• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Girls und Panzer Film's Theatrical Run Tops 2.3 Billion Yen in 40 Weeks

Goto page 1, 2  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
HueyLion

PostPosted: Mon Aug 22, 2016 3:16 pm Reply with quote
The orange haired girl looks like she clearing her throat xD
azabaro
Subscriber

PostPosted: Mon Aug 22, 2016 4:15 pm Reply with quote
Miho? Yeah, she has a microphone worn right next to her throat (so that what she says to other tanks on her team isn't drowned out by tank noise).
AnimeAddict2014

PostPosted: Mon Aug 22, 2016 4:54 pm Reply with quote
the movie was pretty good Smile

maybe season 2 is in the work..

Last edited by AnimeAddict2014 on Mon Aug 22, 2016 6:02 pm; edited 1 time in total
Touma

PostPosted: Mon Aug 22, 2016 5:16 pm Reply with quote
AnimeAddict2014 wrote:
maybe season 1 is in the work..

Do you mean season 2?

I am really looking forward to the movie being released on disc here, I love the TV series, and I enjoyed the manga.
I really do not understand why I like it so much, but I will just be glad that I do like it.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
relyat08

PostPosted: Mon Aug 22, 2016 5:28 pm Reply with quote
At this point it's not even fair to compare it's earnings to other films. 40 weeks in theaters is pretty ridiculous already, but they are going to keep it going for at least 14 more weeks? Good grief guys.
AnimeAddict2014

PostPosted: Mon Aug 22, 2016 6:06 pm Reply with quote
Touma wrote:
AnimeAddict2014 wrote:
maybe season 1 is in the work..

Do you mean season 2?

I am really looking forward to the movie being released on disc here, I love the TV series, and I enjoyed the manga.
I really do not understand why I like it so much, but I will just be glad that I do like it.

thanks i fixed it

tanks battles are fun to watch Smile

There's actually a F2P tank game out there (pc and consoles). I heard it's pretty good

Last edited by AnimeAddict2014 on Tue Aug 23, 2016 11:27 am; edited 1 time in total
encrypted12345

PostPosted: Mon Aug 22, 2016 6:14 pm Reply with quote
Touma wrote:

I'm looking forward to it too. And don't forget about the Anzio OVA.

I think the best way to describe why its popular is that it's a well-executed moe sports anime that has badass tank battles instead of normal sports.
Dfens

PostPosted: Mon Aug 22, 2016 6:27 pm Reply with quote
Wow since I'm going to Japan next month for more than a week I guess since it's still going to be shown in theaters I'll try to see it on the big screen.

Even though I've watched it several times already but I've always wanted to see a Anime Feature Film on the big screen in Japan. I wonder how many seats it still fills each showing compared to when it first came out. Back then would have been the best time to see it with a crowd of of die hard fans having a good time.
jymmy

PostPosted: Mon Aug 22, 2016 8:29 pm Reply with quote
AnimeAddict2014 wrote:
There's actually a F2P tank game out there (pc and consoles). I heard it's pretty good

World of Tanks? Girls und Panzer has officially crossed over with it and the members of the Anteater team, the last one to join, are obsessed with an unnamed game which is definitely World of Tanks.

Dfens: The movie is fantastic in theatres, but Japanese audiences are generally pretty passive. Very little cheering or even laughing at the jokes.
Mr. Oshawott

PostPosted: Tue Aug 23, 2016 12:45 am Reply with quote
The film of Girls und Panzer may not have surpassed Love Live in the box office, but ¥2.3 billion is still a hugely impressive score! Smile
Shiflan

PostPosted: Tue Aug 23, 2016 1:29 pm Reply with quote
I've got a question for anyone who has seen this film: How good is it, really? Is it a major change from the TV and OVAs?

The reason I ask is that I find it somewhat puzzling for the movie to have such stellar sales figures whereas the series didn't strike me as anything special?

Please don't get me wrong--I don't mean to put down the show. I like it. I own both the TV and OVA on Blu-ray. I think it's a lot of fun. But in my opinion it's not that special. The movie has sales figures up there with, and exceeding very well regarded shows like the Evangelion films, Madoka Magica, etc, so I can't help but wonder if somehow there were major changes between the TV and the film? Because I don't see how the TV/OVAs are anywhere near on that level. What am I missing?
relyat08

PostPosted: Tue Aug 23, 2016 1:56 pm Reply with quote
Shiflan wrote:
I've got a question for anyone who has seen this film: How good is it, really? Is it a major change from the TV and OVAs?

The reason I ask is that I find it somewhat puzzling for the movie to have such stellar sales figures whereas the series didn't strike me as anything special?

Please don't get me wrong--I don't mean to put down the show. I like it. I own both the TV and OVA on Blu-ray. I think it's a lot of fun. But in my opinion it's not that special. The movie has sales figures up there with, and exceeding very well regarded shows like the Evangelion films, Madoka Magica, etc, so I can't help but wonder if somehow there were major changes between the TV and the film? Because I don't see how the TV/OVAs are anywhere near on that level. What am I missing?

My question to you is, do you think Love Live is something special? Because the Japanese sure do, and I would argue that that fits into the exact same spot as GuP. It's a lot of fun, even if there isn't anything particularly important about it.

Basically, the Japanese audience wants exactly this kind of media. Girls Und Panzer, the TV series, was HUGELY successful when it was released on disc. This kind of thing, and things like Love Live, just resonate with them.
0nsen

PostPosted: Tue Aug 23, 2016 1:59 pm Reply with quote
The movie is basically a storyless action scene. It did what so many movies failed to do by just excluding the boring story altogether. Except for 30min in the middle, which they should have cut out, too.
Shiflan

PostPosted: Tue Aug 23, 2016 2:06 pm Reply with quote
relyat08 wrote:
My question to you is, do you think Love Live is something special?

I am completely unfamiliar with it, sorry.

Quote:
It's a lot of fun, even if there isn't anything particularly important about it.

Yeah, that's what I was wondering about. I agree that the show is a lot of fun, but I don't see it going much beyond that. It doesn't have any really gripping or heartwarming or -wrenching moments. It lacks any significant drama, poignant social commentary, or moral dilemma. The animation is good, but it's not a standout. The music (in my opinion, anyway) is nothing special. The characters are mostly generic tropes. It's fun, and I can see it being a popular show. But I can't fathom how the movie has the sales numbers that it does compared to other much more serious programming.
Shiflan

PostPosted: Tue Aug 23, 2016 2:07 pm Reply with quote
0nsen wrote:
The movie is basically a storyless action scene. It did what so many movies failed to do by just excluding the boring story altogether.

Thanks, that actually makes a lot of sense!
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2