• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: New WIXOSS TV Anime's Teaser Video Reveals Cast, Staff, Story

Goto page 1, 2  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
FackuIkari

PostPosted: Sun Aug 07, 2016 5:23 am Reply with quote
yay more WIXOSS
KH91

PostPosted: Sun Aug 07, 2016 5:31 am Reply with quote
Still choosing which selector I'm going to incite.

Also, the song is FIYA!!!!!
John Hayabusa

PostPosted: Sun Aug 07, 2016 6:38 am Reply with quote
I enjoyed the original anime series but after watching the trailer, I feel like I got punched in the gut. This is one of the instances that so many changes could lead to alienating the fans. I was expecting a more direct sequel. I had had expectation for this new WIXOSS anime but I think I may give this one a pass.
jymmy

PostPosted: Sun Aug 07, 2016 7:41 am Reply with quote
I think that's a really immature and premature perspective. How is telling a different story with similar elements but different characters or setting in the same franchise a "punch in the gut"? Why wouldn't you just watch it and see how you like the first couple of episodes? The selector duology already told a complete story which would only be cheapened by a forced continuation. It's just dumb to want a sequel to it. Just rewatch it if you love it and can't handle the idea of something being different.

My previous points all entertain the idea that your reaction is even valid. If promotional materials had said the story of Ruuko and Tama would be continued or featured Mayu extensively, and then the show had featured none of that, then you could actually say the creators have misled or disappointed you. All they've said is that there'll be a new work in the WIXOSS universe, just like Twin Wing or Twin Memories. Your ideas about the form this new anime will take seem to have come entirely from your own head.
kuso_battlive

PostPosted: Sun Aug 07, 2016 8:54 am Reply with quote
If the prize is/are "memories", wouldn't it be lighter than selector's prize? spoiler[(to grant wishes)]
I am aware that those who lose would probably spoiler[lose their memories], but still, it would be rather lighter than selector that spoiler[make their (those who lose) wishes reverse]

But the trailer indeed gave me goosebumps. Here we go, J.C.!!!
John Hayabusa

PostPosted: Sun Aug 07, 2016 9:16 am Reply with quote
jymmy wrote:
I think that's a really immature and premature perspective. How is telling a different story with similar elements but different characters or setting in the same franchise a "punch in the gut"? Why wouldn't you just watch it and see how you like the first couple of episodes? The selector duology already told a complete story which would only be cheapened by a forced continuation. It's just dumb to want a sequel to it. Just rewatch it if you love it and can't handle the idea of something being different.

My previous points all entertain the idea that your reaction is even valid. If promotional materials had said the story of Ruuko and Tama would be continued or featured Mayu extensively, and then the show had featured none of that, then you could actually say the creators have misled or disappointed you. All they've said is that there'll be a new work in the WIXOSS universe, just like Twin Wing or Twin Memories. Your ideas about the form this new anime will take seem to have come entirely from your own head.

Apparently, you did not get my point. To be fair, I should have been more clear about my earlier post. I did say about preferring a more direct sequel which is not a horrible idea. Making a complete story incomplete is not always wrong and "dumb". If it is dumb, then why other series like Symphogear keep getting new seasons when it should have been completed in S1 or S2? My complaint has nothing to do with new story or the new art. It is just that there the new WIXOSS anime has lost the uniqueness that separates the series from other card game anime. And yes, I am aware WIXOSS has a couple of manga that take place in the same universe. Both the manga and the anime have that uniqueness that the upcoming anime has lost. I will let you figure it out what that uniqueness is. And no, it has nothing to do with the new anime's spoiler[memories thing or any card game-related mechanics].

If you think I am the only one having a problem with it, then you are mistaken, my friend. That is why I would prefer a more direct sequel over this one In all honesty though, I am willing to give this a shot. The character design is less moe but better than the original's, I will give you that. Maybe then, I will join the ride. spoiler[The two-girl childhood friend/rival story] is the one thing from this anime that interests me the most.

Last edited by John Hayabusa on Sun Aug 07, 2016 9:22 am; edited 2 times in total
OtakunX

PostPosted: Sun Aug 07, 2016 9:20 am Reply with quote
The original series was a terrible madoka magika rip off about whiny characters acting like they were being forced to do something they weren't. It was interesting to see a card game show take the idea of female leads in a dark plot compared to usual hot blooded hero shonnen style show that is so common but the characters and plot didn't hold it together.
7jaws7

PostPosted: Sun Aug 07, 2016 10:19 am Reply with quote
Cool, more Madoka The Gathering Very Happy
jymmy

PostPosted: Sun Aug 07, 2016 4:08 pm Reply with quote
John Hayabusa wrote:
Apparently, you did not get my point. To be fair, I should have been more clear about my earlier post. I did say about preferring a more direct sequel which is not a horrible idea. Making a complete story incomplete is not always wrong and "dumb". If it is dumb, then why other series like Symphogear keep getting new seasons when it should have been completed in S1 or S2?

With selector, my view at least is that it obviously would be. With other, different anime, it might not be.

