• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
The Mike Toole Show - All-new Originals

Goto page 1, 2  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Vaisaga

PostPosted: Sun Sep 18, 2016 3:38 pm Reply with quote
I've been trying to turn people on this site on to SRW for years. I hope you have better luck.
Blanchimont

PostPosted: Sun Sep 18, 2016 3:54 pm Reply with quote
Quote:
Getting the game took longer than I expected. Just ordering it was complicated, a procedure involving an inquiry on Twitter, a few exchanged emails with a vendor in Malaysia, and a PayPal invoice.

Or one could just spend a few moments to order it from a site that sells Asian/Japanese games/media like Play-Asia and have it shipped within 24 hours... Or perhaps you were looking for a cheaper copy?

For anyone ordering it though, remember that although the PS4 itself is region-free, the dlcs for this require a Singaporean PSN account.
Levitz9

PostPosted: Sun Sep 18, 2016 6:02 pm Reply with quote
A few years ago, I read on ANN that there was a dungeon crawler starring Ultraman and Kamen Rider characters.

That right there is catnip for me. Let me make a party with Ultraman Seven and Kamen Rider Black~! Anime cry
Top Gun

PostPosted: Sun Sep 18, 2016 7:37 pm Reply with quote
I feel like I'm more confused about the whole Super Robot Wars thing after reading this column than I was going into it. First off the top of my head: was the Super Robot Wars TV series a sequel to that disastrously-released OVA, or a retelling, or a spinoff, or just a completely-separate entity? Beyond that, the overall concept of mashing up a ton of different mecha franchises into a fanfiction-happy blender is fun on the surface of it, and I've gotten some chuckles out of the clips I've seen, but at the end of the day I can't say I have any interest in that particular genre of game.

This, though:

Quote:
and the descriptive Sunrise World War, which I want to play just to team up The Big O and Spike Spiegel.

...this, I could get behind. Listen to how many times Steve Blum talks to himself!
LuckyAstei

PostPosted: Sun Sep 18, 2016 7:40 pm Reply with quote
Top Gun wrote:
First off the top of my head: was the Super Robot Wars TV series a sequel to that disastrously-released OVA, or a retelling, or a spinoff, or just a completely-separate entity?

If your talking about the two TV series Divine War and The Inspector they are adapations of the first two episodes of the OG saga, (aka OG1 and OG2 for the GBA/Eps 1 and 2 of OGs) The Animation is post The Inspector and was merged in with the first gaiden game (aka Episode 2.5 Infinite Wisdom)
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail AIM Address Yahoo Messenger ICQ Number
Top Gun

PostPosted: Sun Sep 18, 2016 7:48 pm Reply with quote
Ah, okay, thanks for clearing that up. Seems very anime to release a follow-up first, and then adaptations of the games preceding it afterwards. Very Happy
omiya

PostPosted: Sun Sep 18, 2016 9:54 pm Reply with quote
Vaisaga wrote:
I've been trying to turn people on this site on to SRW for years. I hope you have better luck.

Introduce them to JAM Project Very Happy

GONG: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=O0TiqIjF-uk

SKILL: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qCE4pHiGTXs

Last edited by omiya on Mon Sep 19, 2016 9:13 am; edited 1 time in total
jroa

PostPosted: Sun Sep 18, 2016 11:32 pm Reply with quote
Yes, it's a shame the article wasn't slightly more detailed about each of the SRW anime productions, their connections and respective positives/negatives. Not excessively so, but just enough to present them in a straightforward manner.

I don't personally need that sort of information, strictly speaking, yet those who have absolutely no idea about the subject matter may be easily confused through omission. To be fair, I do think Mike did a good job in terms of explaining the overall concept of the property so my comments shoudn't be interpreted in a non-constructive way.

For the record, I was never a huge fan of the first SRW TV series. Although the 3D mecha were kind of decent for back in the day and the music had quite a few nice remixes of the game soundtrack, the regular character animation was notoriously bad (especially before some DVD fixes came around and tried to salvage the worst bits).

However, The Inspector (which is the second TV series) had the benefit of being directed by Masami Obari and lots of talented 2D animators participated. That immediately made all of the mecha action sequences far more exciting and helped the characters look better too. It also had arguably more interesting material (though it might feel somewhat convoluted at certain points thanks to the presence of multiple antagonist factions). In any case, I still remember how much fun it was to watch The Inspector on Crunchyroll back in 2010. It's unfortunate that nobody picked up the license for a physical release.
Lynx Amali

PostPosted: Sun Sep 18, 2016 11:59 pm Reply with quote
My nitpicker inside of me wants to put out that it's Kouta, not Kohta but as the Battle Force only just showed up for the first time in English-released game, I'm not that picky about it.

The Sunrise ____ games were Atelier-Sai and Sunrise Interactive, both basically now defunct in terms of games. They did take a fair amount of inspiration from SRW in terms of crossover aspects but also did a boatload of things I wish SRW did. Like those cast lists.

Top Gun wrote:
I feel like I'm more confused about the whole Super Robot Wars thing after reading this column than I was going into it. First off the top of my head: was the Super Robot Wars TV series a sequel to that disastrously-released OVA, or a retelling, or a spinoff, or just a completely-separate entity?

Anime wise, in release order;
1) Masoukishin Cybuster - Unconnected and only really connected by the Cybuster name and the use of the Andohs. Characters are very different from their game counterparts. Did have a kickass opening by Masaki Endoh though and some neat ideas, like the one signature attack being used at the end of the series in a way I wasn't expecting.

