• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
The Mike Toole Show - Two Princes

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
John Thacker

PostPosted: Sun Oct 02, 2016 11:21 am Reply with quote
One of my favorite is Rally/Larry Vincent in Gunsmith Cats. The story I've heard is that some of the initial translators assumed that it couldn't be Larry, that must at worst be some kind of hilarious Japlish mistake, and so "Rally Vincent" was born. Keiichi Sonoda (who generally has pretty good knowledge of the US) later on said, "No, it's supposed to be Larry, it's a pseudonym that she adopted on purpose with a guy's name to make clients who hadn't met her take her more seriously." (a la Remington Steele, I suppose.)

Note that in the recent Arslan TV series several romanizations in Funimation's subtitles changed again in the middle of the series, including a few cases of giving up on romanizing a few Parsian/Persian terms with vowels with macrons. So some names may have had up to four romanizations, 2 OVA, 2 TV.
Arachnée

PostPosted: Sun Oct 02, 2016 11:49 am Reply with quote
As I already said here animenewsnetwork.com/bbs/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?t=3049511 :
there are two movies and 4 OVA, not 6 OVA.
H. Guderian

PostPosted: Sun Oct 02, 2016 12:24 pm Reply with quote
The Arlsan TV makes me feel it lacks in character depth, and military believability. Some of the excess they can manage they do without care. For instance compare similar scenes where the enemy fires arrows between two versions. It can be only a handful of archers, the 90's version will thusly show a few arrows. the new version will have arrows so thick and steady they blot out the sun as characters stand calmly beneath and discuss matters. Its an exaggeration.

The original also clears in 15 minutes, the entire first three episodes of the TV series. On one hand it does save a lot of time. Did we actually get an additional 2h45m of depth? I'd say "Somewhat."

The new Arslan isn't bad, but it improves on just as much as it backtracks. Really, I'd tip my hand to the newer TV Anime and say its slightly better, but if you're pressed on time you won't really suffer having only seen the earlier one.
Brainchild129

PostPosted: Sun Oct 02, 2016 12:28 pm Reply with quote
One of my favorites is the major difference in how the FMA manga and the FMA series (well, Brotherhood at least - I can't recall if it comes up in FMA '03) handle the name of the ancient city where the trouble all started. On the show, it's Xerxes, which makes sense. Since the country where everything is set is called Amestris, it's meant to be a reference to the ancient Persian king (and spouse of Amestris) Xerxes I.

In the manga, it changed spellings at least a few times, but most of the time the name looked more like a bad Scrabble hand than a proper name, adding in a few Ss and a C or two for good measure.
Knoepfchen

PostPosted: Sun Oct 02, 2016 1:06 pm Reply with quote
D.Gray-man is quite bad at keeping names consistent between the manga and its two anime series. It takes a bit of an effort to accept Rouvelier and Lvellie as the same character. The fact that the story is set in an alternative history doesn't make it easier to determine if place names are actually misspelled, victims of katakanazation, or have been altered on purpose. As a translator who used to work quite a bit in subtitling (not anime), I find the apparent lack of something like a consistency sheet somewhat baffling. Even if the JA>EN translations of different incarnations are handled by different companies, for a language so dependent on context (see the "Heika" example), keeping track of frequently occurring terms and names would be even more important than in my language pair.
GracieLizzy

PostPosted: Sun Oct 02, 2016 5:45 pm Reply with quote
Sailor Moon has had its far share of name transliteration issues over the years without even getting into the outright changes in the DiC dub. A lot of the genuine mistakes rather than purposeful changes were just due to the amount of obscure mineralogy puns Naoko Takeuchi included. One of my favourite examples of such an error is when TokyoPop / Mixx transliterated Ptilol's name as "Petite Roll" because they didn't pick up on the reference to ptilolite.
jr240483

PostPosted: Sun Oct 02, 2016 7:46 pm Reply with quote
Arachnée wrote:
As I already said here animenewsnetwork.com/bbs/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?t=3049511 :

that may be the case, though the info from its original licensor says otherwise..

Quote:
For some readers and viewers, the updates are a little too familiar – it's very easy to see the face of Alphonse Elric in Arslan's, and the faces of other FMA characters in his war companions.

you cant be surprised arakawa decided on that. considering that al was the most likable and a fan favorite for the entire FMA series, its more a given they use his concepts as arslan for the manga version.

could you imagine if she had decided to use edward's creepy mug instead of Alphonse's? the OVA fans and even the original licensors would have had a field day with it.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
fuuma_monou

PostPosted: Sun Oct 02, 2016 9:26 pm Reply with quote
In the Battle Angel OVA, "Gally" is actually supposed to be GARY, hence Yugo's comment "Isn't that a boy's name?" in the original dialogue, while the subtitles read "Isn't that a weird name?" Of course for the manga Viz changed a whole lot of names for whatever reason.
penguintruth

PostPosted: Sun Oct 02, 2016 11:33 pm Reply with quote
I've been making my way through the Arslan OVA episodes little by little to review for my video series (still have to do the final two), but I find that it does have a very rushed, condensed feeling that comes across even more disorienting after watching the first season (and some of the second) of the TV show.