John Hayabusa wrote:
My complaint has nothing to do with new story or the new art. It is just that there the new WIXOSS anime has lost the uniqueness that separates the series from other card game anime. And yes, I am aware WIXOSS has a couple of manga that take place in the same universe. Both the manga and the anime have that uniqueness that the upcoming anime has lost. I will let you figure it out what that uniqueness is.

Great, that means you don't have to explain what it is or why you think it matters. A lot harder to debate with you, then. Interesting that you said "I should have been more clear about my earlier post", any then you decide not to be. I'd love to hear your actual criticism if you'd care to say what it is.

John Hayabusa wrote:
If you think I am the only one having a problem with it, then you are mistaken, my friend.

Why would I be interested in the existence of some abstract group of offended people? The sort of people who would become upset by a trailer are exactly the sort of people who are likely to hold childish, entitled views in the first place. Were you going to expand on this, by maybe telling me how I was mistaken, who those people are and what problem they have with it?

You're free to say it doesn't look interesting for whatever reason, but that very vague point seems only to imply that there are people who can't cope with something being different from what they expected. This is what I interpreted your post as being, what I'd be interested in hearing something to contradict and why I responded to you in the first place.
Yuki_Kun45
Exempt from Grammar Rules

PostPosted: Sun Aug 07, 2016 5:10 pm Reply with quote
Really a Wixoss series amazed the show did so well to warrant a third series besides the merchandising that went into it. The original two were okay, a lot of good ideas, a fair amount of potential but really hampered by a lackluster script and so many intriguing story opportunities missed out on.

No doubt it was trying to ride Madoka's coattails but lacked a solid script to back it on, still now this new series has a different writer and director on board lets see if they can put a more solid story together.
Hoppy800

PostPosted: Sun Aug 07, 2016 6:00 pm Reply with quote
kuso_battlive wrote:
If the prize is/are "memories", wouldn't it be lighter than selector's prize? spoiler[(to grant wishes)]
I am aware that those who lose would probably spoiler[lose their memories], but still, it would be rather lighter than selector that spoiler[make their (those who lose) wishes reverse]

But the trailer indeed gave me goosebumps. Here we go, J.C.!!!

Memories? Lighter? No, memories can be corrupted into oblivion, warped, and implanted, it's 100x worse than the previous Wixoss seasons. It's going to be just as dark if not darker than the previous seasons.
OpinionatedWeaboo

PostPosted: Sun Aug 07, 2016 7:12 pm Reply with quote
Amazing. More seasons of a show that does no justice to the card game it is centered on, choosing instead to force its viewers to a plot centered on forced tragedy and leaving the actual game as a secondary thing.
jr240483

PostPosted: Sun Aug 07, 2016 7:46 pm Reply with quote
7jaws7 wrote:
Cool, more Madoka The Gathering Very Happy

and from the looks of things, it will be completely yuri esque than infected or spread or destructed. and not to mention and which would please some people , no more incest storylines which was included in infected and spread.

its all yuri all the time it seems. just like with madoka and prisma illya.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
elior1

PostPosted: Mon Aug 08, 2016 3:56 am Reply with quote
jymmy wrote:
John Hayabusa wrote:
Apparently, you did not get my point. To be fair, I should have been more clear about my earlier post. I did say about preferring a more direct sequel which is not a horrible idea. Making a complete story incomplete is not always wrong and "dumb". If it is dumb, then why other series like Symphogear keep getting new seasons when it should have been completed in S1 or S2?

With selector, my view at least is that it obviously would be. With other, different anime, it might not be.

John Hayabusa wrote:
My complaint has nothing to do with new story or the new art. It is just that there the new WIXOSS anime has lost the uniqueness that separates the series from other card game anime. And yes, I am aware WIXOSS has a couple of manga that take place in the same universe. Both the manga and the anime have that uniqueness that the upcoming anime has lost. I will let you figure it out what that uniqueness is.

Great, that means you don't have to explain what it is or why you think it matters. A lot harder to debate with you, then. Interesting that you said "I should have been more clear about my earlier post", any then you decide not to be. I'd love to hear your actual criticism if you'd care to say what it is.

John Hayabusa wrote:
If you think I am the only one having a problem with it, then you are mistaken, my friend.

Why would I be interested in the existence of some abstract group of offended people? The sort of people who would become upset by a trailer are exactly the sort of people who are likely to hold childish, entitled views in the first place. Were you going to expand on this, by maybe telling me how I was mistaken, who those people are and what problem they have with it?

You're free to say it doesn't look interesting for whatever reason, but that very vague point seems only to imply that there are people who can't cope with something being different from what they expected. This is what I interpreted your post as being, what I'd be interested in hearing something to contradict and why I responded to you in the first place.
after watch season 1 and 2 there is no need for squal since all is resolved the pepole who suffering are free the cards became human. there is no need for squal
jymmy

PostPosted: Mon Aug 08, 2016 4:59 am Reply with quote
Dude, spoilers.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2