2) Super Robot Wars OG: The Animation is a sequel to Original Generation 2 on the Gameboy Advance. It was the OVA that you're referring. It's basically been retconned into its little own continuity with the GBA games.

3) Super Robot Wars: Divine Wars is a retelling of Original Generation 1 with some fixes and touch ups here and there. It was the one with the really bad CGI and the one that was released in singles by Bandai Visual.

3) Super Robot Wars OG: The Inspector was the newest anime adaption. It's a very, very "loose" adaption and is basically the biggest example of a show that I can think of fitting the bill of "For Fans, By Fans."
Hawkmonger

PostPosted: Mon Sep 19, 2016 5:29 am Reply with quote
I've always wanted to get into the SRW franchise but never had the knowledge or ability to do such...
MarshalBanana

PostPosted: Mon Sep 19, 2016 6:14 am Reply with quote
jroa wrote:
However, The Inspector (which is the second TV series) had the benefit of being directed by Masami Obari and lots of talented 2D animators participated. That immediately made all of the mecha action sequences far more exciting and helped the characters look better too. It also had arguably more interesting material (though it might feel somewhat convoluted at certain points thanks to the presence of multiple antagonist factions). In any case, I still remember how much fun it was to watch The Inspector on Crunchyroll back in 2010. It's unfortunate that nobody picked up the license for a physical release.
I'm watching that now, really like it. Sadly CR don't have it available in my country so I had to get a torrent.

Last edited by MarshalBanana on Mon Sep 19, 2016 3:43 pm; edited 1 time in total
Vaisaga

PostPosted: Mon Sep 19, 2016 6:43 am Reply with quote
Hawkmonger wrote:
I've always wanted to get into the SRW franchise but never had the knowledge or ability to do such...

Well for now you can watch Divine Wars followed by The Inspector.
Beldarius

PostPosted: Mon Sep 19, 2016 11:53 am Reply with quote
Ooh, finally a Super Robot Wars article on this site~ It's always nice to know more about the franchise, though I've already been a fangirl since 2013.

I can't even remember how I discovered SRW... it was either the music from the games (to this day, I still think it's the best bgm in the world), or the voice actors. I love voice-chasing and I might have done that for Cyber Formula three years ago - Asurada's voice actor Kenichi Ono happens to play Sänger Zonvolt and Wodan Ymir in SRW and I distinctly remember seeing them on his MyAnimeList page.

As a voice actor fangirl, that encounter led me to researching every SRW cast list I could find. ...I was instantly hooked when I noticed how many veteran voice actors there were, Hideyuki Tanaka and Sho Hayami among many (both of them were in Saint Seiya and Ginga Nagareboshi Gin, two of my favorite 80s anime). The cast is so immense it has nearly every voice actor I know of, from famous ones like Tomokazu Sugita, to veterans like Shinichiro Miki and more unknown ones like Jin Horikawa. ...Horikawa's character Tetsuya is one of my top favorites - it's a rather curious situation since all those years ago, his voice was the first one that I ever actually noticed and paid attention to. This was in 2006 before I knew anything about voice-acting... I was watching B'tX and saw this mechanical horse with a very deep, distinctive voice... that voice impressed me and then seven years later I hear it again on the Hagane's vice-captain. It made me remember that he was the first one. The reason why I pay attention to voice actors to this day. Without him and X, I might never have become a fangirl.

...After discovering the cast lists, I got so immersed in the music that I bought the soundtracks to the Playstation OG games immediately (pre-ordered the 2nd OG soundtrack, actually). Also got JAM Project's "Max the Power" album at the same time... I guess it's thanks to SRW that I discovered JAM Project and became their fan~

Now, three years later, I own those three CDs, Super Robot Wars A Portable, Super Robot Wars OG: Moon Dwellers, the entire Record of ATX manga and both Project X Zone games. I've also pre-ordered Super Robot Wars V. You could say I've lost myself to this fandom~ (Saint Seiya and Cyber Formula are my other two 'vices'.)

PS. As for that question about the "dream team"? I really hope Banpresto introduces B'tX to the SRW franchise - the B'ts and their riders could really fit in with all these robots and Tekkaman suits. Anime hyper Besides, Teppei and X's voice actors are already in SRW (Haken and Tetsuya, just sayin'). ...Who wouldn't want to see a Kirin robot and his rider punching sunlight at people? Ah man, maybe we'd finally get to see Sapphire and Gai in animated form.

...Hoping they get someone like Chisa Yokoyama to play Excellen in the next game. She sounds a little similar to Yuko Mizutani, especially when playing excitable and/or ditzy girls~

Quote:
For anyone ordering it though, remember that although the PS4 itself is region-free, the dlcs for this require a Singaporean PSN account.

Got the game, got the account. Still don't got the console. ...Getting it in December or January once I've got enough money...

Last edited by Beldarius on Mon Aug 21, 2017 10:43 pm; edited 1 time in total
luffypirate

PostPosted: Mon Sep 19, 2016 2:27 pm Reply with quote
There will always be a place in my heart for the SRX Team. I can do one mean karaoke performance of Time Diver.
BadNewsBlues

PostPosted: Mon Sep 19, 2016 4:19 pm Reply with quote
luffypirate85 wrote:
There will always be a place in my heart for the SRX Team. I can do one mean karaoke performance of Time Diver.

I assume it's not mean enough to surpass Akira Kushida's version Razz
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2