• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
INTEREST: Latest Japanese Sword-Turned-Pretty Boy is Designed by Yoshitaka Amano

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
PinKunoichi

PostPosted: Wed Nov 16, 2016 9:06 pm Reply with quote
So when DMM actually announces new sword boys for the game you don't give it any coverage despite it already having an anime, but when a crappy, if famous, artist jumps on the band wagon with just this one character design you make a whole post about it.... I don't know, I just find this really weird somehow, especially since such a significant sword like Kogarasumaru was just revealed for the game.
ANN_Lynzee
ANN Executive Editor

PostPosted: Wed Nov 16, 2016 9:37 pm Reply with quote
If I'm translating your comment correctly, what you're trying to say is that you'd appreciate more coverage of developments in the Tōken Ranbu video game on ANN? Because I'd be happy to oblige that.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
PinKunoichi

PostPosted: Wed Nov 16, 2016 10:00 pm Reply with quote
Yeah, something like that. I mean, I believe I've seen posts about the happenings in the Kancolle game on here before as well, but little on Touken Ranbu despite it having just as large of a fanbase in Japan, if on not everywhere else.
kiminobokuwa

PostPosted: Wed Nov 16, 2016 10:16 pm Reply with quote
PinKunoichi wrote:
Yeah, something like that. I mean, I believe I've seen posts about the happenings in the Kancolle game on here before as well, but little on Touken Ranbu despite it having just as large of a fanbase in Japan, if on not everywhere else.

I have to agree with this. The only coverage i've ever seen on this news site was about the anime. Nothing else really. Would love to see more Touken Ranbu!!
Mr. Oshawott

PostPosted: Wed Nov 16, 2016 10:33 pm Reply with quote
Okayoshi-san's appearance is as "cosmically" sharp as his meteorite sword. Smile
WANNFH

PostPosted: Wed Nov 16, 2016 11:14 pm Reply with quote
PinKunoichi wrote:
So when DMM actually announces new sword boys for the game you don't give it any coverage despite it already having an anime, but when a crappy, if famous, artist jumps on the band wagon with just this one character design you make a whole post about it.... I don't know, I just find this really weird somehow, especially since such a significant sword like Kogarasumaru was just revealed for the game.
Well, it's not like ANN wrote the news about Iowa and Warspite, which is really significant because it's Allied shipgirls (and now the reveal of USS Saratoga, which appear in tomorrow event) appear in KanColle too, huh? They write what they want to write, and it's not like they need to cover up the news for everything.

And seriously, Yoshitaka Amano isn't the artist who you can call "crappy", by the way. He is the one of the most known artists and character designers worldwide, mostly because of the Final Fantasy.
drakenfyre75

PostPosted: Wed Nov 16, 2016 11:20 pm Reply with quote
I'd like to see more coverage of the game and the anime too, but to have the attitude about them covering Amano doing the art of one of the swords is not respectable of the art he has done, he is in no way a "crappy" artist.
Weazul-chan

PostPosted: Thu Nov 17, 2016 1:19 am Reply with quote
dude, just because you don't like an artist's style doesn't make their work crappy.
alorian

PostPosted: Thu Nov 17, 2016 9:32 am Reply with quote
This headline made it seem like Amano had actually designed a character FOR Touken Ranbu. While I like the design, I'm disappointed it's not a real collaboration.

Also, seconding that more Touken Ranbu coverage on ANN would be welcome. It's like since Hanamaru didn't score a weekly review--which is a shame since it's been super fun--there's hardly anything on this site about the franchise. (The one article I saw was actually an Anime Now one.) Nevermind that it's a hugely popular game, has one anime running and another upcoming, and a not-inconsiderable fanbase. (Seriously. Have you been to a con lately?) I'm not sure episode-review polls are an accurate reflection of interest in an anime/property, since they're kind of short lived and discount anyone who doesn't get in on them in time, but I feel like ANN uses them as a primary reference for what gets covered and what doesn't.

PostPosted: Sat Nov 19, 2016 2:49 am Reply with quote
Yeah, it reeaally makes fans of things like this look bad when someone's calling Amano's art "crappy" like that. Wow. (I still like his Arslan designs better than Arakawa's. Unpopular opinion? I like the hair in Arakawa's version but other than that...)

But yes. More Touken Ranbu coverage. And less misleading articles like this, wow.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1