit 9,999 first week still have to wait for it to break the 10K barrier and this was with an event ticket so volume 2 sales could be 50-70% lower.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2