• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
REVIEW: Black Clover GN 1 & 2

Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
TrueZangetsu

PostPosted: Sat Aug 06, 2016 9:45 am Reply with quote
At this point, do people even pay any attention to reviewers?
0Ninjaz0

PostPosted: Sat Aug 06, 2016 9:49 am Reply with quote
Black Clover had pretty "mehh" start, but gets nice in its third arc, and is pretty nice after that, but even then it still has its up and downs.

But it is certainly enjoyable at parts, I'm sure many people would like a manga like this despite its obvious flaws whether minor or major, that's always the case. The art is nice and gets better even though I've never really gotten used to the way the mangaka draws faces and eyes.
Monster Hunter

PostPosted: Sat Aug 06, 2016 9:55 am Reply with quote
Black Clover is one of the most by the number cliche shounen titles I have read. Talking about taking from other mangas the series takes Naruto's story and adds it to Fairy Tail's setting and powers. I love shounen series but this one is beyond cliche that I can't get into it.
ultimatehaki

PostPosted: Sat Aug 06, 2016 10:04 am Reply with quote
Black clover is a hit and miss manga. Alot more misses then hits and when it does hit, its not even a bulls-eye. For the most part I agreed with the review. Ultimately it's something you can read for minor entertainment to hold you over while waiting for your favorite series to come out.

Definitely not something I would keep on my shelf tho.
Themaster20000

PostPosted: Sat Aug 06, 2016 10:10 am Reply with quote
It doesn't sound terrible,instead it sounds incredible bland (worse than being bad)
ParaChomp

PostPosted: Sat Aug 06, 2016 11:02 am Reply with quote
TrueZangetsu wrote:
Yes. Reviews are the gospel for many.
Shenl742

PostPosted: Sat Aug 06, 2016 11:06 am Reply with quote
TrueZangetsu wrote:

Yes, me for instance. I am extremely pro-review.
pikabot

PostPosted: Sat Aug 06, 2016 11:12 am Reply with quote
I think the world building is actually Black Clover's weakest point. To this day, let alone in the first two volumes, we still haven't really been shown the world's social dynamics. The series occasionally pays lip service to class discrimination being a thing but we haven't seen any effective examples of it in action.

Black Clover's not the worst manga ever, but there's also pretty much no reason to ever bother reading it, and definitely no reason to ever spend money on it.
Hawkmonger

PostPosted: Sat Aug 06, 2016 11:14 am Reply with quote
Black Clover is flawed but enjoyable. Why it has such a bad reputation when it's utterly harmless in comparison to genuinely repulsive (and even offensively asinine) shite like Nisekoi and Monster Musume I have no idea.
v1cious

PostPosted: Sat Aug 06, 2016 11:30 am Reply with quote
TrueZangetsu wrote:

Never read this manga, but just that's an unfair thing to say. How else would we learn about more avant-garde masterpieces like "A Drifting Life" and "Bleach"?
Larkan

PostPosted: Sat Aug 06, 2016 11:40 am Reply with quote
Its as close to a JUMP series as it gets, its no wonder its a very popular serialization and its almost bound to become a big Hit with how much WSJ are putting on it.
KutovoiAnton

PostPosted: Sat Aug 06, 2016 11:54 am Reply with quote
It was so bland and cliched at the beginning that it was laughable, but it got better over the time. I dare to say that current arc is actually pretty good. Still nothing special, though.
leafy sea dragon

PostPosted: Sat Aug 06, 2016 2:10 pm Reply with quote
The way I see it, Black Clover is a manga for beginners to shonen. To someone who's read a lot of shonen, Black Clover will be all been-there done-that, but to someone who's never read and is unfamiliar with Naruto or Fairy Tail or Bleach or anything else it's aping, it would be one of the most awesome things they've ever read. I think that's why it's always ranked so high in the magazine's popularity surveys.

Also, don't forget about how the Eye of the Midnight Sun is collecting the seven Chaos Emeralds.

I never even thought of this rampant imitation being the mark of an inexperienced writer. That would definitely be interesting considering this is Yuki Tabata's first established series, and interesting to see if he can stand on his own. Personally, I think this current arc, in the water kingdom, is where it's starting to pick up. Characters are now using their magic in more creative ways, and this is the first truly ensemble story in Asta's squad. It still feels derivative, but it feels less like Tabata's riding off of another series's success and more like him wanting to tell something good by himself.

