• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Funimation Reveals English Dub Cast For Saga of Tanya the Evil Anime

Goto page 1, 2  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
penguintruth

PostPosted: Sun Jan 22, 2017 5:14 am Reply with quote
I look forward to hearing Monica Rial go to town with this over-the-top role.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address My Anime My Manga
joe_g7

PostPosted: Sun Jan 22, 2017 6:11 am Reply with quote
Monica Rial?? Really?? Doesn't suit the role at all. Another anime character destroyed by english dub.
ultimatehaki

PostPosted: Sun Jan 22, 2017 6:57 am Reply with quote
joe_g7 wrote:
Monica Rial?? Really?? Doesn't suit the role at all. Another anime character destroyed by english dub.

I don't know about that, this isn't her first time playing a hardcore little girl role or hardcore female role in general. I'm sure she can pull it off.
diamoundheadx

PostPosted: Sun Jan 22, 2017 7:10 am Reply with quote
joe_g7 wrote:

dude she is really good at her job and will probably do a good job here
joe_g7

PostPosted: Sun Jan 22, 2017 7:16 am Reply with quote
diamoundheadx wrote:
joe_g7 wrote:

I'm not saying she's a bad voice actress, she does her job well. I'm saying she's the wrong choice for this role, her voice would be too incompatible with the character's personality.
Random Name

PostPosted: Sun Jan 22, 2017 7:50 am Reply with quote
joe_g7 wrote:
her voice would be too incompatible with the character's personality.

I was thinking the opposite is true and I am really looking forward to it. I guess will know for sure tomorrow (assuming I can log into Funi....and they put it up...and it plays....so like 30% chance will know tomorrow).
Punch Drunk Marc

PostPosted: Sun Jan 22, 2017 8:22 am Reply with quote
joe_g7 wrote:
diamoundheadx wrote:
joe_g7 wrote:

I'm not saying she's a bad voice actress, she does her job well. I'm saying she's the wrong choice for this role, her voice would be too incompatible with the character's personality.

I highly doubt that. She's played characters with this type of personality before. Very well in fact.
Animegomaniac

PostPosted: Sun Jan 22, 2017 8:47 am Reply with quote
Monica Rial could make this worth watching. Ok, I'll give it a try.
Surrender Artist

PostPosted: Sun Jan 22, 2017 8:48 am Reply with quote
I haven't even watched this show, but from just looking at the character and a short synopsis, if you had asked me to cast Tanya, I would have suggested Monica Rial. Then again, there are a lot of cases where you can get away with that; she's really rather versatile. I've heard her ably portray the voices of everything from breathy and timid-sounding (E.g. Hyatt from Excel Saga or Kirika from Noir) to low and assertive (E.g. Jo from Burst Angel and Michiko from MIchiko e Hatchin). Tanya is probably well within her range and strikes me as a fine fit to the actress' personality too.

This series has me a little curious and I can be a sucker for Monica Rial, so there's a half of a chance that I might get around to watching it some day.

Last edited by Surrender Artist on Sun Jan 22, 2017 8:50 am; edited 1 time in total
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Snakebit1995

PostPosted: Sun Jan 22, 2017 8:49 am Reply with quote
I'm not a fan of this show but I am a fan of dub casting so I came to give a comment.

Not saying Monica Rial is a bad choice but the first time I heard they were gonna be dubbing this show and I saw the MC my mind immediately went to Luci Cristian, Monica is a good second choice through. I don't know why I think Luci maybe the character just has that look and she does a good crazy psycho voice.
7jaws7

PostPosted: Sun Jan 22, 2017 9:13 am Reply with quote
I thought the same thing when she played Mokocchi: Monica might not be the best choice, but she sure is the safest.
luisedgarf

PostPosted: Sun Jan 22, 2017 12:15 pm Reply with quote
As long they don't give them over-the-top German accents, I'm OK with the dub.
Mikasa_su_casa

PostPosted: Sun Jan 22, 2017 12:18 pm Reply with quote
Monica Rial as Tanya, I'm not surprised. I think I'm going to want to hear this.

Snakebit1995 wrote:
Not saying Monica Rial is a bad choice but the first time I heard they were gonna be dubbing this show and I saw the MC my mind immediately went to Luci Cristian, Monica is a good second choice through. I don't know why I think Luci maybe the character just has that look and she does a good crazy psycho voice.

Does Luci do loli voices though? All I really l remember is her 'normal' voice.
Key

PostPosted: Sun Jan 22, 2017 12:59 pm Reply with quote
Mikasa_su_casa wrote:
Does Luci do loli voices though? All I really l remember is her 'normal' voice.

See Princess Tutu.

When I was watching episode 3 the other day and thinking about who might dub various roles in English, Monica Rial was the first VA to come to mind for Tanya. I can't see any reason why she won't do fine in the role.

In any case, expect commentary on the dub in this week's episode review.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Punch Drunk Marc

PostPosted: Sun Jan 22, 2017 1:10 pm Reply with quote
Snakebit1995 wrote:
I'm not a fan of this show but I am a fan of dub casting so I came to give a comment.

I could see that but Luci Christian is nearly Sentai-centric at this point and does almost no starring roles for Funi anymore outside of Nami in One Piece. Uraraka was the first starring role she got for the company outside of OP in years to my recollection.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2