Thanks for clearing up why they always pronounce it "Arislan" in the English dub. That was bothering me. Sometimes it's the little things that bother the most.

While I probably prefer the overall character designs of the OVA, the TV series is so much better in terms of story and character development. Also, the Arakawa designs give it a vibe of familiarity, as FMA is one of my favorites.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address My Anime My Manga
Arachnée

PostPosted: Sun Oct 02, 2016 11:59 pm Reply with quote
jr240483 wrote:
Arachnée wrote:

that may be the case, though the info from its original licensor says otherwise..

Well, in some countries the movies of "Dragon Ball Z" are considered like OVA but they still are movies don't they?
zawa113

PostPosted: Mon Oct 03, 2016 1:08 am Reply with quote
Man, I think it's just me, but I really hate Hiromu Arakawa's character designs, I just think they're hideous, but I can't really explain why. And it's pretty much all characters, heroes, villains, girls, boys, main characters, side characters, I just think they're all ugly as sin.

But speaking of both Hiromu Arakawa and translation problems, the Viz FMA manga was just all over the place. Maybe they fixed it with new prints, but I recall it was ever changing. I know at first they called Armstrong's sister "Olivia" (reasonable, as that is an actually female name) but then later changed it to "Olivier" (which is a guy's name, but is also the name the anime used). I think they slowly changed translation to match the anime (first the 2003, then Brotherhood).

As for Legend of the Galactic Heroes, if you've never seen the anime, it says the name of absolutely everything the instant it's introduced (even character's random wives who appear for no more than that scene). This extends to just about everything, people, places, spaceships. If anyone could tell me how to pronounce this one (thankfully NOT a major ship in the series) where they must've gone out of their way to make as difficult a name as possible, be my guest. And, just as this picture demonstrates, it always shows names in both Japanese and in Latin alphabet (I wouldn't quite say "English" as the Empire is clearly supposed to be space Germany and just about everyone and every thing has Germany names). And the series will introduce characters more than once if you haven't seen them in a while. I think the only thing they sort of changed was if Poplan's first name is "Oliver" or "Olivier" (at least these are both male names, but Poplan himself probably doesn't care so long as he can chase some tail!)
Gina Szanboti

PostPosted: Mon Oct 03, 2016 1:39 am Reply with quote
Tlahuizcalpantecuhtli (alternate transcriptions use an x instead of z) is the Aztec name for the god that rules Venus. It's pronounced like this.
zawa113

PostPosted: Mon Oct 03, 2016 3:21 am Reply with quote
Gina Szanboti wrote:
Tlahuizcalpantecuhtli (alternate transcriptions use an x instead of z) is the Aztec name for the god that rules Venus. It's pronounced like this.

Thank you! Because they never pronounce it in the show! But if that poor ship is ever in trouble, I think it'd blow space high before anyone finished saying which ship even got hit.
alorian

PostPosted: Tue Oct 04, 2016 7:58 am Reply with quote
classicalzawa wrote:
Man, I think it's just me, but I really hate Hiromu Arakawa's character designs, I just think they're hideous, but I can't really explain why. And it's pretty much all characters, heroes, villains, girls, boys, main characters, side characters, I just think they're all ugly as sin.

...It's not just you. I think Arakawa was a terrible choice for the reboot, it just looks like FMA in the desert. It's not just ugly as sin, everyone looks exactly the same. I can't stand any of the reboot stuff as a result. All of the elegance of Amano's original novel illustrations is gone, and don't even get me started on Pharangese's ridiculous toilet-paper costume, it makes me want to scream.
Azaato

PostPosted: Wed Oct 19, 2016 11:34 am Reply with quote
Quote from the article:
Quote:
One change that amused me in particular was the title of the show's intimidating conqueror-king, Andragoras. The TV series refers to him as “Emperor,” but the game, harkening back to the story's Persian roots, refers to him as “Shah.”

In Japanese manga and the novel, they use "Kokuou" or "Heika" for the word meaning "King" in Arslan Senki. When they use the word "Kokuou", they write "Kokuou" in chinese-character (kanji) with a ruby which is read "Shaao". I guess "Shaao" originated from "Shah", so perhaps that's the reason they use "Shah" in the game.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1