Something else I want to say is that Tabata's not that good at using environments. Not as bad as Tite Kubo, but he seems to use settings more for the exoticism than anything else. The only arc I can think of so far where the setting is directly connected to the plot and the fighting is the one in the ancient tomb, where they have to deal with the ancients' magic-powered traps. The current arc's under-the-sea setting looks to be just so Tabata can draw fish, coral-and-barnacles structures, and Aquaman-themed people.

pikabot wrote:
I think the world building is actually Black Clover's weakest point. To this day, let alone in the first two volumes, we still haven't really been shown the world's social dynamics. The series occasionally pays lip service to class discrimination being a thing but we haven't seen any effective examples of it in action.

Any time Asta is in the company of the Soul Society Captains and their lieutenants...I mean Magic Knight Captains and their lieutenants, the ones with a background in nobility are the first to dismiss Asta, with the exception of the Silvers, whose head seems interested in what it is about Asta that Yami likes so much about him.

However, you're right--this caste system seems to exist mostly so other characters can mock and belittle Asta before he even does anything. No one mocks or belittles Yuna though.
Larkan

PostPosted: Sat Aug 06, 2016 2:24 pm Reply with quote
leafy sea dragon wrote:
The way I see it, Black Clover is a manga for beginners to shonen. To someone who's read a lot of shonen, Black Clover will be all been-there done-that, but to someone who's never read and is unfamiliar with Naruto or Fairy Tail or Bleach or anything else it's aping, it would be one of the most awesome things they've ever read. I think that's why it's always ranked so high in the magazine's popularity surveys.

Also, don't forget about how the Eye of the Midnight Sun is collecting the seven Chaos Emeralds.

I never even thought of this rampant imitation being the mark of an inexperienced writer. That would definitely be interesting considering this is Yuki Tabata's first established series, and interesting to see if he can stand on his own. Personally, I think this current arc, in the water kingdom, is where it's starting to pick up. Characters are now using their magic in more creative ways, and this is the first truly ensemble story in Asta's squad. It still feels derivative, but it feels less like Tabata's riding off of another series's success and more like him wanting to tell something good by himself.

Something else I want to say is that Tabata's not that good at using environments. Not as bad as Tite Kubo, but he seems to use settings more for the exoticism than anything else. The only arc I can think of so far where the setting is directly connected to the plot and the fighting is the one in the ancient tomb, where they have to deal with the ancients' magic-powered traps. The current arc's under-the-sea setting looks to be just so Tabata can draw fish, coral-and-barnacles structures, and Aquaman-themed people.

pikabot wrote:

Any time Asta is in the company of the Soul Society Captains and their lieutenants...I mean Magic Knight Captains and their lieutenants, the ones with a background in nobility are the first to dismiss Asta, with the exception of the Silvers, whose head seems interested in what it is about Asta that Yami likes so much about him.

However, you're right--this caste system seems to exist mostly so other characters can mock and belittle Asta before he even does anything. No one mocks or belittles Yuna though.

that's the thing, Black Clover is a manga for young people in a magazine for young people (the average age of the readership from Jump is 12-14 year olds).

Comparisons to Naruto, Fairy tail seem to fly past me, i just don't understand where they come from, since i see no resemblance except from the fact that they both use established tropes.

its all about one thing, if you can't handle tropes and Friendship, Effort and Victory, then you just shouldn't read any Jump manga, especially battle shounen.

One example is actually Bleach's initial setting that was ripped off from YYH.
He was rejected before by the editors when he submitted because it was too similar to YYH. I found it incredibly funny that when he cited his influences, he didn't mention togashi(YYH) iirc.
TrueZangetsu

PostPosted: Sat Aug 06, 2016 3:05 pm Reply with quote
ParaChomp wrote:
TrueZangetsu wrote:
Yes. Reviews are the gospel for many.

I'm not even reading this Manga but too many negative reviews have had me not read sun Ken rock or watch initial d. Two of the best Series I have ever witnessed in my life.
And other reviews told me that the new Ghostbusters busters was great, which was rh e most disappointing experience this year for me.

If you really listen to a review over having given it a fair chance, that's sad.

Last edited by TrueZangetsu on Sat Aug 06, 2016 3:08 pm; edited 1 time in total
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next
Page 1 of 3