• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
The Best and Worst of the Season So Far: Week of Aug 19-25

Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Themaster20000

PostPosted: Tue Aug 30, 2016 6:21 pm Reply with quote
Bit surprised at the huge jump 91 Days. The show is starting to fall apart with it killing characters,with it having no emotional impact due to the show doing nothing for me to be invested in them. Then the production values which have gone from bad to atrocious at points (hence the recap last week)
XerneasYveltal

PostPosted: Tue Aug 30, 2016 6:56 pm Reply with quote
Never thought that LL Sunshine has went to a new all-time high.

Episode 6 made me think that it was dipping down in quality by recycling the driving force of the first series. Shutting down the school and merging it with another one.

The strong reception for Episode 8 may have something to do with Aqours spoiler[being in dead last in the school idol event with nil votes].
killjoy_the

PostPosted: Tue Aug 30, 2016 7:19 pm Reply with quote
Glad about the 91 Days jump, episode 7 was the one I liked the most as well. Sad about Mob Psycho's fall, since that was an episode I enjoyed more than the ones people ranked high. Less sad about Orange's fall, given its apparent train wreck of a production.
meiam

PostPosted: Tue Aug 30, 2016 7:47 pm Reply with quote
Wow eventfull week with all teh ups and down. What happened with orange? They started dealing with spoiler[the suicide]?
invalidname
Contributor

PostPosted: Tue Aug 30, 2016 8:42 pm Reply with quote
meiam wrote:
Wow eventfull week with all teh ups and down. What happened with orange? They started dealing with spoiler[the suicide]?

I haven't caught up on Orange yet, but word on anitwitter is that they ran out of animators and went full derpface.

XerneasYveltal wrote:
Never thought that LL Sunshine has went to a new all-time high.

The last two episodes have been a hell of a turnaround. Between failing in Tokyo and the revealed backstory of the third-years, it feels like all the μ's callbacks were there for a purpose: that Aqours has a more difficult road ahead of them.
Angel M Cazares

PostPosted: Tue Aug 30, 2016 9:40 pm Reply with quote
Themaster20000 wrote:
Bit surprised at the huge jump 91 Days.

But, but, but it remained in the same spot in the cumulative ranking. One highly rated weekly episode will not make much of a difference at this point in the season.

The blurbs in this feature love to blow things out of proportion.
leafy sea dragon

PostPosted: Tue Aug 30, 2016 10:09 pm Reply with quote
Wow, this week is the week that One Piece overtook JoJo's Bizarre Adventure. What happened with JoJo's? It hasn't been in the top 5 ever since Shigeki was introduced.

I should get around to watching these current episodes of One Piece though.
malvarez1

PostPosted: Tue Aug 30, 2016 10:48 pm Reply with quote
Dang, that huge One Piece boost. People must be really happy to start a new arc. Very Happy
Muffum

PostPosted: Wed Aug 31, 2016 12:12 am Reply with quote
Super glad at the spike for Sunshine. Prior to the last couple episodes, I was consistently enjoying it, but didn't really expect it to rise above the middle of the rankings given the reception I'd seen. However, episodes 8 and 9 were a step above and beyond in my mind, so I'm glad to see the rankings reflect that.

Though I doubt that high ranking will last that long. Even considering 9'll likely have a similar ranking, I doubt 10 will be as well-received as those.
zrnzle500

PostPosted: Wed Aug 31, 2016 12:58 am Reply with quote
angelmcazares wrote:
The blurbs in this feature love to blow things out of proportion.

They do have to make things interesting, though to be fair, it is difficult to stuff all the nuance in one sentence.

leafy sea dragon wrote:
Wow, this week is the week that One Piece overtook JoJo's Bizarre Adventure. What happened with JoJo's? It hasn't been in the top 5 ever since Shigeki was introduced.

