• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Otakon to Host Anisong World Matsuri Event With JAM Project

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Aresef

PostPosted: Sun Jan 15, 2017 10:04 pm Reply with quote
There are not words to sufficiently express how hyped I am to see them again.
Pikagreg

PostPosted: Sun Jan 15, 2017 10:26 pm Reply with quote
I went to the one at AX last year and it was probably the coolest event I have been to in my life. I have always been a fan of the paid events at Anime Expo every year and Aniplex of America usually has some very interesting events that usually end with a concert.

Last year they only had an SAO event and the usual panel + dub premiere + mini concert was instead given to Viz for One Punch Man. Anisong Japan seemed a bit overwhelming at a 4 hour anime concert but I convinced my friend to go with me and we had a blast. I will definitely be going again this year and am glad we can get larger scale concerts like this in the west.
RazzBerrieCharm

PostPosted: Mon Jan 16, 2017 12:49 am Reply with quote
That sounds awesome! I saw them for their Saturday concert at Otakon Vegas. Heck, it was the only reason I flew to Las Vegas in the first place.

Is it possible to just see them play at Otakon without buying a con badge?
Aresef

PostPosted: Mon Jan 16, 2017 12:54 am Reply with quote
RazzBerrieCharm wrote:
That sounds awesome! I saw them for their Saturday concert at Otakon Vegas. Heck, it was the only reason I flew to Las Vegas in the first place.

No. However, the flip side is you also won't have to buy a separate ticket. Even if it's in another venue (like a few Otakon concerts, including JAM's first one, have been) like the Verizon Center or whatever, if it's an Otakon event, your badge is good to get you in.
Zin5ki

PostPosted: Mon Jan 16, 2017 3:28 am Reply with quote
Aresef wrote:
Even if it's in another venue (like a few Otakon concerts, including JAM's first one, have been) like the Verizon Center or whatever, if it's an Otakon event, your badge is good to get you in.

Curious. Is it common practice for a single convention to span multiple venues? More to the point, was this typical for Otakon in its Baltimore years?
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
invalidname
Contributor

PostPosted: Mon Jan 16, 2017 6:58 am Reply with quote
Zin5ki wrote:
Curious. Is it common practice for a single convention to span multiple venues? More to the point, was this typical for Otakon in its Baltimore years?

It is indeed common at the biggest cons, when the act is enough of a draw to fill a conventional theater, and when there's a suitable facility attached or nearby. In my experience, at Anime Central, the Rosemont Theater is a nice 4,000-seat theater a short walk south from the convention center. In 2013, ACen hosted Kalafina there, and in 2015 they had SCANDAL. In those other years, they just had their big acts in their biggest ballrooms (Wake Up Girls in 2014 and Eri Aoi in 2016). A big convention center ballroom might well have 2,000+ seats (this is how I saw Eir Aoi at Anime Weekend Atlanta in 2015), but it's obviously not as nice: a stage riser and portable convention center chairs, versus a real stage, real lighting grid, real theater seats, etc.
Jeff Bauersfeld

PostPosted: Mon Jan 16, 2017 8:25 am Reply with quote
Welp, I know what I'm doing at Otakon this year! Saw them at the Otakon Music Festival with some of my friends. Having a bunch of 20-40 somethings shouting out the "GA GA GA GA GA GA GAO GAI GAR" or the lyrics to One Piece in such an intimate venue was the most hype experience of my life.

I just hope people actually show up; I've been to some really great concerts at conventions that don't even half fill the room. I can't remember how the turnout was at the TM Revolution concert at the arena when Otakon had their anniversary.
Aresef

PostPosted: Mon Jan 16, 2017 10:36 am Reply with quote
Zin5ki wrote:
Aresef wrote:
Even if it's in another venue (like a few Otakon concerts, including JAM's first one, have been) like the Verizon Center or whatever, if it's an Otakon event, your badge is good to get you in.

Yes. Several concerts were held at Royal Farms Arena a couple blocks away, as was the masquerade going back for more than a decade. For 2009 on, they used the new Hilton next door and a couple years had an evening dance event in the Hyatt.
omoikane

PostPosted: Mon Jan 16, 2017 1:26 pm Reply with quote
Aresef wrote:
RazzBerrieCharm wrote:

No. However, the flip side is you also won't have to buy a separate ticket. Even if it's in another venue (like a few Otakon concerts, including JAM's first one, have been) like the Verizon Center or whatever, if it's an Otakon event, your badge is good to get you in.

Do you speak from a position of in-the-know or are you going by what have happened in previous years?
Aresef

PostPosted: Mon Jan 16, 2017 2:31 pm Reply with quote
Previous years. Otakon Vegas a couple years back took pains to note the Lantis Festival wasn't an Otakon event. Here, the concert is clearly part of Otakon. Even when they've had labels and such involved like Tofu and Avex, if it's a convention event, they don't charge extra for it. When you register, you are getting a membership in their nonprofit. As Otakon is technically it's annual meeting, it wouldn't make sense to wall off event space only for the members who are more equal than others.
KSweeley

PostPosted: Mon Feb 20, 2017 3:46 pm Reply with quote
An update, the Anisong World Matsuri will be a separate paid event from Otakon 2017: https://www.otakon.com/register/

Quote:

PLEASE NOTE: THE ANISONG WORLD MATSURI IS A SEPARATE TICKETED EVENT, ORGANIZED BY OUR INDUSTRY PARTNERS. ADMISSION TO ANISONG WORLD WILL REQUIRE AN ADDITIONAL TICKET AS WELL AS A VALID OTAKON 2017 MEMBERSHIP BADGE.

DETAILS ON HOW TO PURCHASE AWM TICKETS WILL BE POSTED SOON.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1