The episodes before and after Shigeki's introduction aren't very far off in ratings from each other. If anything has changed, it's that the top has gotten more competitive than the beginning of the season.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

While Orange and 91 Days have some rough spots, neither are that bad. Jiggly Jiggly Heaven they are not. Outside of said rough spots, the production values aren't really any worse then they were before for most of the episodes in question of each. I feels like trainwreck and awful are thrown around too easily. It's good to hold creators to high standards but I believe being too quick to denounce something as bad/awful/trainwreck dilutes the meaning of the terms so when something truly utterly awful comes around you have to dig deep in the thesaurus to find words to really differentiate them from the just sort of meh stuff that one denounced as awful garbage fires. Certainly it is more interesting to write "What an utter trainwreck" than "Some of the faces were very briefly kinda derpy looking or undetailed but most of the time just about as good as usually", but the former just blows things out of proportion and is lacking in nuance and personally I find such proclamations rather trite. Hitting a pothole isn't the same as a train derailing and we need to be able to distinguish the two. I don't ask anyone to lower their standards. Rather I encourage people to raise their standards for what constitutes bad/awful/trainwreck.
Merida

PostPosted: Wed Aug 31, 2016 1:17 am Reply with quote
I wouldn't call 91 Days a trainwreck, the show just didn't live up to my expectations which made me pretty disappointed. The people who rate it highly might just have different expectations.

As for Orange, I love the manga, so I'm basically just sad that the anime doesn't really do it justice. It's still better than 91 Days IMHO. Wink
Zin5ki

PostPosted: Wed Aug 31, 2016 2:38 am Reply with quote
Planetarian continues to perform very strongly, overtaking Orange despite having finished several weeks ago. It reminds me of when I automatically received a high score on a school test for which I was absent.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
penguintruth

PostPosted: Wed Aug 31, 2016 4:21 am Reply with quote
91 Days is brilliant, tense, compelling storytelling, and I can't believe the bad word of mouth it has. It's one of the best anime to come out in several years and any release of it on home video format is practically a guaranteed purchase from me. More people should be watching this.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address My Anime My Manga
Nodz

PostPosted: Wed Aug 31, 2016 5:45 am Reply with quote
Zin5ki wrote:
Planetarian continues to perform very strongly, overtaking Orange despite having finished several weeks ago. It reminds me of when I automatically received a high score on a school test for which I was absent.

Exactly!! Why the heck is it still there?
"No episode this week"... it's almost one month there's no episode anymore, it finished its course! It was a five OVA run.
MarshalBanana

PostPosted: Wed Aug 31, 2016 7:58 am Reply with quote
zrnzle500 wrote:
While Orange and 91 Days have some rough spots, neither are that bad. Jiggly Jiggly Heaven they are not. Outside of said rough spots, the production values aren't really any worse then they were before for most of the episodes in question of each. I feels like trainwreck and awful are thrown around too easily. It's good to hold creators to high standards but I believe being too quick to denounce something as bad/awful/trainwreck dilutes the meaning of the terms so when something truly utterly awful comes around you have to dig deep in the thesaurus to find words to really differentiate them from the just sort of meh stuff that one denounced as awful garbage fires. Certainly it is more interesting to write "What an utter trainwreck" than "Some of the faces were very briefly kinda derpy looking or undetailed but most of the time just about as good as usually", but the former just blows things out of proportion and is lacking in nuance and personally I find such proclamations rather trite. Hitting a pothole isn't the same as a train derailing and we need to be able to distinguish the two. I don't ask anyone to lower their standards. Rather I encourage people to raise their standards for what constitutes bad/awful/trainwreck.
It is very common for words to be overused, misused and used in place of real criticism. Personally I think we should have certain words tabooed; overrated, generic, trainwreck, nowadays, edgy, pandering, though I haven't heard the first word used as much recently.. I think the people who call them trainwreck may be new to Anime, as anyone can tell you, it is well known for uneven animation, and we all sort of excepted that long ago.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next
Page 1 of 3